Berlin to Cruise Port

SueZ2

We will be flying in to Berlin airport and stay a day or two pre-cruise and pick up the Regal in port. We decided to fly to Berlin instead of Copenhagen as fairs from Philadelphia are $1000.00 less pp (4 of us). Picking up the ship in Berlin is relatively new as they were just round trip from Copenhagen. Has anyone taken Princess transfers from the city to the port? They are charging $198pp round trip and was wondering if there was a less expensive transfer or should we stick with what Princess offers?

We have also signed up for the Princess Transfers as we are planning a 4 day pre cruise Berlin visit.

People will recommend train service on this board, but for us we just didn't want to deal with the trains and transfers.

Which date are you cruising, our cruise departs August 11th.

Leta

Picking up the ship in Berlin is relatively new as they were just round trip from Copenhagen. Has anyone taken Princess transfers from the city to the port? They are charging $198pp round trip and was wondering if there was a less expensive transfer or should we stick with what Princess offers?

To get from Berlin to Warnemuende, where the ship docks, (a distance of about 150 miles), you could rent a car (which would likely incur a drop-off fee), take the train (about 3.5 hours - 4 hours at a cost of as little as 50 Euros per person RT) or take the Princess transfer.

If you want to book the train, go to: http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/

Princess transfers may be the best choice for some people but our group of four (4) seniors (69-70 yrs) made the trip from Berlin to Warnemunde on a Sunday (Aug 23, 2015) using a "Schönes Wochenende" rate which was €52 (for four people). We disembarked on a Thursday and used a Quer Durch ticket which was €68 (for four people). The only difficulty we had was on Sundays there are lots of "locals" using the train to Warnemunde because it's a very poplular resort. Seats were difficult to obtain so look at the DB site and get on the train at Berlin Hbf (not Berlin Gesundbrunnen as we did) and you'll be fine.

We disembarked on a Thursday (Sep 3, 2015) and we took a 9am train from port to Rostock and then onto Berlin and seats were plentiful. Princess uses earlier trains for it's tours. We use the trains often, you just need to be able to lift a bag onto the train from the platform. You can buy both of the tickets we used on-line before you head to Germany. Good luck __________________

We just did this about a month ago. We flew to Berlin, spent 3 wonderful days there, rented a car the day before the cruise and drove the back roads up to Warnumunde. We wanted to see a little more of Germany before boarding the ship, so we visited Ludwigslust, Schwerin Castle and Wismar on our way to the port. But we could have easily done the drive up in about 3 hours if we hadn't wanted to sightsee. We rented through Sixt (a Mercedes) for about 60 euro/day. We picked it up close to Brandenburg Gate in Berlin and dropped it off at the cruise port. It was very easy to drive and the roads are well marked, and the car had a GPS so we didn't get lost at all. It was a relaxing way to get to the port and we were both really glad we decided to drive.

But if you don't want to drive, there is a bus that is very reasonable but for the life of me I can't find the name of it right now. I'll post back when I find it.

The bus website is flixbus.com and the cost is 11 euro one-way. We did not use this bus since we rented a car, but it looks very convenient. It's another option that seems easier and less expensive than the train or the Princess transfer. Maybe someone on here has experience with this service and can chime in on how it worked out.

Flixbus is a well known bus company which gets you almost everywhere in Germany for less money than the railway.

But if you want to go from Berlin to Warnemünde for a cruise I would not recommend this right now.

reasons are:

You would have to go from the Airport (Schönefeld I suppose as BER has not opened yet) to the central bus stop in Berlin (use Berlin City Train called S-Bahn). Flixbus from Berlin to Rostock. From Rostock central bus stop to cruise port Warnemünde S-Bahn in Rostock (Warnemünde is a part of the city of Rostock, the railway station Warnemünde is a few steps from the cruise port).

Lots of carrying your luggage around and a big risk of delays as right now there is a lot of construction on the highways (we call them Autobahn) around Berlin. The bus might get stuck in a traffic jam and not be able to keep it´s schedule. The bus can´t do the wonderful tour pompeji did due to it´s schedule.

I would recommend you take the train or if you want the bus arrive 1 day pre-cruise. Warnemünde is a great place to spend the day of embarkation.

Edited by AntjeG

• 4 months later...

Hi, I know this thread" is old, but figured I would try here before starting a new one.

We will be flying into Berlin 2 days early for our Princess Cruise out of Warnemünde. On our full day in Berlin, we would like to do a Tour - no walking please, hubby has limited mobility - which would include the Holocaust Museum, etc. Please any recommendations on who to use would be appreciated. I am looking at Hotel Berlin for our stay, so we would want to be picked up in that general area. The length of the tour could be as little as 4 hours or as many as 6-8 hours.

Hotel Berlin seems like it would be good, but any thoughts would be appreciated on this hotel.

Then we would need to get to Warnemünde on our sail day. Would the train be best and is it nearby the Hotel Berlin? Could anyone tell me where to get the schedule. I would "assume" it is about 3-4 hours, so would like to arrive in plenty of time before the ship sails. It sails on a Friday.

Does anyone know if it is possible to take the Princess Transfer from the airport. That would entail going back to the Airport and just wondering if anyone has done this and how you set it up.

Thank you:):)

You can check train schedules (and fares) at www.bahn.com or you can download their app on your phone/tablet. You mention mobility issues, if you use the train you need to be able to lift your bag(s) onto the train and put them in a storage rack. The train from Berlin to Warnemunde has a change in Rostock on weekdays. The fare (without reductions) is E42 per person and the trip (best connections) takes 3 hrs 15 min. If you did use the Hotel Berlin you'd probably take a taxi to the Berlin Potsdamer Platz station. There is a train on Fridays at 8:38am which arrives Warnemunde at 11:54am. These are regional trains (second class only) but with very comfortable seats in a two deck configuration. It is the way my wife and I used to the port. From the port it is about a 10 minute walk to the Princess tent used for embarkation. There are taxis available if necessary. It is a relaxing and scenic journey.

I cannot recommend tours as we used the excellent transportation system of Berlin to visit the museums, sites, etc. Good luck.

If you decide on a Princess transfer instead of the train, it is simple to arrange.

You can either call Princess or set it up in your online account. You would return to the airport and the Princess representative would meet you at the designated spot.

If you decide on a Princess transfer instead of the train, it is simple to arrange.

You can either call Princess or set it up in your online account. You would return to the airport and the Princess representative would meet you at the designated spot.

Good news. Thanks.:)

BAMA_BOY, Thank you so much for the great info.:)

Hi, I note that you are travelling in April which could make a difference.

There are no direct trains. All journeys involve a change in Rostock.

Until 29th April 2016 the trains between Rostock and Warnemunde terminate at Warnemunde Werft, one station before the cruise terminal. The short distance between the two stations is completed by bus or walking. The access from the bus to the cruise terminal could be difficult due to the building works.

The timetables between Berlin and Rostock have changed slightly. For up-to-date information see

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To do the journey by train using Potsdamer Platz station would involve a taxi from the hotel, negotiating a large complex station, change of trains in Rostock, change to bus in Warnemunde and walk to the ship from the bus.

As you mention mobility problems and assuming you have luggage I would recommend taking a taxi from your hotel to the airport and using the Princess transfer which is more expensive but infinitely easier in your case.

Or, if you still prefer to use the train, using the main station in Berlin which is easier to navigate for a stranger and taking a taxi from Rostock main station to the cruise terminal.

I am all for using public transport as opposed to cruise ship transfers but in your situation I think a less stressful beginning to your cruise would be worth the extra cost.

Happy planning :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

To do the journey by train using Potsdamer Platz station would involve a taxi from the hotel, negotiating a large complex station...

Or, if you still prefer to use the train, using the main station in Berlin which is easier to navigate for a stranger.

I was thinking about the same thing as Anni. Potsdamer Platz is a bit closer to Hotel Berlin Lützowplatz than Berlin Haubtbahnhof but Potsdamer Platz is a very complex place with entries here and there, some going to the subway, some to the local trains and some to the inter city trains. Eventually you will find the correct way of course but the first expression is quite confusing.

Berlin Haubtbahnhof (main station) is very huge and complex as well but it is very open so you can see where you are going. In your case you should take the escalator or elevator downwards to reach the underground north bound trains. It says "tief" = deep (down) on the railroad tables.

Regarding Hotel Berlin, from my experience its an OK hotel, but huge with long corridors (see picture). So if mobility is a big issue perhaps it might be an idea to contact the hotel and see if it is possible to arrange for a room near the elevators? As far as I remember only the 3+3 elevators in the middle of the building takes you all the way down to the ground floor. The lobby is where the red circle with a human figure is on the picture and then, on the ground floor, a wide corridor with bar etc. goes across the building to the other three elevators and exit to the parking place.

hotelberlin_zpsfupmiml7.jpg

Edited by Ultima Thule