Cunard coach service from london to southampton

Jaddy

All good advice.

I have a question if anyone can help me. We are staying in London (our hotel is near Westminster Abbey) for a couple of days prior to our upcoming TA. Our plane lands at Heathrow at 7:30am. Since it will be rush hour, I was thinking it might be more efficient to take the Heathrow express from Heathrow to Paddington station and then take a taxi, versus just taking a taxi the whole way. Would that make sense or not?

I find that I don't really save much time doing that - if any. Heathrow Express is also more costly.

I usually end up just taking the Underground the whole way. It's fairly inexpensive and not a lot of effort. Since you'll be getting on at Heathrow, the trains will be empty. They might fill up around you as you head towards London, but you'll already have a seat.

You'll get on the Piccadilly Line (Blue on the maps) and transfer to either the Circle or District Lines (Green and Yellow on the maps). It doesn't matter which, as they are both running on the same route at this stretch.

You should transfer at Hammersmith or Baron's Court. At either of these stations, the transfer is walk off one train and onto the train on other side of the same platform. There's no up/down stairs involved here.

Depending on your hotel, you're probably near St. James's Park or Westminster Station. I usually have stayed near the former and it's a less busy station to get in/out of, although I recall it didn't have escalators. The latter can sometimes be quite busy with tourists because of its location. However, it's a larger station with escalators.

In either event, I think it's generally no worse, if not better than Heathrow Express and then searching for a cab at Paddington.

I find that I don't really save much time doing that - if any. Heathrow Express is also more costly.

I usually end up just taking the Underground the whole way. It's fairly inexpensive and not a lot of effort. Since you'll be getting on at Heathrow, the trains will be empty. They might fill up around you as you head towards London, but you'll already have a seat.

You'll get on the Piccadilly Line (Blue on the maps) and transfer to either the Circle or District Lines (Green and Yellow on the maps). It doesn't matter which, as they are both running on the same route at this stretch.

You should transfer at Hammersmith or Baron's Court. At either of these stations, the transfer is walk off one train and onto the train on other side of the same platform. There's no up/down stairs involved here.

Depending on your hotel, you're probably near St. James's Park or Westminster Station. I usually have stayed near the former and it's a less busy station to get in/out of, although I recall it didn't have escalators. The latter can sometimes be quite busy with tourists because of its location. However, it's a larger station with escalators.

In either event, I think it's generally no worse, if not better than Heathrow Express and then searching for a cab at Paddington.

Thanks! That sounds perfect!

It depends how much luggage you have, the Heathrow Express is easy to negotiate with luggage, the underground more difficult. I would stick to the Heathrow Express followed by taxi plan.
I totally agree.

I'd not want to take more than one small case with me on the Underground (which is not designed for people carrying luggage, not on the trains, or on the escalators or steps at stations).

I always use Heathrow Express (and will be doing so again in November & December this year).

15 minutes end-to-end journey time, trains run every 15 minutes.

Quiet, comfortable trains, with 1st Class available. Bookable in advance to save money (no need to fumble for money for tickets on the day).

NO STOPS on the way (so once you're sat, that is it, no-one else to crowd you later on). Huge purpose-designed luggage areas/racks (I've taken two large cases and hand-luggage without issue). No escalators or steps to worry about (all flat/level access both ends of the journey).

Not sure how long the Underground journey takes... ... ... but I think there are 18 stops, and a change of train, before you reach Westminster... :eek: . Then you've the walk, trailing your cases, from the station to your hotel...

Heathrow Express and a taxi from Paddington to your hotel door would be my advice :) .

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time!

Edited by pepperrn

It depends how much luggage you have, the Heathrow Express is easy to negotiate with luggage, the underground more difficult.

I would stick to the Heathrow Express followed by taxi plan.

You've been told great options for both train and underground. Let me add a slight amendment to the train plan. If cost is an issue, you can get a normal train from Heathrow to Paddington. It is much cheaper but it stops at a few stations along the way and you may have trouble with luggage, depending how many people are travelling.

I used this option once in the opposite direction. I'd been on a Cunard cruise (too good a deal to miss - no single supplement) and arrived home in the UK one day but had to fly to Australia the next night to visit family. I can't believe how much I packed into those 2 days. I smile every time I think of what I achieved. I caught the train from Southampton to Oxford, had my regular therapeutic massage, unpacked, washed loads of clothes, repacked for Australia, checked mail, etc. On the next day I travelled by train to London (which meant a 5-minute walk to the train station, dragging my 2 suitcases), left my luggage at Paddington (watched over by Paddington Bear in the Left Luggage Office), had my hair cut in Kensington, then collected my luggage and took the normal train to Heathrow ready to fly to Australia. From memory, because I had my underground ticket, that took me partway to Heathrow and I only had to pay about £3 for the rest of the journey. It must have been about 6 or 7pm and there was enough space on the train for my 2 suitcases. I would not recommend doing all this unless you are mad or enjoy a challenge!

• 2 months later...

VERY late to the thread :) Just curious what you decided? We did the "Cunard Luxury Coach Transfer" once....never again. Terrible experience. We just returned from a WB TA. Used Smiths for Airports - $142 US. Picked us up at the hotel and dropped us at the pier. The M3 was closed so it took us about 3 hours rather than the usual 1+, but had a lovely drive and some sightseeing in the countryside and London. We are both "early to the airport/pier/etc so we were not stressed. Hope you enjoyed what ever you decided! Thanks, Tom