Boarding MSC in Venice - luggage drop off and timing?

Juvesgirl

Hi! We will be boarding the MSC Musica in Venice. Itinerary says departure is 5pm. We want to make the most of the day in Venice and board as late as possible. Some questions:

1) Should we drop off our luggage in the morning, sight-see, and return to the port? Or should we just bring our luggage when we are ready to board? If drop off in the morning, do we check in for our cruise then, too? Or later when we are ready to board?

2) Does anyone know the cut-off time for boarding? We don't want to cut it too close, but we want to spend as much time as possible exploring Venice, as when we return from the cruise we head straight to the airport.

Also posting this in the Italy forum.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

We are departing Venice on a Windstar cruise ships out at 20:00 all aboard 17:00. We are arriving at Marco Polo airport about 07:00. We have arraigned land transport to the cruise terminal where will drop off luggage and spend what I hope will be a good part of the day on Venice. Can't imagine toting bags around all day

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Hi! We will be boarding the MSC Musica in Venice. Itinerary says departure is 5pm. We want to make the most of the day in Venice and board as late as possible. Some questions:

1) Should we drop off our luggage in the morning, sight-see, and return to the port? Or should we just bring our luggage when we are ready to board? If drop off in the morning, do we check in for our cruise then, too? Or later when we are ready to board?

2) Does anyone know the cut-off time for boarding? We don't want to cut it too close, but we want to spend as much time as possible exploring Venice, as when we return from the cruise we head straight to the airport.

Also posting this in the Italy forum.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Make sure you are in port before 3:30 .

We are departing Venice on a Windstar cruise ships out at 20:00 all aboard 17:00. We are arriving at Marco Polo airport about 07:00. We have arraigned land transport to the cruise terminal where will drop off luggage and spend what I hope will be a good part of the day on Venice. Can't imagine toting bags around all day

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the input! We are staying in a hotel the night before, so I was thinking of leaving the luggage at the hotel for the day while we sightsee instead of taking two trips to the port.

The passenger terminal at the port isn't particularly easy to reach from the Canal Grande. I agree that one trip makes more sense than two.

I would add that the embarkation process was generally disorganized. (Obviously, it was better for YC passengers.)

I was more acquainted with Italy in general than with cruises in particular, so I wasn't completely surprised. It was definitely something to be endured rather than enjoyed.

Have a great trip.

LPD

The passenger terminal at the port isn't particularly easy to reach from the Canal Grande. I agree that one trip makes more sense than two.

I would add that the embarkation process was generally disorganized. (Obviously, it was better for YC passengers.)

I was more acquainted with Italy in general than with cruises in particular, so I wasn't completely surprised. It was definitely something to be endured rather than enjoyed.

Have a great trip.

LPD

This is helpful advice - thank you!!