Cunard's Iceland and Fjords

Roz326

Has anyone taken this trip recently? It's a cruise I would love to take in two years and am starting my research now. This seems to have a pretty good itinerary. I have never been on Cunard so all information and tips are helpful.

Thanks much!

Has anyone taken this trip recently? It's a cruise I would love to take in two years and am starting my research now. This seems to have a pretty good itinerary. I have never been on Cunard so all information and tips are helpful.

Thanks much!

done this twice, what do you want to know?? well worth doing in my opinion

done this twice, what do you want to know?? well worth doing in my opinion

Well, any tips about sailing with Cunard and this ship specifically and any suggested shore excursions would be helpful. What type of cabin did you choose both times? It seems pricey now, but I really want to do this trip 'right' as I doubt it will be on my agenda again. I just have too many places to see!

OP,

We were on the Queen Victoria three years ago on an Iceland and Norway itinerary. I suggest that you check out the ports of call threads for lots of advice on independent tour companies and do-your-own options.

For Akureyri and Reykjavik, we took tours with FAB (Free as a Bird) Travel. They offered a reduced price if you booked two of their tours. The Akureyri one was better than Reykjavik's -- it included a 75 minute visit to the Myvatn Baths (optional, the guide took the ones who did not want to take a dip another option) -- not that we did not thoroughly enjoy both tours. Excellent price, small groups.

For Isafjordur, we went horseback riding in Dyrafjordur. West Tours arranged for transportation -- the ride through tunnels and around fjords was fascinating. I would recommend this even if you're not an experienced rider. The views were spectacular and the horses very surefooted. This was probably our favorite experience of the cruise.

We took a ship's tour in Olden and loved walking around Alesund. Sitting in the balcony or by a window as the ship sailed through the Norwegian fjords was phenomenal. Postcard views on both sides of the ship!

Our ship could not dock in the Faroes because of a storm, but we spent a beautiful day in Kirkwall. Don't forget to try the local ice cream -- the toffee flavor is great.

Regarding the Queen Victoria or other Cunard vessels, I must defer to expert Cunarders.

We also did this trip on board QV. It was one of our best cruises and we hope to repeat it someday. We have also sailed on QE.

I would definitely recommend a balcony cabin. The views in the fjords are stunning and sitting on your balcony watching the midnight Sun is really special.

We did ship's tours in Akureryi and Reykjavik. Akureryi was rather midgy (they apparently don't bite) so we were glad we didn't go to the myvatn baths. We did a tour that included boiling mud pools. It was fascinating! In Reykjavik we did the golden circle which includes geysers and the rift valley where the plates meet. Again, it was incredible. We also visited the blue lagoon baths (no midges) as we stayed overnight in Reykjavik. Really interesting! We did a private midnight whale watching trip but failed to see any whales! At isafjordur we just walked around the town. There is a interesting modern church with a stunning artwork above the alter which is made of birds each made by the local parishioners.

We were lucky to have two stops in the Faroes and again did ship's tours. We went out on an old sailing ship and got back to port just as the fog started closing in! We also walked around on our own amongst the old turf topped parliament buildings.

It is a really lovely cruise and very different. I really recommend it!

Thanks so much Camgirl! All good information to file away. How was the food/dining on board? The cabins? The onboard staff? Anything else you can share is very much appreciated.

Thanks so much Camgirl! All good information to file away. How was the food/dining on board? The cabins? The onboard staff? Anything else you can share is very much appreciated.

I assume you are talking about QE, though my comments go for QV as well.

My personal feelings are that the food is really good. We eat mainly in the MDR (Britannia for non grills cabins). I'm not so keen on the Lido buffet but the food is really good there too. I'm just not so keen on buffets. Afternoon tea is great and should not be missed at least once on your trip.

The cabins are nice, well organised, plenty of storage. The bathrooms are often criticized for being small but I don't have a problem, even with the showers. And I am large! The beds are comfortable. Never had a bad cabin yet. My only gripe is that the tv's have been moved to the wall at the foot of the bed. I don't like that, preferring the previous arrangement where the tv was above the fridge and dispelled. I don't like to watch tv on the bed. We have very rarely heard any noise from other cabins whilst in ours.

Again, in my personal opinion, the on board staff are brilliant. They are generally friendly, helpful and resourceful. And mostly really cheerful. I'm sure there are exceptions but we haven't met them.

I assume you know the dress codes are strict. We particularly like the dressing up for dinner each evening and love the formal nights. It is rare to spot people completely ignoring the dress codes and men are turned away from the restaurant if they don't have a jacket. Day wear is the same as everywhere with perhaps more people tending towards smarter rather than scruffy.

Anything else I can tell you just ask and I will try.