QG Stateroom 8166 Balcony, off-menu ordering etc.

Normandie_Nostalgic

We are booked on a Rome to Trieste 7-day cruise in July. I would have a few questions for the members of the forum.

Our stateroom will be 8166, a Q6 on deck 8. It looks like a fabulous location, on the highest accommodation deck, and right in the axis of the ship facing astern. There may be a bit of noise due to the passenger deck overhead, but I am not worried by that. On teh QE last year, we were just below the pool area, and we did not hear anything. However, I wonder about the actual size of the stateroom, and especially of the balcony. Web-available data disagree, and I was unable to find any photo or video of such a cabin on the web either. The Q5 on each corner, or which there are videos on youtube, seem totally similar, albeit with a larger wrap-around balcony.

Also, it will be our first Queen’s Grill cruise on a contemporary Queen (my last QG experience dating from the beloved QE2 - those were the days). We are naturally looking forward to untold culinary delight, and being a bit of a foodie, I am planning to try off-menu ordering, that is one of the main attractions of the QG. Cunard marketing states that no request is too much trouble, and I am sure that the waiting staff and the chefs will do their very best, but I wonder though how far one can practically take them. Do they have suggestions, the culinary equivalent of a FAQ ? Or can one ask pretty much anything, with a good chance of getting it and being happy with it ? Will they humour repeated off menu ordering, or is it something to indulge only occasionally ?

Could anybody share some insight ? Thanks in advance.

We are booked on a Rome to Trieste 7-day cruise in July. I would have a few questions for the members of the forum.

Our stateroom will be 8166, a Q6 on deck 8. It looks like a fabulous location, on the highest accommodation deck, and right in the axis of the ship facing astern. There may be a bit of noise due to the passenger deck overhead, but I am not worried by that. On teh QE last year, we were just below the pool area, and we did not hear anything. However, I wonder about the actual size of the stateroom, and especially of the balcony. Web-available data disagree, and I was unable to find any photo or video of such a cabin on the web either. The Q5 on each corner, or which there are videos on youtube, seem totally similar, albeit with a larger wrap-around balcony.

Also, it will be our first Queen’s Grill cruise on a contemporary Queen (my last QG experience dating from the beloved QE2 - those were the days). We are naturally looking forward to untold culinary delight, and being a bit of a foodie, I am planning to try off-menu ordering, that is one of the main attractions of the QG. Cunard marketing states that no request is too much trouble, and I am sure that the waiting staff and the chefs will do their very best, but I wonder though how far one can practically take them. Do they have suggestions, the culinary equivalent of a FAQ ? Or can one ask pretty much anything, with a good chance of getting it and being happy with it ? Will they humour repeated off menu ordering, or is it something to indulge only occasionally ?

Could anybody share some insight ? Thanks in advance.

If the ingredients are on the ship, then you can order it and hopefully it will meet your expectations.

You can eat off the menu every meal if you want but it's usual to order for lunch and dinner in advance. If the following day's menu hasn't been delivered to your suite before you go to dinner, ask to see it in the restaurant and you can decide if the menu suits or if you wish to order. Unless it's something which needs a few days to prepare such as Peking Duck, this will give the chefs enough notice.

I've never ordered off menu on the first night but after that, whenever I felt like it.

Enjoy. :)

We were on QE 3 May, 4188 a corner one. No noise inside or outside, a fab cabin. Our Butler and assistant were very attentive without being over the top and enjoyed our chat every afternoon when he bought our canapés

we were spoilt in the restaurant I doubt in the 7 days you have if you will be able to do justice to the two menus as there are many alternatives.

Have a good trip

Brian

I think that you are absolutely right. 7 days is not enough !

In fact I am contemplating getting back on board QV in Istanbul for another 7-day cruise, while we are still in Europe at large. A bit extravagant, maybe, but why not ? That should give us ample time to experience the QG further.:)

Make a friend of your Head Waiter and/or Maitre d' and they will have plenty of suggestions for off-menu fare. They will delight in cooking up their own specialties and favourites table side and the QG chefs seem to enjoy knocking up the odd curry or something above and beyond a humble hamburger. On board there are chefs of all nationalities who welcome the chance to cook some home food for you.

Discuss your yearnings at lunch in time to sort things for dinner. Something adventurous may be a next day order.

Nominally, off-menu and even a la carte are not available on the evening of the Captain's reception because of the rush to QG after everyone has had their glass of fizz and smiling photograph. But if you are happy to miss the reception and hit the restaurant early it will be much appreciated and fancy food will still be available by prior arrangement.

If you ask for the grilled elephant ears, be sure to specify African or Indian to avoid confusion and possible disappointment.

Enjoy your voyage!

Hilarious. Thanks. You made my day ! :D

I wish I'd made that one up, but it goes back to a (maybe apocryphal) story about Andrew Nelder - long time Maitre d' on QE2 and latterly until he retired, QV.

A passenger asked for the ears and without missing a beat, he asked which version Sir would like.