Nassau spoof video.

Ex techie

From either ex or soon to be ex CM's from the Dream I would guess.

https://video-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xpa1/v/t42.1790-2/11996604_1044511855589467_2027109980_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjQ1NywicmxhIjo4Njl9&rl=457&vabr=254&oh=63947639344b215303ee177946bd0949&oe=55F8D777

Quite funny, and somewhat accurate from reviews on here! Only ever docked there once, wasn't allowed off, but wasn't fussed either from reports from the Wonder!

ex techie

From another site (not sure if Cruise industry legal blogs are verboten so I wont post the url/name):

September 11, 2015 Update: The two Disney Dream crew members previously submitted the video to Disney as part of a cruise sponsored event. The Disney Cruises steering committee approved the video and selected it for the event. Disney subsequently caved into to the yellow journalists in Nassau and not only fired the crew members but took the crew member's pay and charged them for airfare home in retaliation.

From another site (not sure if Cruise industry legal blogs are verboten so I wont post the url/name):

September 11, 2015 Update: The two Disney Dream crew members previously submitted the video to Disney as part of a cruise sponsored event. The Disney Cruises steering committee approved the video and selected it for the event. Disney subsequently caved into to the yellow journalists in Nassau and not only fired the crew members but took the crew member's pay and charged them for airfare home in retaliation.

Really? This is seriously disgusting. I had heard that they were fired for the video, but the fact that they made it for an official event and passed the original Disney screening just makes this wrong. Had they done it and posted it on their own--still a stretch, but maybe. To do it "officially" and have it clear initial screening ("approved and selected it for the event") and then fire them is just wrong. And if the Bahamian journalists or politicians don't like it, maybe they should clean up the tourist areas of their island!

Edited by moki'smommy

I finally got the chance to go into Nassau myself last week on a Dream sailing, to see if it was really as bad as everyone says. It was. I don't understand the mechanics of what's going on there. There were three big cruise ships in port that day. That's a lot of tourist dollars. Where is that money going? Not towards making the port area less of a sketchy dump.

I'm sure there are many people like me who aren't beach people and find dolphin encounters inhumane, who just want to stretch their legs, buy something they can't buy at home and maybe eat something they can't eat at home, and do it in a safe/clean/friendly atmosphere. How do the powers-that-be in Nassau not see how dumb it is not to make that happen?

The really sad thing is that prior to the initial arrival of the Magic in 1998, Disney had worked with the Bahamian government to really clean up the area around the pier and make things safer and less intimidating for their guests. It was a BIG effort announced by the government, etc. and it was significantly better than when we had stopped there a few years earlier on another line. Of course, at that time the only stops DCL made were Nassau and Castaway Cay, and it continued that way for a couple years.

It is ridiculous that after their massive clean up/safety efforts, the whole thing has totally reverted to the old mess. The only difference is that now the "straw market" has been replaced by the building at the pier--I read that the old straw market burned. That was not part of the clean up, as the original straw market was there in 1998.

I strongly suspect that DCL is required to make a certain number of stops there per year since the ship is registered in the Bahamas (I can't confirm this but I see no other reason to stop there). I also wonder if the registration may be the reason that there are a few Bahamian shops on Castaway--located in an out of the way spot that you are likely to miss them and even if you find them, they are closed half the time! Yes, I realize that the people who work in these shops come to the island on small boats and can't get there if the sea is rough.

Edited by moki'smommy

The really sad thing is that prior to the initial arrival of the Magic in 1998' date=' Disney had worked with the Bahamian government to really clean up the area around the pier and make things safer and less intimidating for their guests. It was a BIG effort announced by the government, etc. and it was significantly better than when we had stopped there a few years earlier on another line. Of course, at that time the only stops DCL made were Nassau and Castaway Cay, and it continued that way for a couple years.

It is ridiculous that after their massive clean up/safety efforts, the whole thing has totally reverted to the old mess. The only difference is that now the "straw market" has been replaced by the building at the pier--I read that the old straw market burned. That was not part of the clean up, as the original straw market was there in 1998.

I strongly suspect that DCL is required to make a certain number of stops there per year since the ship is registered in the Bahamas (I can't confirm this but I see no other reason to stop there). I also wonder if the registration may be the reason that there are a few Bahamian shops on Castaway--located in an out of the way spot that you are likely to miss them and even if you find them, they are closed half the time! Yes, I realize that the people who work in these shops come to the island on small boats and can't get there if the sea is rough.[/quote']

I heard the same thing about the registry but if that was a deal breaker, DCL could reregister in a different country, Malta or Liberia for example.

They probably go to Nassau because it's close and cheap.