Question about NYC Visit

nvqa1

I have been recommended to this site and specifically to 138east who I am told is the font of all knowledge about getting around NYC.

My wife and I arrive on the QM2 at Red Hook on 20 Oct our intention is to get the NY Ferry from Red Hook to pier 11 wall street then get a taxi from there to Plaza Hotel where we have a horsedrawn carriage tour of central park booked.

We then intend to walk back down 5th avenue shopping ending up at Macys (more shopping) then taxi back to pier 11 and ferry back to Red Hook to rejoin QM2.

Is this a sensible plan? ant alternatives welcome.

I have been recommended to this site and specifically to 138east who I am told is the font of all knowledge about getting around NYC.

My wife and I arrive on the QM2 at Red Hook on 20 Oct our intention is to get the NY Ferry from Red Hook to pier 11 wall street then get a taxi from there to Plaza Hotel where we have a horsedrawn carriage tour of central park booked.

We then intend to walk back down 5th avenue shopping ending up at Macys (more shopping) then taxi back to pier 11 and ferry back to Red Hook to rejoin QM2.

Is this a sensible plan? ant alternatives welcome.

What are your port times? What time is your carriage ride? It turns out that the ferry is very popular and delays have been reported due to capacity constraints.

I believe we dock at Red Hook between 0630 and 0700. Our carriage ride is at 1000 from corner of Plaza Hotel

The carriage ride could be too early. It's a Friday. The ferry crowding issues have been during rush hour.

What time does Cunard say you should really be able to disembark? What time do you have to be back in Brooklyn?

A few thoughts - I would strongly recommending moving back the CP horse carriage ride back to 10:30 or 11 AM, just to be on the safe side.

The quickest way, not the scenic water ferry & taxi ride on a weekday (Friday) morning when mass transit is packed with commuters - take a taxi/car service to nearby subway station - F line is good - buy a Metro Card for fares, and take the F line to 57th Street/6th Avenue, then walk 4 or 5 blocks toward Central Park South (or, wherever the carriage coach is waiting)

Otherwise, the nearby ferry ride to Wall Street alone could take as much as 45 to 60 minutes during the morning rush hour. A taxi (or even car service) would be subject to commuter traffic going uptown and worst, going across-town ... a nice/comfortable ride but could take 45+ minutes.

From CPS, it's about 1.75 mile walk to Macy's at W. 34th Street, a 45 minutes walk but easily 1 hour on a slowr pace (comfortable walking shoes) Somewhere along your route, plan for a quick lunch stop -

Time permitting, the ride back (@ 2 PM - 2:30 PM is cutting it close) to Red Hook via Wall Street on the ferry is fine - check the schedule & allow for delayed boarding due to capacity limits. Fastest & reliable way from Macy's to Wall Street pier is via the tube (underground subway ... stopping within 3 to 4 blocks from the waterfront) in about 20 - 25 minutes during off-peak hours, it will be faster than a taxi.

I just did a quick online news search to see what I could find out about the reported overcrowding. The two reports I found pertained specifically to the route that runs to/from Long Island City and to the Rockaway route. (When I was at Pier 11 a couple of weeks ago, in the early afternoon, there was an extremely long queue for the Rockaway ferry, which doesn't stop at Red Hook; the vast majority of people waiting for that ferry looked to be heading toward Rockaway beach for an afternoon of fun in the sun.)

The South Brooklyn route (the route that stops at Red Hook) was not mentioned, although I would not be surprised if the morning rush-hour ferries are also crowded with business commuters heading toward Lower Manhattan. However, if my experience is anything to go by, there will be plenty of seats on the ferry from Manhattan to Red Hook in mid-afternoon.

According to the timetable on the NYC ferry website, the 7:52 ferry from Red Hook should arrive at Pier 11/Wall Street at 8:13. The 8:22 would get you there at 8:43, and the 8:52 gets there at 9:13. To return to Red Hook for a 3:30 pm (15:30) boarding, you'll want to be back at Pier 11 by 2:15 (14:15) or so in order to be sure of making the 2:30 (14:30) ferry, arriving back to Red Hook at 2:52 (14:52). However, a couple of weeks ago I took the 3:15 (15:15) ferry, arriving at Red Hook at 3:37 (15:37); several crew members from the QM2 were aboard. The Red Hook ferry dock is just a three-minutes' walk from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/south-brooklyn/

A few thoughts - I would strongly recommending moving back the CP horse carriage ride back to 10:30 or 11 AM, just to be on the safe side.

I agree; I think this is what I would do myself. Just to be on the safe side, as you say.

The quickest way, not the scenic water ferry & taxi ride on a weekday (Friday) morning when mass transit is packed with commuters - take a taxi/car service to nearby subway station - F line is good - buy a Metro Card for fares, and take the F line to 57th Street/6th Avenue, then walk 4 or 5 blocks toward Central Park South (or, wherever the carriage coach is waiting)

However, isn't the F train even more likely to be packed with rush-hour commuters? A packed subway car is considerably less pleasant that a crowded ferry.:eek: (Not to mention that there have been numerous problems/delays on various subway routes in recent weeks.)

Otherwise, the nearby ferry ride to Wall Street alone could take as much as 45 to 60 minutes during the morning rush hour.

Why? I very much doubt that would the case. There are no traffic jams on the river. ;) It would take just a few minutes for 100 people to board the ferry at any given stop en-route; the ferries stay at each stop for several minutes anyway--time that is built into the published schedule.

A taxi (or even car service) would be subject to commuter traffic going uptown and worst, going across-town ... a nice/comfortable ride but could take 45+ minutes.

From CPS, it's about 1.75 mile walk to Macy's at W. 34th Street, a 45 minutes walk but easily 1 hour on a slowr pace (comfortable walking shoes) Somewhere along your route, plan for a quick lunch stop -

Time permitting, the ride back (@ 2 PM - 2:30 PM is cutting it close) to Red Hook via Wall Street on the ferry is fine - check the schedule & allow for delayed boarding due to capacity limits.

The South Brooklyn ferries to Red Hook haven't been crowded at all when I've been on them at this time of day. This shouldn't be a concern, although the early morning ferry to Pier 11/Wall Street might be.

nvqa1~ See my previous post about the ferry times back to Red Hook.

Fastest & reliable way from Macy's to Wall Street pier is via the tube (underground subway ... stopping within 3 to 4 blocks from the waterfront) in about 20 - 25 minutes during off-peak hours, it will be faster than a taxi.

I agree completely. :)

On board the South Brooklyn ferry departing Pier 11 early/mid-afternoon on a weekday this past June when the QM2 was docked at Red Hook:

2i0zp8y.jpg

As to the carriage ride (Hansom Cab) you can pre-book them, don't know about times.

Here is a Broadway Ticket website that sells them, I'm sure some more internet search can fine others.

https://broadway.showtickets.com/new-york-tours-attractions/central-park-horse-and-carriage-tour/?aff=st2604dc

Here is the Central Park Conservatory website on carriage rides: http://www.centralpark.com/guide/activities/horse-drawn-carriages.html

Times listed on the page and you can book there too.

Available Times and Duration:

• Monday to Friday: 10am - 12am

• Saturday & Sunday: 9am - 12am

• Tours last 30 or 45 minutes

• Additional time may be purchased for $55 per 15 minutes

• MARRIAGE PROPOSALS: Please add 15 mins extra if you want to get out of the carriage to propose (45 minute rides only). Due to route specifics, 30 minute rides are not available for marriage proposals that require a stop to get out of the carriage.