Elatation or Norwegian Sea?? HELP!

eastexascruiser

We actually are already booked on Elation but I just noticed the Norwegian Sea out of Houston. The itinerary (and price) looks awesome on the Norwegian Sea. We will have 2 children with us so I am concerned about the children's programs on Norwegian. This will be our 4th cruise. Most recently we've sailed Rhapsody and Celebration. We enjoyed both. Would we be disappointed on Norwegian? Please help!

While I don't think you would be disappointed on Norwegian Sea, I do think you would enjoy yourselves more on the Elation. I've not been on the Elation, but have been on Celebration twice. If comparing NCL Sea to Celebration I would say the Sea is an older, smaller ship in not as good of condition. The rooms on the sea are much smaller! The entertainment was not as good. We do not have kids so I cannot compare the kids programs. However, from what I've heard in talking with parents on our cruises Carnival's program is more kid oriented.

The Sea is docked in Houston and there is nothing around the port area. It's actually a very dirty, unattractive area around the port. Galveston on the other hand is beautiful and lots to do within walking distance.

There is a reason the NCL Sea prices are significantly lower. This has always been the case.

Of the 7 cruises we've taken (about to be 8 - leave tomorrow for Alaska!) the Sea has been our least favorite. Was still a good cruise, but our least favorite of all. Again, I think you'd enjoy either, but one more than the other.

Hi cpayne & eastexascruiser

I notice you were on the Sea in 2000 - since that time she has undergone a major refurbishment and is now much nicer and in better condition than the Celebration. Actually the Celebration was built in 1986 and the Sea in 1988 - so the Sea is two years newer - the Celebration is 46,000 tons and the Sea is 42,000 tons - I don't believe anyone could tell the difference. As for the area around the Port of Houston - Yes, it is a typical working port - but, the terminal and parking are fine and who is going to stay at the port anyway. I do agree with you on the kid's program - I do believe Carnival does a better job with the kids.

Regards

Archived