Oman Visa

Desm

My wife and I are Australian citizens travelling from Singapore to Dubai on Celebrity Century in April via India and Oman.

I'm trying to get a sensible answer about visa requirements for Oman, the Sultanate of Oman website says that cruise passengers and crew will be granted a 48 hour visa at no charge if the ships agents provide a list of passengers prior to arrival.

I've queried Celebrity about this and their response has been unhelpful, even though the FAQs on their website refer to the arrangement for Canadian and US citizens.

Has anyone else visted Muscat and if so what were the arrangements for visas, especially if you were traveling on a non US or Canadian passport?

We visited Muscat in April 2014 on a Princess ship and we didn't have to obtain a visa ourselves so the ship takes care of the formalities. The only place we had to obtain our own visa was for India.

Don't miss the sail in to the port in the early morning. The sight of the rising sun on the surrounding hills and the 'Incense Burner' is wonderful. Muscat is a fascinating place to visit so I hope you enjoy your stay.

Thanks bronte2, we've already applied for our Indian visas but the one for Oman is proving a bit of a challenge. I emailed Celebrity and got the standard "visas are the guests responsibility" reply so I again queried them giving them a link to the Sultanate of Oman visa details and also pointing out that according to their FAQs, they obtain a bulk visa for US and Canadian citizens. Their response was unhelpful, "we don't have that information in our database but based on the information you have provided you shouldn't have any problem"???

Visa on arrival is available at a cost so I guess our best option is to assume that Celebrity will sort it out on board and if necessary pay the fee on arrival.

Thanks again, also for the sunrise tip!

Thanks bronte2, we've already applied for our Indian visas but the one for Oman is proving a bit of a challenge. I emailed Celebrity and got the standard "visas are the guests responsibility" reply so I again queried them giving them a link to the Sultanate of Oman visa details and also pointing out that according to their FAQs, they obtain a bulk visa for US and Canadian citizens. Their response was unhelpful, "we don't have that information in our database but based on the information you have provided you shouldn't have any problem"???

Visa on arrival is available at a cost so I guess our best option is to assume that Celebrity will sort it out on board and if necessary pay the fee on arrival.

Thanks again, also for the sunrise tip!

Don't worry Desm, you don't have to do anything.

We have done a number of international cruises although not with Celebrity and what has happened on our cruises is that on check in at the port, your passport is collected and retained on board for the duration of the cruise. You will be given a receipt so make sure you keep it safe!

This means that the immigration officials for most of the countries come on board often at a previous port and just stamp all the passports with their relevant entry permit. This is obviously what happened in Oman. We never saw the officials but our passports have both entry and exit stamps. One stamp indicates a 48 hour transit permit.

In countries where the immigration people demand a face to face such as India and South Africa you will be given instructions to collect your passport to present to the officials in one of the ship's venues usually the day before you arrive at the relevant port.

Everywhere else it is simple - sometimes you need to complete an arrival form to hand into the admin people on the ship but even then, they fill it all our electronically and usually you just have to sign.

So relax, the documentation from TAs and the cruise lines always state that visas are your responsibility and in some instances it is, but most of the countries we have visited the entry formalities have been handled by the ship.

Unless the rules have changed in the last 8 months for Oman, I'm confident that you don't need to do anything.

I think the info that the Sultanate of Oman has provided ties in with our experience. The shipping company provide the details and Oman issues a 48 hour transit permit. For passengers, it happens behind the scenes.

I hope this explains the process a bit better, just relax and enjoy your cruise.

Thanks again bronte2, fortunately my email to the Omani Consulate has cleared up the situation. Visa on Arrival is provided free to travellers staying up to 24 hours and there's a charge of R.O.5 for an extension up to 96 hours.

It's been our experience too that visa arrangements are often handled by the cruise line unless like India, China, Japan etc it's a country that insists on issuing an individual visa for entry.

Given previous experience with RCL on visa queries and given that they're owned by the same Company I'm surprised at the lack of information from Celebrity.

Maybe the person who handled my email was having a bad day!

• 11 months later...

Hi, I always use Visalink to check for visa needs although often ships organise blanket visas.

We are on Hollamd America cruise from Singapore to Southampton and the only visa we need to organise is India. Which I hear is a pain. How did you go with that? Did you do the online? Then do you take it to the consulate?

Do you need your air tickets? It's ridiculous really. All they need to know is the entry dates to India.

Very frustrating and I haven't even started.

Thanks.

We got our Indian Visas through VFS who as I recall were quite efficient. The main problem we had was the Indian bureaucracy which is unbelievable, before we arrived in Cochin, our first Indian port we had to meticulously fill out forms on board for each of the four ports which took about an hour then at the first port we had to form a conga line which stretched over about three decks so that the Indian immigration officials could do a face to face check of every one going ashore. Celebrity tried to speed things up, but never get in the way of an Indian bureaucrat!! It improved at future ports but it was just sheer madness compared to so many ports where you can just walk off the ship. the only other country remotely as bad is Japan because they won't allow their officials to board at the previous port like most nations.

Never mind India is a fascinating place, very different to OZ and I'm sure you'll eventually get to enjoy it.

As I recall the only documentation required is your Passport and a copy of your itinerary. I think I filled in the form on their website then downloaded it and printed it, you can't lodge online but their are options for courier lodgement or you can just go to their office. Check out their website for the latest details.

• 3 months later...

We are Canadians and will be ending a cruise at the port of Muscat, Oman. We will arrive at 9am, stay onboard overnight, then depart for the airport the following day for a flight leaving at 12:45pm (therefore approximately 28 hours in Oman). Do you think we will need a visa?

Yes you will need a visa.

I don't know how it works when you arrive by boat and end the cruise in muscat.

ShiPS usually don't END the cruise there.

Passengers on a day visit should get some document identifying them as cruise passengers.

Arriving in the country by plane is straight forward and you can easily buy a visa on arrival at the airport (for most "western" passport holders at least ).

There should be information on the website of the Royal Oman Police , who deal with pretty much EVERYTHING in Oman

http://Www.rop.gov. *****

The website is -as mOst things in Oman - quite convoluted, but with some digging around you'll find answers.

P.s.

This is off the website of the Oman High Comission in Melbourne, Australia.

Should also apply to Canadians.

According to this you can get visa on arrival also at sea ports . Generally easy and straight forward.

I would NOT attempt to do that pre-arranged visa thing.

Sounds A LOT more complicated

OMAN CONSULATE GENERAL IN AUSTRALIA

Single Entry Visa

This Single Entry Visa can be used for tourist or business purposes.

A Single Entry Visa is valid for 30 days and upon issue is valid for a period of 6 months. Single Entry Visas can be extended for a further 30 days. If the visa holder remains in the Sultanate of Oman without an extended visa - a fee of 10 Omani Rials each day will apply. Any person who enters the Sultanate of Oman on a Single Entry Visa is not allowed to undertake paid or unpaid work.

Australian citizens have two options:

Australian citizens are permitted to enter the Sultanate of Oman without a pre-obtained Single Entry Visa. A Single Entry Visa will be granted by the Royal Omani Police upon arrival at any Omani ports (air, land and sea) valid for 30 days and at a charge of 20 Omani Rials.

Australian citizens can obtain a Single Entry Visa from the Consulate-General of the Sultanate of Oman in Melbourne.

A Single Entry Visa form needs to be filled in (please contact the consulate for the relevant form)

Two passport size photos are required

an original passport, valid for at least six months

The charge is A$120 and can be payed for in cash, Australian money order or bank cheque payable to the Consulate-General of the Sultanate of Oman

If posted please enclose a prepaid self-addressed return envelope

Please allow at least five working days for visa issuing

For other passport holders, please contact the Consulate General.

Search

Search

Cancel