Costa - Dubai - Embarkation

LIMPIT

We are sailing out of Dubai on the Fortuna in December, it is unusual in that the ship stays in port on embarkation date of 23rd, and sails the following day 24th.

From other posts it appears that Costa have followed this itinerary on previous years/ships.

My problem is that we are travelling overnight with Emirates and arrive early hours of 23rd, we plan to enjoy a banquet breakfast at Yalumba Restaurant at Le Meridien Hotel which is close to the Airport, and then take a Taxi to port at approx 10am.

Previous posts have detailed storage of luggage at the airport, to allow access to the City during the day, and means a return visit to the airport to collect.

Other posts detail that they have been able to check in luggage at the Costa Desk mid morning prior to returning to the Terminal in the afternoon and embark between 3-4pm.

This was going to be our plan, however I e-mailed the UK Costa Office, and they have responded to confirm :

There are no guarantees that Costa can take luggage on the day of embarkation, and that embarkation is from 8pm !!!!!

I read on previous posts that cabins are not guaranteed for occupation until 8pm, do you think that Costa UK Office know what they are talking about ?

The lack of clarity and quality of information is worrying !

Hi we did the same itinerary earlier in the year we dropped of our luggage at about 10.30 at the terminal without any problem. We then returned at about 4.00pm to embark. We were told our cabin would not be available until 8.00pm but we checked at about 6.30pm and it was ready. We are doing the same cruise again in March and will doing exactly the same.

Thanks for the info, obviously the Costa Office in the UK are misinformed regarding the arrangements, we will make our plans to suit the details posted on CC, appreciate your help and we are looking forward to a relaxing cruise over the Xmas period

Your welcome it's a good cruise for the price and it's nice to get some winter sun. It's a bit chaotic the first evening as you still have passengers on the ship who have not disembarked because of late flights so it open dinning and I believe the buffet remained open later.

Thanks, I did read that, we have considered booking a Hotel for the night and chilling by the pool after the night flight, but adds more expense.

We have booked the Premium All Inclusive which worked out at only £150 each, taking into consideration the booze, coffee and soft drinks we will consume over the festive period looks a bargain!

We landed in DXB at 0600 from a KLM flight from Amsterdam. We sorted ourselves out and had a coffee at Costa and then left our luggage at the airport and took a taxi to the Burj Khalifa and Dubai mall for the day. Remember there is no Metro on a Friday until 1300h. We returned on the Metro at about 1600 collected the luggage and took a taxi to the ship. Checked in at 1700ish and were on the ship in 5 mins. Cabins were not ready until 2000. I think Costa UK are confusing boarding time with cabin availability time!

I think going from Airport ----> Ship to drop luggage ------> Downtown Dubai ---------> Ship is about the same as going from

Airport ---------> Downtown --------> Airport --------> Ship

At least in the airport, you are guaranteed to have your luggage stored when you want. Not clear if they do or when they store luggage at the cruise terminal.

You can read my review here

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=266&t=9610

Edited by tomvet

We travelled the day before and did stay a night at a hotel so we were refreshed.

We also went to Dubai mall and Burj Khalifa before we embarked. If you decide to go there book your tickets before because they are much cheaper and no queuing.

The premium drink package is excellent value and as I believe Costa now turn off their tea, coffee and water machines after about 11.00 am you will need it.

Our experience in January 2015:

Arrived around 7am on an Emirates flight on Embarkation day. Took a taxi (about £20) to the port, dropped our cases and then took a taxi to the Dubai Marina. Quite a long ride, about 25minutes, but the taxi was cheap and roads were very quiet on a Friday morning. At the marina there are plenty of shops/restaurants and a very nice beach. We hung about there until mid-afternoon. By that point the metro had started (I think it begins at 1pm). A short walk from the marina took us to the Metro. The metro runs above ground (more like a monorail) and travelling between the Marina and the old city centre, you are travelling the length of the city. Due to the elevated position it's a good chance to get an overview of the place. From there we took a taxi to the dock, now about 4pm, which was only about £10.

Checked in immediately an onboard by 5. The strange part was that the cabins were not available until 8pm. We were starting to get tired after the overnight flight. Many people took to sleeping on loungers by the pool. A little before 8pm, the cabins became available. Next day it was a 9.30am muster drill (I understand people were arriving all through the night), then at 1pm, the ship departed for Muscat.

Thanks for all the info guys, we visited Dubai previously on a four day stop over on the way home from Mauritius as a taster, so have already visited most of the main sites.

I anticipate we will plan the following:

Arrive early 7.10 on Wednesday 23rd December, short cab ride to Le Meridien for breakfast, then cab to Port at approximately 10.30, and hopefully deposit luggage with Costa, then another cab onto the Deira Creek Area to visit the Museum and Souks before returning mid afternoon to embark the ship.

I understand that departure time on Xmas Eve is 1pm out of Dubai, so will almost certainly stay aboard and catch up on some lost sleep from the red eye flight.

When we return to Dubai on Tuesday 29th, we plan to catch the Monorail to the Marina and visit The Beach Area, and probably stop off on our return to the ship at The Mall for a few hours and watch the Fountain Display which was amazing last time we visited, before disembarking the following day at lunchtime on the 30th.

We dock in Muscat (which we are really excited to visit) on Xmas morning which will be amazing, but it is a Friday so no inside visit to the Mosque will be possible. However we intend to have a walk along the Corniche in the morning, and maybe as previously posted hire a taxi for a few hours which appear to be reasonably priced, and visit the Muttrah Souk early evening.

Just received information from Costa Germany, that Costa will be otptimising the embarkation / dismbarkation in Dubai during the winter season 2015 / 2016. Original, in German, is attached. Basically says (this applies to both Fortuna and neoRiviera):

On the first embarkation day boarding will start at 20:00, boarding before this time is not possible anymore. Cabins will be available from 21:30. For disembarkation, passengers must leave the cabin by 16:00 and the luggage must be outside the cabin by 13:00 at the latest.

On the second embarkation day boarding will start at 08:30, boarding before this time is not possible anymore. Cabins will be available from 11:00. For disembarkation, passengers must leave the cabin by 05:30 and the luggage must be left outside by 13:00 (previous day - first embarkation day) at the latest. All times are local time.

I do not know if your cruise will be affected, in the message it states Fortuna embarkation days as Friday / Saturday, these days are effected as from the 8th. January 2016 sailing. Your sailing is a 7 day cruise (wednesday / Thursday), then two 9 day cruises, then 7 say cruises for the rest of the season.Suggest you five Costa a ring with the above information and try clarify the point.

Dubai.pdf

Wow, that is a major change !!!!

No embarkation until 8pm at night, rather than the previous 4pm !

If I read this correct it means ;

23rd December - boarding Btwn 8pm to ?

Cabin not available until 9.30pm !

24th December - no boarding until after 8am, cabin not available until 11am (why is this if they are available the day before at 9.30pm) ?

Departure day, 30th December must be off ship by 5.30am, they must be joking !!!

I tried to ring them today and there was a problem with their phones. I would never have booked again if I knew they were doing this it's an absolute joke. Basically we will need to hang around for hours the first day it will be horrendous everyone trying to embark at 20.00. Then not getting your cabins till after 9.30, if you even managed to get on by then, we will just be going straight to bed. That's what they probably hope so they can save money on food and drink. They are cutting back too much now you can't even get a hot breakfast in the buffet now and tea, coffee machines being turned of at 11.30 it's ridiculous. I'm going on the new Norwegian escape in two weeks and I can't wait to see what they offer.

I totally agree, I will be calling our agent Iglu tomorrow to try and clarify the arrangements.

I think that we will probably now book a hotel for our arrival day, and board on the 2nd day. This suits Costa because this means no food day 1, no drinks on our pre paid all inclusive, no breakfast on day 2 !

We would never have booked a overnight flight if we had been alerted to the fact that we couldn't board until 8.00pm.

And as for having to depart the ship at 5.30, I am astonished and disgusted if this is correct, so angry!

Wow, that is a major change !!!!

No embarkation until 8pm at night, rather than the previous 4pm !

If I read this correct it means ;

23rd December - boarding Btwn 8pm to ?

Cabin not available until 9.30pm !

24th December - no boarding until after 8am, cabin not available until 11am (why is this if they are available the day before at 9.30pm) ?

If you are departing on the second day then you can stay in your cabin until 05:30, and the next occupant can get the cabin as from 11:00.

Departure day, 30th December must be off ship by 5.30am, they must be joking !!!

Please go back and read my message, ig disembarking on the second day you have to vacate your cabin by 05:30, you can still stay on the ship until I would think about 09:00. Your luggage will have to be outside your cabin by 13:00 the day before

I'll post if I hear anything else.

I totally agree, I will be calling our agent Iglu tomorrow to try and clarify the arrangements.

I think that we will probably now book a hotel for our arrival day, and board on the 2nd day. This suits Costa because this means no food day 1, no drinks on our pre paid all inclusive, no breakfast on day 2 !

We would never have booked a overnight flight if we had been alerted to the fact that we couldn't board until 8.00pm.

And as for having to depart the ship at 5.30, I am astonished and disgusted if this is correct, so angry!

I don't understand why you will be disembarking at 0530. We embarked on a Friday afternoon and had our cabin at 2000. The following Friday we had to disembark by 1500.

Those that embarked on Saturday morning had to disembark at the dawn as the ship sails at 1000.

So if you embark late you disembark late on Fridays. Or if you embark early you disembark early on Saturdays.

Remember that a lot of flights to Europe leave Dubai in the early hours - KLM at 0155, Air France at 0115, Turkish at 0355 so you may be out earlier than 0530.

I don't understand why you will be disembarking at 0530. We embarked on a Friday afternoon and had our cabin at 2000. The following Friday we had to disembark by 1500.

Those that embarked on Saturday morning had to disembark at the dawn as the ship sails at 1000.

So if you embark late you disembark late on Fridays. Or if you embark early you disembark early on Saturdays.

Remember that a lot of flights to Europe leave Dubai in the early hours - KLM at 0155, Air France at 0115, Turkish at 0355 so you may be out earlier than 0530.

It helps if people can read and understand. I never said that passengers have to disembark at 05:30. What the Costa information and what I said was that those passengers disembarking on the second day have to be out / vacate / leave / sling their hook from THEIR CABIN BY 05:30.

GMT, is there any reason why we would not be allowed to carry off luggage when we disembark on day two, rather than it be collected the previous day, while we plan to be out for the day ?

I just translated the german information, I did not write it.

There should be no reason why you cannot carry your luggage off by yourself, just don't leave it outside your cabin. You will have to take your luggage when you have to vacate your cabin by 05:30 and keep them with you (unless there is a room to store) until you disembark.

It helps if people can read and understand. I never said that passengers have to disembark at 05:30. What the Costa information and what I said was that those passengers disembarking on the second day have to be out / vacate / leave / sling their hook from THEIR CABIN BY 05:30.

Okay - keep your knickers on! No need for your aggressive post! Remember there are folk here who are no Anglophones so there may be things lost in translation / interpretation.

If you have to vacate the cabin at 0530 I think you will be off the ship by 0730 as new passengers come on board at 0800 and ship sails at 1000.

Okay - keep your knickers on! No need for your aggressive post! Remember there are folk here who are no Anglophones so there may be things lost in translation / interpretation.

If you have to vacate the cabin at 0530 I think you will be off the ship by 0730 as new passengers come on board at 0800 and ship sails at 1000.

I am not being agressive, but when I take the time to translate and post relevant information, including attachement and then other poster cannot take the time to read it correctly then that makes me f**king mad.:D

I do not wear knickers, my Gran used too, but not always on: On ocassion the knicker elastic would go ping and the knickers would be around her ankles, without a word or loss of composure she would step out of them and stuff them in her shopping bag. Then once she got home she'd take out the old elastic and threadle new elastic through with a safety pin. Today she would be charged with being obscene.

The ship, Fortuna on 24th. December sails at 13:00.

I am not being agressive, but when I take the time to translate and post relevant information, including attachement and then other poster cannot take the time to read it correctly then that makes me f**king mad.:D

I do not wear knickers, my Gran used too, but not always on: On ocassion the knicker elastic would go ping and the knickers would be around her ankles, without a word or loss of composure she would step out of them and stuff them in her shopping bag. Then once she got home she'd take out the old elastic and threadle new elastic through with a safety pin. Today she would be charged with being obscene.

The ship, Fortuna on 24th. December sails at 13:00.

Correction! Not knickers! Bloomers!

I also thought despite the very useful info the post had a very aggressive tone to it that was unnecessary!

For the purposes of info, I have discussed with our agent Iglu and await Costa's response to queries raised, will post their response in due course

Limpit looking forward to what you find out. Just a thought if you choose to board on day 2 you will still have to disembark on day 1 otherwise you will have to change your booking hence only a 6 night cruise not 7 which you have paid for.

Yes, will post their response.

Don't quite understand the issue of boarding date, we have paid for a 7 night cruise that begins on 23rd Dec, and takes us to the 30th, so if we board on the 24th before she sails, (as a result of the boarding time and time cabin is available) why will this cause any problems, we will still be disembarking the same date !

I also thought despite the very useful info the post had a very aggressive tone to it that was unnecessary!

For the purposes of info, I have discussed with our agent Iglu and await Costa's response to queries raised, will post their response in due course

I wonder why I bother posting information that could be useful to other cruisers. I take the time to post but others cannot take the time to read correctly and then post totally false information. Posting incorrect information was unnecessary.

I don't know where this forum will end?