Difference in wheelchair accessible cabins

arzier

We have just been given our cabin number for our next cruise on QM2. It is 10053. I see that this cabin is wheelchair accessible. Does anyone know what differences there would be in the cabin.

The biggest difference is the bathroom where the shower is of the "wet room" type. Cunard has some photos here and a video

You booked a guarantee and they assigned you a Q7? It might change - or might not. We had a post not too long ago with somebody in the same situation. He was bewildered how he, an able bodied person, got assigned a Q7 when there were at least a dozen other passengers who would have found the features a convenience rather than an annoyance. (The cabinet heights are designed with full time wheel chair users in mind.)

This is one of the pitfalls of booking a late deal and/or a guarantee. The savings have to be worth leaving your cabin selection to Cunard.

Edited by BlueRiband

We had an accessible Grills cabin allocated on QV recently. The cabinets were exactly the same height as other cabins. The wetroom was actually great, though a tad short of storage. The cabin had loads of room, obviously for a wheelchair. The bugbear for us - being able bodied - was the balcony, as almost half of it was taken up by the ramp, meaning we had a large table and chairs but no room for the usual loungers.

However, the balcony aside, I'd have no qualms about having this cabin again.

Thank you for you replies. Yes BlueRiband that is one of the pitfalls of booking a guaranteed cabin. My TA did phone Cunard who said the only difference would be a wet room without bath, handrails ( well my husband is 70:) ), and a ramp onto the balcony. The plus is that the room is larger. I did find a Cunard video where they showed the ramp and unlike the one you mentioned Cruiseluvva this one was quite small. I sure that it will be fine!

We are just off QM2 and cabin 10053. It is a great cabin. The only difference is the open shower which we preferred. More room all around. I will probably book this type of cabin in future.

By the way 10032 is a P1 category.

F

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes it is a P1 cabin. Could I ask you kirkc if you had sun loungers on the balcony? Cruiseluvva did mention that she had been in a wheelchair accessible cabin on QV and the ramp took up a lot of space on the balcony leaving not enough room for sun loungers. We are on the QM2 for 20 days and loungers would be appreciated.

We certainly wouldn't want to keep this cabin in someone really needed the facilities Chunky2219

We were assigned an accessible cabin on QV in August 2015 and loved it! There was loads more space in the room and we also had a huge balcony. It was deeper (situated where the centre of the ship juts out) and also longer (as the room itself was wider than the normal balcony.

I felt that there was not as much storage space as in a normal balcony room, but we managed to jam all our clothes into the wardrobe.

I hope you enjoy your stateroom as much as we enjoyed ours.

Hello fantasy51. Thank you for your positive comments. After all the comments in favour of an accessible cabin I now feel confident that our cruise will be everything we had wished for.

Sent from my iPad using Forums