Puerto Vallarta: Yelapa & Mahajuitas Beach vs Las Caletas

starskyfan

I would appreciate any input from anyone that has taken the Yelapa & Mahajuitas Beach excursion from Princess. I've seen a lot of comments (rave reviews in fact) on the Las Caletas Private Beach Getaways but next to nothing on this one. To me the dual beach sounds better and includes a hike to a waterfall. Has anyone done that? Is it strenuous?

Both Las Caletas and this one include a lunch buffet and an open bar yet this one is $20 cheaper. Sounds like a no-brainer to me, but I'm wondering what I don't know?? We are going in March so not sure it will be warm enough for me to get in the water anyway!

Thanks in advance. Brenda

The actual vendor is Vallarta Adventures. http://www.vallarta-adventures.com

Las Caletas is an all-inclusive beach day with non-powered water toys available for your use. There are additive cost activities like scuba, sea lion interaction & spa services. You can sit on the beach or involve yourself in the organized activities they offer. It's a private beach area where there are no wandering vendors trying to sell you junk all day.

The other excursion will involve a little more travel. The waterfall near Yelapa may or may not be worth the hike, depending on time of year and if there has been enough rain to fuel the falls. Yelapa is really famous for the "pie lady". This excursion will take you to locations most tourist rarely get to see because they are only accessed through the water taxi system and their schedule doesn't support ship's passengers.

Either would be fun.

The actual vendor is Vallarta Adventures. http://www.vallarta-adventures.com

Las Caletas is an all-inclusive beach day with non-powered water toys available for your use. There are additive cost activities like scuba, sea lion interaction & spa services. You can sit on the beach or involve yourself in the organized activities they offer. It's a private beach area where there are no wandering vendors trying to sell you junk all day.

The other excursion will involve a little more travel. The waterfall near Yelapa may or may not be worth the hike, depending on time of year and if there has been enough rain to fuel the falls. Yelapa is really famous for the "pie lady". This excursion will take you to locations most tourist rarely get to see because they are only accessed through the water taxi system and their schedule doesn't support ship's passengers.

Either would be fun.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I am definitely leaning towards Yelapa. I'm sure you are right, either would be fun, I just find it interesting how Las Caletas has lots of reviews and this one doesn't. I will have to report my impressions when we get back. Thanks again. Brenda

We have been to Yelapa a few times. A real nice beach with some restaurants and vendors. Mostly visited by tourists staying in Vallarta and of course by mexicans. It is a nice boatride to get there.

I assume your excursion is organised by Princess cruises? It takes some time to get there and back of course. If you do this on your own be sure to take enough time on the return in order not to miss the ship.

We have been to Yelapa a few times. A real nice beach with some restaurants and vendors. Mostly visited by tourists staying in Vallarta and of course by mexicans. It is a nice boatride to get there.

I assume your excursion is organised by Princess cruises? It takes some time to get there and back of course. If you do this on your own be sure to take enough time on the return in order not to miss the ship.

Thanks, and yes, it would be through Princess. They go to Yelapa and Mahajuitas Beach.

Just thought I would mention that on Carnivals excursion site there are reviews for this tour. It has rave reviews just like Las Caletas. All five star reviews. We were looking at both too for our cruise in April. But we have been to Las Caletas before and my husband wanted to do something different this time. So, I think we will be doing this one.

Just thought I would mention that on Carnivals excursion site there are reviews for this tour. It has rave reviews just like Las Caletas. All five star reviews. We were looking at both too for our cruise in April. But we have been to Las Caletas before and my husband wanted to do something different this time. So, I think we will be doing this one.

Thank you. There are way too many choices for Puerto Vallarta! We've actually decided to do a private food tour and then walk the Malecon since we've never been before. Hopefully there will be a next time and we'll do one of the beach tours.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you. There are way too many choices for Puerto Vallarta! We've actually decided to do a private food tour and then walk the Malecon since we've never been before. Hopefully there will be a next time and we'll do one of the beach tours.

The "private" food tour is fun, and we have done it. However, it is with a group, and we were hustled from place to place, and like every "tour" we've ever been on, we stopped at "select" locations with the expectations that we would buy stuff.

I would suggest just grabbing a cab at the cruise docks and have them deliver you to the new dock in old town ($12US for up to four passengers, just a bit more for a van that holds 10.) From there, wander up the Malecon towards the cruise docks. You will find a lot of great restaurants and Cantinas to stop at, and a bunch of places to shop, all right along the beach, and at your leisure, with no rush. If you grow tired on the return, or are running late, just grab a cab back to your ship.

If you walk out to the highway at the cruise docks, you can save (maybe) $2.00US on the cab, but we just grab a cab at the docks.

The "private" food tour is fun, and we have done it. However, it is with a group, and we were hustled from place to place, and like every "tour" we've ever been on, we stopped at "select" locations with the expectations that we would buy stuff.

I would suggest just grabbing a cab at the cruise docks and have them deliver you to the new dock in old town ($12US for up to four passengers, just a bit more for a van that holds 10.) From there, wander up the Malecon towards the cruise docks. You will find a lot of great restaurants and Cantinas to stop at, and a bunch of places to shop, all right along the beach, and at your leisure, with no rush. If you grow tired on the return, or are running late, just grab a cab back to your ship.

If you walk out to the highway at the cruise docks, you can save (maybe) $2.00US on the cab, but we just grab a cab at the docks.

Yelapa ???????:cool:

I assume you want to know what Yelapa is?

A nice beach area outside of PVR, you need a watercab or boat to get there. There are a few restaurants on the beach.

Yelapa is fun. A nice boat ride with a great view of the arch and sanctuary, a pretty little town, and a great beach with several good Cantinas. We've done Yelapa several times, but if it were me and only had a limited time in PV, I would rather spend my time wandering the Malecon. There is so much to see and do...."toes in the sand" Cantinas, great restaurants, sand sculptures, and lots of fun shops to explore. My advice remains....grab a cab to old town, and wander back towards the cruise docks. A fun day.

Just my $0.02P worth. :)

• 1 month later...
A private food tour?! That sounds interesting. Can you let us know how it was when you. return.

I told you I'd let you know how the food tour went and then I almost forgot. We've only been home a couple weeks though. We had a great time.

We did the Signature Taco tour through Vallarta Eats and it was fantastic. There was no shortage of food for sure and everything we ate was really good. My only complaint was that not every food truck had seating, which is to be expected, but with bad feet it was difficult to stand around so much.

Aside from several tacos stands we stopped at a bakery and tortilla factory, and ended the day at an ice cream place and candy store. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them, but if you are thinking of doing something like this I'd highly recommend it.