Packing: To Roll or Not to Roll?

meag

I've heard of many people "rolling" their clothing to make more space in their luggage. Does this actual work, while keeping the clothing unwrinkled? Should I take the risk or pack normally? Has anyone does this personally before?

If you have a chance, go over to the fashion boards and the ladies over there, including me ;) have many great ideas for packing. In ref to your particular question, I roll. I feel that my clothes stay wrinkle free and that I can also pack more. Hope this helps. ;)

Oops sorry! I wasn't sure where to post this. I guess that would be a good place to post this. *embarrassed *

Don't be sorry! I see nothing wrong with posting this here. And to answer your question, I've tried rolling and made a big wrinkled mess out of my clothes, so I don't do it that way. :)

The best packing advice I ever got was this: put each individual outfit on a wire coat hanger, and then cover it in a plastic dry-cleaning bag. Then drape each outfit, allowing parts to hang over the edges of the suitcase. The final step is to fold in the edges, piece by piece. This process uses each article of clothing as padding for another, reducing wrinkles and definite creases. It also offers the benefit of making unpacking incredibly quick and easy—simply take the outfits out of the suitcase and hang them in the closet. When packing to go home, throw out the bags and hangers to make more suitcase room for souvenirs.

have never rolled----use large 2 1/2 gal hefty zip lock bags and i put my clothes in them --folded neatly and laid flat- then i sit on it and get the air out of the bag and zip it ---and it works wonderfully --- this will also give you more room in the suitcase but dont overpack because you will be charged at the airport for every bag that weighs over 50 lb

My mom tried this on her last cruise and she claimed it worked! She unpacked the minute she got to the room and her clothes looked great. Before you go on your cruise, maybe you can practice on some of the items you are worried about and see if it works. Have you ever tried Downey Wrinkle Releaser? It works wonders, though some people do not like the floral scent. Have a good time!

I roll casual t-shirts, jeans and slacks - saves lots of room.

Then, like Shelli, for my better outfits, I leave them on individual hangers in dry cleaner plastic bags and use her method to pack them in the suitcase.

Using both methods can work out great! :)

Archived