Wine selection on Silver Galapagos

Clay&Jenn

As you probably know by now, they are required to use as many Ecuadorian products as possible (produce, fish, meat, etc.). This includes wine...and the wine was either Ecuadorian or South American. There is not a huge selection but it was certainly decent and drinkable. I do know quite a bit about wine and enjoy it, and I would say what they offered was better than what I expected. I don't think there is anything like the "connisseurs list" they have on the other ships; they offer a wine of the day and if you don't like what they are serving (i.e., perhaps pinot grigio) you can ask for something else (chardonnay). We thought the food was simple but overall quite good/fresh and well-prepared. As you probably also know, this is a VERY active vacation with the day typically starting at 7am, so most people have dinner and head to their cabins after being out in the hot sun all day...so not much night life. And since there is a lecture at about 7pm on the next day's activities followed by dinner, there isn't much of a cocktail hour before dinner either since you typically return to the ship at 6pm.

Hope that helps!

When we were on celebrity xpedition (yes, I know, totally different cruise line, but subject to the same rules ), we were pleasantly surprised by the wines. All Chilean but good enough. Hope to find the same is true or better on Silversea.

While the wines were good enough, the food, particularly beef, left a lot to be desired on xpedition. The fish was quite good though. My feeling was that they should have just stuck to what was good, and not served inferior beef.