Laundry costs on QV

MacThespian

[/color]

I am obviously missing something vital here but is this a good way to spend time for which you have paid $kk, standing in a laundrette reading a book?

As this is the second 'Laundry' thread in the past week it must figure very large in some peoples' lives. Now what I don't get is this:-

On any trip lasting 7 days or less it is easy to pack enough washable kit to obviate the need for any laundry at all even if you fly to the ship. Laundry addicts can get their fix using the bathroom basin for their 'smalls' or by treading the offending article underfoot in the shower.

On trips of longer duration, with the possible exception of a complete world cruise the amount you spend on the cruise itself would make the extra expense of having the laundry done on board a comparatively trifling amount. And if you have any loyalty perk at all then it's even cheaper. So there must be some other reason which I do not comprehend which makes people disdain the pleasures of the cruise to hang around in a tiny, hot, noisy room with, if stories are to be believed, the occasional outbreak of verbal and sometimes physical violence. And don't forget folks in the room you save in the luggage by not bringing the spray starch and softening stuff you can pop an extra pair of pants or three pairs of socks.

A Puzzled Shiny

My suggestion (especially for the men) is simply buy some new socks, shorts etc. at a port. (if one is concerned by the cost of laundry onboard). Or we could all cut down on 1 less alcoholic beverage per day and that would cover at least 5 pairs of socks! Or if one gave up gambling, the spa, overpriced souvenirs onshore, all laundry needs would be covered.

Personally I just carry extra, as they take up so little space!

My suggestion (especially for the men) is simply buy some new socks, shorts etc. at a port. (if one is concerned by the cost of laundry onboard). Or we could all cut down on 1 less alcoholic beverage per day and that would cover at least 5 pairs of socks! Or if one gave up gambling, the spa, overpriced souvenirs onshore, all laundry needs would be covered.

That idea has some merit. Unless you live totally isolated there will be a market near you where you can purchase multi packs of socks (and pants). These may contain 5 or even 7 pairs of socks for less than the cost of having two pairs laundered on board. Of course they will not be the silk and cashmere mix to which one is accustomed but as the man said,'Twill suffice'.

Also if one does not mind rustling as one walks there is always the option of paper pants. A little thought and there are many stratagems one can adopt to keep one from the horrors of the laundry room. And if my personal observations from my last few trips are any criterion the daytime dress and general turnout of the passengers reveals that a great many of them have but a fleeting relationship with either washer or iron and in some cases shampoo and even deodorant. So if you are a little crumpled about the edges take heart, you will not stand out.

Shiny

That idea has some merit. Unless you live totally isolated there will be a market near you where you can purchase multi packs of socks (and pants). These may contain 5 or even 7 pairs of socks for less than the cost of having two pairs laundered on board. Of course they will not be the silk and cashmere mix to which one is accustomed but as the man said,'Twill suffice'.

Also if one does not mind rustling as one walks there is always the option of paper pants. A little thought and there are many stratagems one can adopt to keep one from the horrors of the laundry room. And if my personal observations from my last few trips are any criterion the daytime dress and general turnout of the passengers reveals that a great many of them have but a fleeting relationship with either washer or iron and in some cases shampoo and even deodorant. So if you are a little crumpled about the edges take heart, you will not stand out.

Shiny

My Dear Shiny, I am afraid that I, even without clothes am "a bit crumpled about the edges". I have tried ironing myself, and even some starch, but gravity still takes over as soon as I stand up.:eek::D:D:D

And if my personal observations from my last few trips are any criterion the daytime dress and general turnout of the passengers reveals that a great many of them have but a fleeting relationship with either washer or iron and in some cases shampoo and even deodorant.

So I presume you would be happy for some to use the laundry at the very least....

My husband will be taking a suit and an extra jacket so that problem is solved, thanks.:)

My Dear Shiny, I am afraid that I, even without clothes am "a bit crumpled about the edges". I have tried ironing myself, and even some starch, but gravity still takes over as soon as I stand up.:eek::D:D:D

The crumpled Au Naturel* look is true for me also but I do admire your 'Never Surrender' approach.

SS

* Should that be Naturelle, I forget.

And if my personal observations from my last few trips are any criterion the daytime dress and general turnout of the passengers reveals that a great many of them have but a fleeting relationship with either washer or iron and in some cases shampoo and even deodorant.

So I presume you would be happy for some to use the laundry at the very least....

My husband will be taking a suit and an extra jacket so that problem is solved, thanks.:)

Not so JC, not so. Hidden in the wardrobe are nice little bags. These are for offerings to the great god Lavabo. These bags when placed on one's bed mysteriously disappear only to reappear two days later with the contents beautifully clean and pressed to within an inch.

I class it as a modern miracle I truly do. There is no excuse for outward crumpledness. And I'm sure your husband will look absolutely spiffing.

Shiny

Edited by shinyshoes

Not so JC, not so. Hidden in the wardrobe are nice little bags. These are for offerings to the great god Lavabo. These bags when placed on one's bed mysteriously disappear only to reappear two days later with the contents beautifully clean and pressed to within an inch.

I class it as a modern miracle I truly do. There is no excuse for outward crumpledness. And I'm sure your husband will look absolutely spiffing.

Shiny

I came home with one of those bags in my luggage, I did eactly what you have described and nothing happened to it, it was still there on my bed in the evening. Very disappointed so I returned it to Cunard complaining that it was defective. I heard two years later that it was working perfectly. I will try it again next time I'm on board.

I came home with one of those bags in my luggage, I did eactly what you have described and nothing happened to it, it was still there on my bed in the evening. Very disappointed so I returned it to Cunard complaining that it was defective. I heard two years later that it was working perfectly. I will try it again next time I'm on board.
I hear that it works on the WiFi. Try changing your home SSID to "QM2 Guest" and see if that helps.

It's probably because household laundry deities are usually Godesses. A notoriously temperamental species of divine entity. They require a great deal more supplicating than the ones aboard cruise boats.

Shiny

It's probably because household laundry deities are usually Godesses. A notoriously temperamental species of divine entity. They require a great deal more supplicating than the ones aboard cruise boats.

Shiny

Dear Shiny,

I have just had a wasted journey to the opticians, who informed me that my eyes are fine, but that you are suffering from Small Font Syndrome (SFS).

Sir Martin

Who approves of Mr SS's posts, but now needs a Hubble telescope to read them.

dear shiny,

i have just had a wasted journey to the opticians, who informed me that my eyes are fine, but that you are suffering from small font syndrome (sfs).

sir martin

who approves of mr ss's posts, but now needs a hubble telescope to read them.

apologies

ss

Um, so the time we'd spend doing laundry is now taken up by searching for a store that carries socks, etc. Of course, we would get the experience of buying them in a foreign country, which I suppose is worth something.

Maybe I should just take all my old socks, underwear, etc., and simply throw it out after I wear it? That would give me space in my suitcase for more souvenirs.

Um, so the time we'd spend doing laundry is now taken up by searching for a store that carries socks, etc. Of course, we would get the experience of buying them in a foreign country, which I suppose is worth something.

Maybe I should just take all my old socks, underwear, etc., and simply throw it out after I wear it? That would give me space in my suitcase for more souvenirs.

That is the best suggestion so far and is exactly what we did some years ago when touring Germany using public transport. It was actually quite cathartic to take off one's socks and put them straight in the bin.

Shiny

That is the best suggestion so far and is exactly what we did some years ago when touring Germany using public transport. It was actually quite cathartic to take off one's socks and put them straight in the bin.

Shiny

I do hope the same didn't apply to your undergarments!:eek:

• 3 weeks later...

And have to wash everything new before wearing, and be careful what detergent is used, so buying new does no good, will have to be washed anyhow - and it's better to take a known good detergent with you.

To us, a few minutes doing socks and undershorts two or three times during a 3 week vacation is no big deal. Throw in a few of the wifes, bras and panties, first thing you know, you've got a load.

Not a big deal.

And have to wash everything new before wearing, and be careful what detergent is used, so buying new does no good, will have to be washed anyhow - and it's better to take a known good detergent with you.

To us, a few minutes doing socks and undershorts two or three times during a 3 week vacation is no big deal. Throw in a few of the wifes, bras and panties, first thing you know, you've got a load.

Not a big deal.

But therein lies the rub ( or the rubadubdub if you like). The earlier premise was, I believe, that one should take along a book to the laundry in order to constructively pass the time while waiting. This implies surely that the time spent in the said laundry is going to be rather more than a few minutes. War & Peace anyone? And whilst you may have certain sensitivities, that will be the exception rather than the general rule. The magic laundry bags are the way to go for most of us, or the 'Wear, Dump and Buy route for those with the means. And don't underestimate the entertainment value to had be from buying cheap clothes in foreign parts and the endless hilarity when one unwraps one's purchases back aboard.

Shiny

• 4 years later...

Hi I read the replys to this question but cant seem to find anything more recent,what I would like to know is ...Can I buy washing powder on board,do I bring it with me or is it provided? Dont really want to carry a bag of white powder through the airport:Thanx Allison

Having spent 61 days on the QE this past March>>May...... I found the launderettes ( which are on all decks with staterooms), to be just fine.

I never waited for an an empty machine.

It was quick and efficient (( & oh-- yes free))

The magical and wonderful trip was not MARRED and RUINED by doing a few loads of laundry. ((( MY tiara still fits fine )))