My impressions of Pricess Grills QV

SALAD MUNCHER

Just back from QV med cruise Venice to Athens. For background info I have been on QV four times previously, twice in Queens Grill and twice in Britannia. I have also travelled on QE and QM2 in various cabin grades. This time as I was travelling with my mother, who is 84, I decided to try Princess Grill as a new experience for me and a treat for her. First impressions of the stateroom were OK, but I was disappointed to find a bottle of Pol Acker in the ice bucket (just the same as when I was in Britannia Class on QM2 in May!). For the extra over they charge for Grills surely they could stretch to a bottle of Champagne. As we had priority check-in we were in the room by 12.30 and fairly quickly the steward came to introduce himself. After his speech regarding how he would be available if we needed anything etc. I asked him if the Grills Restaurant was open for lunch, and he replied that it was closed and we would have to use The Lido. I was surprised at this so after having looked at the daily programme, where it stated Grills restaurants were open, I rang the Purser’s office to check, and they confirmed it was open. Consequently we went up for lunch and were shown to our table. I was disappointed but not surprised as yet again we were not given a window seat (never have been in five trips the Grills, so I don’t know what their criteria is). However the table we had was in a reasonable position with space around so there was no feeling of being squashed in. However two passengers who had been given a window seat for two, were complaining loudly that they had ordered a table for four by the window for themselves and two friends?? How do you do this? I thought it was pot luck! :confused:The Head waiter managed to pacify them by saying it would be organised by dinner. Sure enough at dinner they were seated, yet again, by the window on a table for four together with their two friends who had in fact booked separately from them, so again I ask “How did they do that?. :confused::confused: I felt sorry for the four people who were moved as although two had been given the window table previously occupied by the complaining couple, the other two were seated away from the window!

The main problem we encountered with the room was discovered early that evening. As I mentioned my travelling companion was my 84 year old mother, and she went in to have a shower first so I wasn’t aware of the problem until she came out of the bathroom. When I initially read about Princess Grills, it mentioned it had a bath and shower. I (probably unreasonably) assumed that this would be the same set up as in Queens but smaller. However this is not the case. The shower is over the bath, which means you firstly have to climb into the bath. If you can do this the next hurdle is the shower does not have a glass / plastic screen, but two shower curtains, a thinner one that falls on the inside of the bath and a much thicker one that hangs on the outside of the bath. When you close the curtains (they are hung together on the same hooks so both are operated together) the inside of the bathing area becomes soooo dark, because obviously there is no electric light inside, you are unable to make out the dials on the wall, therefore you can’t be sure which one sets the temp, which one turns on the water and which one moves from shower to bath taps! This was a real problem for my mother as firstly she is not in good health, suffering with COPD, Arthritis and Hypertension so found just climbing into the bath a chore, and secondly as you don’t wear spectacles when showering she was seriously in trouble trying to work out how to switch on the shower, and safely at that. My mother does not have mobility problems as such, she just suffers from breathlessness on even minimum exertion, so she does not need a disabled room as with a walk in shower she can cope well.

When I had a shower after her, I realised that even I couldn’t see the dials and my eyesight is fine! I did go to the Purser’s office to explain the problem and a few days later they sent up someone to remove the thicker of the two curtains, it helped a little to not too much....Mother took to leaving the curtains open until she had managed to put the water on, not a very good solution but one that helped her. The moral here is make absolutely sure you know what you are signing up to before you book! Had I known beforehand I would not have opted for this room configuration.

My observations on the journey as a whole were mainly positive. The food was generally cooked well and served hot enough. The shows were repeats of Cunard’s set programmes i.e. Passionata, Dance Fever and Hollywood Rocks which were all done in a reasonable fashion by the singers and dancers. The other acts were all good, especially Mike Doyle, a Welsh singer comedian who was excellent and who had everyone on their feet clapping him at the end. Afternoon tea was tried both in the Grills Lounge and the Queens Room; both were as excellent as each other. Internet was reasonably fast and seemed to be available constantly. All in all it was a lovely experience marred by a few niggles, but hey this happens on any holiday. Before I go I must mention something that both annoys and frustrates me:- why do they charge $25 per photograph? Surely the amount of photos not purchased and therefore destroyed must give them an idea that if they charged less more would be bought! For example I already have countless photos on each of the three Cunard ships so I do not really need or want another. But, if they were say around $10 I might have been persuaded to buy one (or even two) just for the hell of it! :)

We usually travel QG but our next short trip is in PG due to the amazingly cheap price of the Ultimate Upgrade offer, so I have read your post with great interest.

I must admit I was aware that the shower was over the bath in PG - something we both detest, but can manage. I dislike that double curtain trend that many hotels also seem to have these days, and find if I pull back both curtains slightly at the shower end, I can set the temperature and flow before getting in - but I agree it's far from ideal, especially for the elderly.

Seating in the Grills puzzles me too. I usually email the Maitre d' and request a table near the window, but as yet, no matter which grade we have been staying in, we have never been seated nearer than two tables away from the window - and on occasion, those seated right at the window were in lower grade cabins so that doesn't seem to count.

So overall you found PG to be OK? Were you able to order off menu as easily as QG? I am a vegetarian and ordering off menu is very important to me.

Edited by cruiseluvva

We usually travel QG but our next short trip is in PG due to the amazingly cheap price of the Ultimate Upgrade offer, so I have read your post with great interest.

I must admit I was aware that the shower was over the bath in PG - something we both detest, but can manage. I dislike that double curtain trend that many hotels also seem to have these days, and find if I pull back both curtains slightly at the shower end, I can set the temperature and flow before getting in - but I agree it's far from ideal, especially for the elderly.

Seating in the Grills puzzles me too. I usually email the Maitre d' and request a table near the window, but as yet, no matter which grade we have been staying in, we have never been seated nearer than two tables away from the window - and on occasion, those seated right at the window were in lower grade cabins so that doesn't seem to count.

So overall you found PG to be OK? Were you able to order off menu as easily as QG? I am a vegetarian and ordering off menu is very important to me.

Hi there, To be honest we didn't really order off menu, only once I asked the waiter if they did a plain crème caramel as they seemed to be offering only flavoured versions. He said he would ask the Maitre'D. He then came back and said the M'D had agreed and it would be available the next night. In QG you have quite a few more A La Carte dishes than in Princess, there is no Lobster or caviar in PG whereas I know these are on QG A La Carte. However there was vegetarian options available on every menu, both lunch and dinner so you should be OK. The main advantage in PG is you get the same 'perks' as QG such as the Grills Lounge etc. without the higher cost of QG, this is particularly good if you're not bothered about the bar set up or having a larger cabin. However I would not really recommend it for the elderly or infirm. :)

It was the idea of saving (quite) a few pounds that made us book it, as that could really add up over a longer voyage. We'll see what November brings then though if we don't like it, we are on the following cruise in QG anyway

Thanks for all the info.

Edited by cruiseluvva

I'm curious to know if the PG bathrooms have mats on the floor of the tubs? I've been in hotels before where the shower was over the bath and if there is no grip on the tub floor it can be quite risky!

Love it when hotels (and cruise lines are good with this in terms of their showers) have grippy floors in the shower area.

Better still when there is a rainforest shower head and water sprays from all angles! (what I call the car wash experience)

Do regular QG suites (Q5 and Q6) have separate showers on the three Queens?

I'm curious to know if the PG bathrooms have mats on the floor of the tubs? I've been in hotels before where the shower was over the bath and if there is no grip on the tub floor it can be quite risky!

Love it when hotels (and cruise lines are good with this in terms of their showers) have grippy floors in the shower area.

Better still when there is a rainforest shower head and water sprays from all angles! (what I call the car wash experience)

Do regular QG suites (Q5 and Q6) have separate showers on the three Queens?

Hi there,

yes there was one of those rubber shower mats with suckers on one side which you just stick down to the baths surface. However you won't get a car wash experience from PG's shower - enough said! :D

Hi there,

yes there was one of those rubber shower mats with suckers on one side which you just stick down to the baths surface. However you won't get a car wash experience from PG's shower - enough said! :D

That's handy. I'm actually surprised that Cunard doesn't have a railing, small light and even an emergency button by the bath tub given the high average age of their guests.

I gather the pressure in the PG shower isn't that good then?

Q5/Q6 on QM2 are the same format in that the shower is over the bath and you have to climb in. NB. PG on QM2 also have the bath to step into but it seems lower than those on QV/QE so might be easier for someone who is less agile.

On the QV/QE at the back of the ship they're separate showers so it's much easier.

On allocation of tables, we were advised by the Maitre d' that it depends on when you booked and what World Club level you were rather than cabin grading. If you booked a year in advance and are Platinum and above, there's every likelihood you will get a window table if requested - if you're the same level and only booked a week beforehand, you would probably not get a window table as early bookers do get preference.

I always turn on the shower and adjust the temperature before I stand under it, the shower head can be pointed towards the far wall to minimise splashing and it removes the risk of scalding. I thought that most people did this as it seems such common sense.

Q5/Q6 on QM2 are the same format in that the shower is over the bath and you have to climb in. NB. PG on QM2 also have the bath to step into but it seems lower than those on QV/QE so might be easier for someone who is less agile.

On the QV/QE at the back of the ship they're separate showers so it's much easier.

On allocation of tables, we were advised by the Maitre d' that it depends on when you booked and what World Club level you were rather than cabin grading. If you booked a year in advance and are Platinum and above, there's every likelihood you will get a window table if requested - if you're the same level and only booked a week beforehand, you would probably not get a window table as early bookers do get preference.

I've got a GTY QM2 Q6 for Jan so will be interested to see the bathroom set up (assuming I don't get visited by the upgrade fairy). Hopefully it is better lit than the PG bathrooms. Last time I had two shower areas and a separate bath (which took forever to fill - I wonder can I ask the butler to fill my bath for me?).

As a solo traveller I'm not so fussed about location of tables as I am about the kind of people I end up dining with. Plus, the Grills restaurant views aren't that great - joggers, voyeurs, smokers (or a combination of all three).

It is a shame that kicking up a fuss in such situations seems to get people far in life. If I was the Maitre de I would have moved them to an even worse location - lucky that's not my trade or I'd be unemployed pretty quickly!

We disembarked in Venice on the 13th, having travelled from Rome. We were in Britannia and were highly delighted by everything, including the Pol Ackerman, although could've drunk the other half! We now realise although we were thrilled anyway, that we were very lucky to have been allocated a fabulous table in the window at the aft . It was amazing. the sail away from Rome was at 9 and given our sitting was 8.30 we were in a prime position. We didn't take it for granted and were pinching ourselves each night