Costa Concerns

Storm730

Let me first start off by saying, I hope this question does not offend anyone. I contacted a travel agent to book a Mediterranean cruise next year. I asked about Costa Cruise because I like the itinerary departing from Barcelona. She suggested I select another cruise line because I am black and they are not friendly to blacks and other minorities onboard. She also said everything is in Italian and we might have a hard time communicating onboard and during the shore excursions. Can anyone shed and light or share additional information. I'm retired military to I'm used to traveling and never really had too many issues as it regards to race. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Shell

Let me first start off by saying, I hope this question does not offend anyone. I contacted a travel agent to book a Mediterranean cruise next year. I asked about Costa Cruise because I like the itinerary departing from Barcelona. She suggested I select another cruise line because I am black and they are not friendly to blacks and other minorities onboard. She also said everything is in Italian and we might have a hard time communicating onboard and during the shore excursions. Can anyone shed and light or share additional information. I'm retired military to I'm used to traveling and never really had too many issues as it regards to race. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Shell

After being on many Costa cruises I have never seen any problems with people of different races. On one Costa cruise my wife and I were the only Americans.

Most of the black guests I have met are from the French Caribbean or France.

Go with the right attitude and you will be fine.

Shell,

I am American of Italian origin, and I have sailed Costa, before the Carnivore era.

That being said, I would suggest Celebrity as an alternative, even if the cruise is not an exact match to what you want, and it will likely cost more.

Frankly, I would not even think of booking a Med cruise on Costa, or any cruise anywhere on them for that matter.

Firstly, I think you need to get a new travel agent. What a crazy piece of advice. Yes the majority of passengers will be white Europeans but Costa does attract a significant number of Asian and Black passengers particularly from the French Caribbean and France itself.

On our Dubai cruise we had a significant number of passengers from East Africa and the Middle East. There were also a few non-white kids in the Kids Club and they seemed to get on well also.

We love Costa and if you can get over there somewhat less than impeccable customer service, less than 5* food, noisy ambience and gharish décor - you will not have any problems.

Get another agent and book it!

I find it difficult to believe she's ever been on a Costa cruise. Perhaps language might be an issue for you, English-speakers might be only 10%, but the hotel department working language is English, safety announcements are always in English, and if you're from Las Vegas, you're probably used to multiple languages.

Not sure about the demographics for US cruise lines in the Med. When I was on Carnival in the Caribbean it seemed OK for blacks, Royal Caribbean hires a lot of staff from Jamaica. NCL's freestyle concept appeals to families and groups, they're equal-opportunity clique-ish. It's lines like Celebrity and Holland America I'd be most wary of.

As a black veteran, have you studied the history of 93rd Division AEF in World War 1, which served with the French who were happy to have them?

Edited by Dancer Bob

Thanks Dancer Bob and Tomvet. I like the Euopean culture as I've traveled to Paris, Germany, London and Portugual and I've been good for all these locations. I found it strange she suggested another line simply because of my race.

Firstly, I think you need to get a new travel agent. What a crazy piece of advice. Yes the majority of passengers will be white Europeans but Costa does attract a significant number of Asian and Black passengers particularly from the French Caribbean and France itself.

On our Dubai cruise we had a significant number of passengers from East Africa and the Middle East. There were also a few non-white kids in the Kids Club and they seemed to get on well also.

We love Costa and if you can get over there somewhat less than impeccable customer service, less than 5* food, noisy ambience and gharish décor - you will not have any problems.

Get another agent and book it!

I couldn't agree more.

Well I am offended by your travel agent!!! Not you for asking.

We are far more culturally diverse than your agent gives us credit for. Like the others above I have cruised Costa for the last 5 years. On the ships are all shapes and sizes, all different race, all different skin colour. No one even notices. Its usual here in Europe - thus on a European ship.

You will probably find they would get a bigger commision with another cruise company. Here in UK that agent could be in serious trouble legally!

Come along Storm, I hope you sit with us at dinner and share some good times. I will even buy you a drink. On my "all inclusive" ofcourse!!!

Well I am offended by your travel agent!!! Not you for asking.

We are far more culturally diverse than your agent gives us credit for. Like the others above I have cruised Costa for the last 5 years. On the ships are all shapes and sizes, all different race, all different skin colour. No one even notices. Its usual here in Europe - thus on a European ship.

You will probably find they would get a bigger commision with another cruise company. Here in UK that agent could be in serious trouble legally!

Come along Storm, I hope you sit with us at dinner and share some good times. I will even buy you a drink. On my "all inclusive" ofcourse!!!

So awesome, thank you so much. Yes I'm no longer working with her. We are considering sailing on the Diadema, just have to find the best date. Any opinion on the Diadema? I was thinking this one because of the wine bar :)

We just came back from a Mediterranean cruise aboard the Costa Delisoza. I thought it was excellent--no problems with the language, food was awesome and staff very friendly. This was my sixth cruise and have been on RC and Carnival. Costa was just as good as these lines. A trip is sometimes what YOU make it