getting from San Frran airport to Pier

wasup254

I am a born and raised Bay Area native and I recommend using Bart. But only if you are ready to schlep around your own luggage and are not afraid to ask questions if needed (as my dh and I am are). You can catch Bart from the airport to the SF area. The closest Bart station to the pier is the Embarcadero station. On Embarcadero St. is where all the piers are. You can walk, take a taxi or bus it from there. Just follow the directions on Bart on how to get to SF. It is very easy and very economical and trains leave around the clock. I've taken Bart from the airport to my home two times and like the convenience of depending on myself and saving some money. Anyways, good luck.

Hi, Wasup - A taxi to the pier should be around $40-45 and take 20 - 30 minutes depending on the time of day; the taxis in San Francisco are metered, plus there's a surcharge for rush hour and for extra luggage.
A luxury sedan arranged in advance should be $65 - 90. Just search the web for local companies such as Carey Limo.
A shuttle van such as SuperShuttle will be $14 - 17 per person, but you'll need to wait for the shuttle to fill up, and then wait for it to drop off each person along the way. If you're not in a hurry, it can be a good way to see a little of the city and meet some locals.
If your luggage is on wheels and you're willing to walk a bit, negotiate escalators, etc., BART can help you reduce the cost by getting you to the Embarcadero station downtown for about $3 per person. From there, just hail a cab to the piers for about $5-7. I don't recommend walking from the station to the pier - it's a 1/2 mile hike along the bay. It's a beautiful walk, just not with a lot of luggage after a cross-country flight! If you want to sightsee, I recommend checking in at the pier, then get back off the ship and walk (sans luggage) for a few hours.

All in all, I'd recommend a taxi or limo unless you're either very patient and adventurous, or very strapped for cash!

I took BART last May from airport to Embacadero (my pre-night hotel was right at this station). Horrible. Schlepping bags was no fun - even one on wheels such as I had -- too much walking, escalators, stairs, crowded cars. My arms were numb. By the time I reached Embacadero Station I was kicking myself for not taking a taxi.

But I wanted to experience BART -- which I will take again next time I'm in San Francisco -- just not with any serious luggage!

Archived