Kristiansund Tour Advice

Otis

I have gotten terrific information from helpful posters on this forum for our cruise in July.

The one port that I still haven't made a decision about is Kristiansund. The basic ship tours are:

-1/2 day Atlantic Ocean Rd./Viking Ship

-Island of Grip

-Panoramic Kristiansund by coach (stops at Kippfish Museum)

-Atlantic Ocean Rd. and Stave Church

We are also happy to tackle the town on our own, if that makes sense. We have no physical limitations and would love any suggestions from people who know this port.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are just there for the day I would be inclined to do the town on your own -- there is a helpful walking tour map free from the Tourist Information Bureau. We basically did a circuit up to the lookout out tower on one side of the town.

Then we took one of the small fleet of hop on hop off ferry boats (identical to those on the Hudson River and very cheap). which took us across to the other Side of the Sound.

If you have time you could get off at each if stopping places which are close to the various tourist hotspots.

I have gotten terrific information from helpful posters on this forum for our cruise in July.

The one port that I still haven't made a decision about is Kristiansund. The basic ship tours are:

-1/2 day Atlantic Ocean Rd./Viking Ship

-Island of Grip

-Panoramic Kristiansund by coach (stops at Kippfish Museum)

-Atlantic Ocean Rd. and Stave Church

We are also happy to tackle the town on our own, if that makes sense. We have no physical limitations and would love any suggestions from people who know this port.

Thanks in advance.

I will strongly advice you to do the Atlantic road. Its such an incredible experiance.

If you choose the half day tour I would imagine you have time to wonder around the town on your own.

Its a small town so easy to do diy.

• 5 months later...

If you are looking for an easy DIY day, this was a great port for it. The ship is docked right in town, ten minute walk and that is it. We enjoy history and enjoyed our morning waking and hiking around the old WW II remnants that are very close by, including old gun batteries scattered about. The setting is gorgeous...pine trees, hills and views of the harbor. There was a ships walking tour of the ruins but we did it easily on our own and covered much more ground. There were helpful tourist board people stationed outside the ship with maps, so quite easy to find things.

Then we came back to the ship for a quick lunch (prices in Norway are frightfully high!) then walked into town and enjoyed a pleasant day shopping and walking along the waterfront.

I-Cruiser--is it better to rent a car so you get a front site view of the Atlantic Highway or is a tour sufficient as I'm sure it will be provided on the ship we are and paid for but I'm willing to rent a car to get the experience.

Linda

Linda - either way actually.

The good thing about a car is that you can stop as you please and you both have front seat views of the nature and road.

Also, you can stop and have a picnic lunch at one of the rest stops along the way.

Lars:)

Thanks!! That's what I was thinking too Lars. Ok I just noticed you live in Alesund. I was telling a gal online that I know from a FB group that we were thinking about flying into Alesund for a day and asked her if she had ever been there (she lives in Oslo) and she had and she said not much there. Tell me Lars about your home town why we should fly into there. I'm also into landscape photography. :):D

Linda

Edited by linderbelle

Thanks!! That's what I was thinking too Lars. Ok I just noticed you live in Alesund. I was telling a gal online that I know from a FB group that we were thinking about flying into Alesund for a day and asked her if she had ever been there (she lives in Oslo) and she had and she said not much there. Tell me Lars about your home town why we should fly into there. I'm also into landscape photography. :):D

Linda

Clearly she must have been looking in all the wrong places.:D

If you are into landscape photography you will have lots to take pictures off.

You should walk the streets and admire the art nouveau architecture. Streets like Konges gate, Apoteker gata, Moloveien are just a few streets not to miss. A must and you cant miss it is, Brosundet in the middle of town. Visit the Jugend style museum and "Cube" art center. Make sure you get a picture of the Ålesund church

You should walk the stairs up to Mt. Aksla and admire the views of the town, surrounding islands and the mountain range.

Visit the open air museum (Sunnmøre Museum) a 5 minute car ride from the town center.

You should really visit the Lighthouse and take in the scenery at Alnes at Godøya Island. Visit the old church at the island of Giske.

From Ålesund you can also venture out into the fjords.

You will have enough to fill a day or two. :)

Convinced me!!! :D I've been pinning stuff onto Pinterest and went in there and looked after I posted and saw lots of stuff I had pinned. Saw this for one https://www.pinterest.com/pin/222857881536248744/ Thanks for your input. I so appreciate it!!!! I can't wait!!!! Sooooo excited. Some people aren't into the beauty that surrounds us daily.

Linda

Convinced me!!! :D I've been pinning stuff onto Pinterest and went in there and looked after I posted and saw lots of stuff I had pinned. Saw this for one https://www.pinterest.com/pin/222857881536248744/ Thanks for your input. I so appreciate it!!!! I can't wait!!!! Sooooo excited. Some people aren't into the beauty that surrounds us daily.

Linda

Ålesund is a very pretty town and since you are into photography you will find so many superb shots.

I feel sorry for those that fail to see beauty in the places that surround us.

The picture you pinned is of the cinema in town.

Actually, we like Ålesund so much that we just bought an apartment in town. Its located in my favourite part of town by Apoteker gata/road. Just around the corner from Brosundet.

Now we are in the process of putting our house for sale. Lots to do before moving in January.

I would be more then happy to help you plan your ports. At least as much as I can do.

Check out my thread in my siggy. Lots of great stuff there.

Lars:)

It will probably be fly from oslo to Alesund in the evening and will probably only have one full day there and then not sure but might even have to fly out that night to UK and spend night and board plane to go home. Have to figure it out a bit yet.

I'm very pleased with that new cruise I found and after we get off in the Arctic Circle we will fly into Oslo and then over to Alesund.

Linda

Most of the tours come free from the cruise line--just don't have the information yet--too early. Some places we just may do our own thing. I think we will in Kristiansund--want a front seat birdseye view and yes be able to stop when we want.

Linda