Thomson changing carriers

We have been booked since earlier in the year on Celebration 1st Oct , all details have shown Thomson airways out and back (Glasgow). Re-checked online now (checking price now). anyway outbound carrier now showing other airline!!! Coming back is Thomson, you cannot also now book extra luggage & or seats. They have also now added a Edinburgh flight (which is better for us but was not available at time of booking).

With the new ships having more capacity, is this a reflection that they don't have enough of there own planes to get the ships full & are using other carriers on routes to fill them?

• 4 weeks later...
Know how you must feel and presumably you have no other airports you can transfer too, looks like it is becoming the norm now.

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

Edinburgh is always my 1st choice as it's closer but there was no Edinburgh flight available when the cruise was booked. There is now but its £218 extra:eek: plus have booked parking and there are 8 of us going now. Better not be a problem with luggage allowance:mad:

That's unfortunate, have you looked up Alba Star on TripAdvisor looks like they have 4 × 737-400s not great reports, but which airliner has! Think I would check luggage allowance with them but I would expect its not as good as Thomson. Good luck & hope all goes well and doesn't spoil your holiday.

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

Yes we were booked onto the Glasgow flight. The Alba star flight is now 09-50 going out (almost three hours later), so you lose a bit of your first day. Plus we had pre booked seats/luggage. You can't do that on Alba star, bizarrlely it was still a Thomson flight coming back into Glasgow.

We have changed to Edinburgh (same as previously stated this was not available when we booked) (flying with BA), plus point we go out at 05-35 now.

Not sure on seat booking status with BA. But assume planes will be good. Also see (we stay in Fife) that you can drop of luggae the night before on a BA flight (not sure if this will be case where the flight has been chartered by Thomson.

I assume given the capacity of the news ships, alternate carriers may become the norm and many who book earlier may see changes long after they book & in our case we found the change & were not informed by Thomson. Indeed on teh first call teh said it was not the case, it was only after we advsied them we had got teh details from the website via trying a new booking they said oh yes it has changed.

Been in Edinburgh watching Hearts hammer Rangers :D so a bit late on the board I hadn't realised the flight time change as well. We are in a party of 8 from Fife to Hamilton and all flying from Glasgow. I have already organised parking and another couple had booked to stay overnight so moving wouldn't be an option. On the plus side I'm told that the 20kg and 7kg bag allowances remain, although I'm still annoyed at not being told by Thomson not quite as bad as them changing my Cuba cruise last year knocking off 2 ports and adding a day at sea without telling us:mad:. Same as this time I found out on Cruise Critic.

Edited by 790294

• 3 weeks later...
Yes we were booked onto the Glasgow flight. The Alba star flight is now 09-50 going out (almost three hours later), so you lose a bit of your first day. Plus we had pre booked seats/luggage. You can't do that on Alba star, bizarrlely it was still a Thomson flight coming back into Glasgow.

We have changed to Edinburgh (same as previously stated this was not available when we booked) (flying with BA), plus point we go out at 05-35 now.

Not sure on seat booking status with BA. But assume planes will be good. Also see (we stay in Fife) that you can drop of luggae the night before on a BA flight (not sure if this will be case where the flight has been chartered by Thomson.

I assume given the capacity of the news ships, alternate carriers may become the norm and many who book earlier may see changes long after they book & in our case we found the change & were not informed by Thomson. Indeed on teh first call teh said it was not the case, it was only after we advsied them we had got teh details from the website via trying a new booking they said oh yes it has changed.

I also flying from glasgow but on the 20th aug and i had booked extra baggage weight when i booked cruise and i found out through this web site that alba star was going to be the carrier . I e mailed thomson for confirmation on this and they mailed me back confirming this but told me my baggage weight 25kg is upheld and wont change due to different carrier time will tell .But i was not aware the flight time had changed will be getting back in touch with thomson tomorrow . Keith hall

• 1 month later...

FIFE 1 This happened to our party last year (Glasgow flight) on the inaugural sailing of the Discovery from Palma, changed us to a French Airline no baggage upgrade allowed one Thomson Flight Attendant, the rest were French attendants. The plane was actually a Freight airline with seats that can be removed. Not a good move on Thomson's part. back on Discovery in November meant to be the Dreamliner Glasgow to Barbados, premium booked hope they dont let me down this time.

• 3 weeks later...

We have booked Discovery for the 19th August. Our TA managed to get us on the BA flight from Glasgow leaving at 0630. I am a bit funny about flying and she knows I prefer to travel on an airline I am familiar with (stupid I know). The original scheduled flight did not leave Glasgow till the afternoon which would have meant loosing a good part of the day, same problem with the return flight leaving later in the day which meant hanging about the ship. Extra luggage was also a factor in travelling with BA.

We have booked Discovery for the 19th August. Our TA managed to get us on the BA flight from Glasgow leaving at 0630. I am a bit funny about flying and she knows I prefer to travel on an airline I am familiar with (stupid I know). The original scheduled flight did not leave Glasgow till the afternoon which would have meant loosing a good part of the day, same problem with the return flight leaving later in the day which meant hanging about the ship. Extra luggage was also a factor in travelling with BA.

It's not stupid at all. I wouldn't be happy flying with an airline that I had never heard of.

That's unfortunate, have you looked up Alba Star on TripAdvisor looks like they have 4 × 737-400s not great reports, but which airliner has!

We've had a couple of package holidays with Jet2 in the last 9 months and were well pleased.

Quick single queue check in at departure airport, more legroom than Thomsons and Thomas Cook (ample for average punter), efficient transfers - and hotel based luggage check in on morning of return flight.

Plus no credit card surcharge when booking the deal.

Now our preferred tour operator for hotel packages.

We've had a couple of package holidays with Jet2 in the last 9 months and were well pleased.

Quick single queue check in at departure airport, more legroom than Thomsons and Thomas Cook (ample for average punter), efficient transfers - and hotel based luggage check in on morning of return flight.

Plus no credit card surcharge when booking the deal.

Now our preferred tour operator for hotel packages.

I agree Jet 2 are superb and totally customer focussed [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
It's not stupid at all. I wouldn't be happy flying with an airline that I had never heard of.

We are flying out on the same day from Glasgow with BA but my travel agent said the flight at 6.50?

:confused: