Help ID Compatible Tripod Head

shootr

arca%2002_zps1lcsprka.jpg

arca%2001_zps5ywjqyoi.jpg

This is the ARCA plate that goes with my Peak Capture belt clip.

(Newer version, but to give you an idea = https://www.peakdesign.com/product/clips/capture/ )

I'd like to find a simple (RE Cheap) tripod head that accepts this size/style plate so I can use the Peak Clip while hiking, then snap it into the tripod for waterfall/scenery pics.

Problem is, as far as I can tell, "ARCA" seems to have many shapes and styles, so I'm struggling to find such a head.

Can anyone shed some light on the ARCA spec, and/or ideas on an available head?

Thanks!

"Arca-Swiss" is a well-known tripod head/clamp to camera/lens plate/foot standard. You may be getting confused as the standard essentially defines the width of the mounting plate (plus the height/angle of the dovetails on each side. You're probably seeing a lot of plates like this: http://tripodhead.com/products/lens-plates-main.cfm or clamps like this: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Quick-Release-Clamps_3

Your particular plate appears to be of the A-S standard, just really "short" compared to many others. That shouldn't matter to any other A-S clamp, lever or screw-type. There's lots of brands out there. I tend to buy almost everything tripod/head-related from Really Right Stuff (high confidence in long durability), but admittedly they're pricey, and I don't know what to suggest in a good but less-expensive category. To be safe, you may want to go with a screw clamp, as it's completely tolerant of minor dimensional differences. Some lever clamps are very strict; for example, the RRS lever clamps are wisely made so that the middle ("half-open") position allows easy slide but the plate CANNOT lift out; only the full-open position allows lift out. (if your plate has no safety stops, as this one appears to be, you could probably slide it right in with the clamp half-open, but your gear could also slide out...)

"If it was a snake it would have bit me"...:o

Now I get it, thank you Sir!

Instead of just looking at the dovetail and realizing they are all the same, and that only the top plates are what are all different - it finally "clicked".

Found hundreds of simple ARCA clamps to just screw onto my existing tripod head, and now I'll have exactly what I want.

Side benefit: this tripod and head is just an aluminum Velbon I was using until I finally got my precious Bogen back from the ex-wife - but it's lighter yet sturdy enough to pack around hiking. Turns out the head has a fluid head feature on it that I never realized. Nice touch for the occasional video I intend to shoot.

2 weeks, just two more weeks until it's waterfalls, mountains, and snorkeling!

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Just another note of appreciation.

31a4f0b12f11cc59efc3529aaccc0037.jpg

Found a fine little adapter and took it for a walk today. It's going to be great from now on to use my Peak clip and still easily throw the camera into a tripod.

c6a91dc43a8dafced3f807a075555572.jpg

Wasn't sure how to comfortably carry a tripod while hiking without too much drama. The reviews and pictures of this made it a crap shoot, but I just carried it for a couple hours over 4 plus miles slung across my back and it was perfect.

I'm so ready for Hawaii this Friday it isn't even funny!

• 1 year later...

OK, maybe not perfect... The sling was OK but still moved around too much, so when I got my budget cf tripod this past holiday, decided to see how I could carry it throughout the UK in May.

818d6bcd68a573da8dafbc06d906ca9a.jpg

The little hook on the bottom almost worked but not quite deep enough to stay secure on my belt. Since it's a convenient 1/4-20 thread using an adapter, I picked a u-bolt to see how it would go.

93e32e0592dbd0f503a0a1552faac871.jpg

NOW I think it's perfect, lol! It's tight to my leg and doesn't flop around and is practically weightless.

I'm a hopeless tinkerer...

To take this just a bit off-topic... I looked very closely at the Peak Capture clip but had an issue with how to keep the camera secure when it is not in the clip. With a normal sling or strap the camera is secure at all times, as long as the sling/strap is around your neck. The Peak Capture clip makes it much easier to walk/hike with a camera, but when the camera is not in the clip it is subject to being dropped. Do you use any sort of a wrist strap or similar?

To take this just a bit off-topic... I looked very closely at the Peak Capture clip but had an issue with how to keep the camera secure when it is not in the clip. With a normal sling or strap the camera is secure at all times, as long as the sling/strap is around your neck. The Peak Capture clip makes it much easier to walk/hike with a camera, but when the camera is not in the clip it is subject to being dropped. Do you use any sort of a wrist strap or similar?

I don't, it's just so easy to snap the camera in and out that I'll just take it out for a shot and right back in when moving on. That said I'm carrying a Sony a6000 with 18-105 lens at most, so it's pretty light comparatively speaking to larger DSLR's. I've been using it for a few years and it seems to be holding up fine with all the use.

I too have tried to figure out options to your scenario, but never could come up with anything I'd care to use much, if at all. Sorry.

I also use the Peak Design system after switching from the Black Rapid system that allowed too much freedom to my camera when at my side.

I replaced the head of my Opteka tripod with an Oben Arca-Swiss ball head as well as placed an Arca Swssl plate from Peak Design on my monopod. The Peak Design sling and its unique system of attachment to both the bottom and right loop of my camera keeps it tucked close to my hip at all times.

I looked at the Peak Design belt clip but opted out of having one side of my pants drooped with the weight of my camera.

When shooting in the rain, I switch the Peak Design shoulder strap to my Peak Design leash or wrist strap that I use while wearing a rain poncho.