Venice Overnight-- Tender to St. Mark's Sq.?

descartes1

On our next SilverSea voyage we have an overnight in Venice.

Does anyone know if the ship supplies tender service from the cruise terminal/dock to St. Mark's Square.

Otherwise, it's a long walk.

I suspect water taxi service is available from the cruise terminal/dock, but not sure of the convenience, and also the price (which I suspect would be very steep).

No tender as far as I am aware but certainly no need to walk. There is a vaporetti stop not far from all docking.

You might be interested in an earlier post on getting from the ship to St Marks and my personal tip about going "the wrong way" but better way down the Grand Canal to get there. The last para might be of interest.

Enjoy your Venice visit and ask anything.

:)

Jeff

I am so envious of anyone's first visit to Venice!! How long do you have there?

Some generalities which I hope will give you a starter.

Venice is all about walking and the vaporetti - for which you can get cheap tickets for your visit. Walking always entails getting lost so get a good pocket map. Venice is also lovely on a rainy night. Venice is so magical and mysterious at night. Very atmospheric if you still have the romantic gene in you!

If you are interested the first European Jewish ghetto was in Venice which was one of the few places in Europe tolerant to Jews (actually they wanted their international banking talents .... ) and it is still a really interesting and original area to visit. Still has it's lockable night gates and is still the Jewish quarter.

You could if so inclined and want to be a bit local, make some of your eating plans around "picnics" and you'll get some nice bread and cheese and cold meats in many of the small markets and stores including the main one spanning the Rialto bridge. If you eat in a restaurant steer clear of the tourist areas and walk some distance out and eat where locals eat. A gentle warning. Venice is the restaurant and cafe overcharging capial of Europe. But if you follow this advice you'll be fine. Be aware that many restaurants and bars apply a two tier (I suspect three or infinite tier - a price for family, another for Venetians, another for Italians, another for the police, another for foreigners, and then the sliding sale ....... ) pricing which basically means they overcharge all visitors. This has been a scandal over the years and bars and restaurants must display prices by law. This means that when you are eating in any establishment in a prime tourist area you are going to pay a high starting price even based on advertised prices, and then pay some more when stuff is inflated or added. So do not take your coffee on the tables and chairs on any of the piazzas and ALWAYS make sure you've seen the price list before you sit down and order anything. I consider myself fairly canny but I managed to be stiffed with a 20 euro expresso on my last trip. As long as you get a menu with prices, and check the bill you should be fine.

If you want to ride on a gondola, ask and neogiate first. It is very expensive. A very cheap cheeky alternaitve is that you'll see ferries going across the Grand Canal that are gondolas. The gondola expeience for a few cents!

This would be my top tip for the Grand Canal tour! The secret of taking a vaporetti ride on the Grand Canal is to go "the wrong way" ie make your way to one of the stops at the top of the canal or say from Chiesa dei Gesuati and then go down the canal arriving at rather than starting from any of the stops near San Marco. Everyone starts at the St Marco end which is a great shame and seems to me to be the wrong and less scenic way. My way will also be less crowded and if you get on at the stop I suggest you may be able to get a seat at the front or work your way there.

Is this of any help? Ask anything more ......

As mentioned, you don't have to walk. We just returned.

Once you leave the port area, head over to the new People Mover. Tickets are 1,50 Euros and the machine makes change. Take the one stop to Piazzila Roma. Cross the plaza towards the 10:00 position (after exiting the People Mover) and you'll come to the vaporetto stop. (you can also just ask anyone)

Buy your ticket (I would suggest a 24 hr ticket which will also take you out to Murano and Burano if you so choose) and have a great time.

It depends on where you dock. If it is the old port you can walk to the Vaporetto and take that to St Marks Sq. There may also be a complementary water taxi but you might have to wait a long time for one so the Vaporetto is probably quicker.

If you dock in the new port there will probably be a complementary water taxi that will take you to St Marks Sq. It runs on a schedule (probably every 1/2 hr). It is a long walk from the ship to the dock. There is supposed to be a shuttle bus from the ship but on the day we were there it was no running and we needed to walk. If the water taxi is not provided then you will need to take an even longer walk to the People Mover and proceed as already described.

We did back-backs in Sept. Ended week 1 in Venice with an overnight and week 2 was rt Venice with an overnight. Week 1 we were in the new port and week 2 the old. The turnaround day in the new port there was no water taxi and needed to take the People Mover to get to town.