Gratuities - Cash ???

Tarnished45

I've only sailed Royal Caribbean & Holland America.

I'm on Disney Magic transatlantic in September this year and am sooooooooo excited.

I like to pay (& usually overpay) gratuities cash. Does DCL let you remove them from your room account to let you pay cash?

Thank you.

I've only sailed Royal Caribbean & Holland America.

I'm on Disney Magic transatlantic in September this year and am sooooooooo excited.

I like to pay (& usually overpay) gratuities cash. Does DCL let you remove them from your room account to let you pay cash?

Thank you.

Yes you can go to Guest Services onboard and ask them to remove the grats from your account. It's probably best to explain to them that you prefer to hand over cash first as they may see it as you are dissatisfied with the service.

They can provide you with the envelopes for each person for the cash.

ex techie

We asked our favorite server which method works best for him--he prefers the charged system because he is supporting a family at home.

However, your method of tipping is totally up to you. You can go to GS and increase, decrease, or remove the standard tips. As above, if removing, I'd suggest a comment that you prefer to use cash.

By charging to the account, I get the reward dollars from my credit card, it is easy to track amounts, etc. No need to carry a wad of cash, and my server gets his check from DCL.

Right - clarifying what I said above, many of the crew keep the pre-set tips in their accounts and send money from there (cheaper) and keep cash tips (to a point) for onshore expenses etc.

We asked our favorite server which method works best for him--he prefers the charged system because he is supporting a family at home.

However' date=' your method of tipping is totally up to you. You can go to GS and increase, decrease, or remove the standard tips. As above, if removing, I'd suggest a comment that you prefer to use cash.

By charging to the account, I get the reward dollars from my credit card, it is easy to track amounts, etc. No need to carry a wad of cash, and my server gets his check from DCL.[/quote']

I think regardless of what is easier (and it's cool to say if it is for the CM), the OP should be able to give the expected tip, or more or less in cash if they so wish.

It only means a quick drop off to the Crew Office to hand over the cash to be credited to their account at some point.

In the old days there used to be a massive queue on pay day as you had to cash your check, get the cash, then hand over what you wanted to put on your account for ship board purchases, with often only 3 or 4 people servicing you.

Now with automated account crediting, it is a lot less labor intensive and less need to visit.

But the Crew Office has published hours, and you have to drop in to speak to them to change a standing amount sent from the account like if they have had a bad week and the account is dry or to add more if the account is high, and any other issues you have aboard the ship, so don't feel so sorry for them.

The office is there and available and whilst easier, it really isn't a major hassle to keep cash in their personal cabin safe until they can go there at some point.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie