All inclusive resorts

hlsess

Just curious if anyone can give me some names of nice all inclusive resorts in Cancun. Thanks

Most TA's can provide a charter catalog from Apple Vacations, Vacation Express or Vacations to Go charters that have pic, description, quality rating for majority of AIs in Cancun and elsewhere. In fact, these charter websites allow browsing of properties - Applevacations.com would be a good start. There are a wide range of quality, property amenities and catalogs have index's that check off the features available. Palace Resort properties were 'higher rated' and allowed you to visit, use any of their several properties' facilities during the day.

Our trip to Cancun on charter package was OK, except that - silly me - we expected some guiet relaxing Mexico experience. We stayed at Gran Caribe Real which was 5.5 star rated and now is 5. It was OK but AI food was nothing special - quantity over quality. Cancun is young adult oriented overall, with big-city hustle/bustle, heavy traffic, malls, discos, pressure to do time share spiels YOU won a free hotel managers cocktail party!

For quieter, slower paced AI, pick Playa del Carmen which is 45-min ride S of Cancun. They have similar properties there but more spread out, bigger beach areas, less urbanized (as of 3 years age) We would never do Cancun again but we're in early fifities and wanted escape, relaxation, not Miami South Beach. :D

I found a neat website- www.locogringo.com It has forums about inclusive resorts- things to do- etc. I really enjoyed it. Has a lot of info available. It's interesting that a lot of people tend to favor the lesser star resorts south of town. Like the last poster said- and even further south- like in Akumal.

We stayed at the Park Royal Piramides in Cancun twice and would recommend it. The location is good (middle of the North-South Hotel zone), the beach is beautiful, the food and drinks are fine, the place is spotless, and the price is lower than most. When we were there, they didn't have evening entertainment.

Greydog, we're in our late fifties and like our vacations to be relaxing at times and exciting at other times. Check the comments and forum on tripadvisor.com on Gran Caribe. It's right in line with your experience. We stayed in a villa about 50' from the sea at the Hyatt Cancun Caribe this year and didn't take the AI option. This quiet, elegant hotel with all oceanfront rooms is not marketed to young people. We loved it and we're going back in January. We prefer to take the bus everywhere we go including to Playa del Carmen.

For a totally different Miami Beach experience from the one you hinted at, we stay at the Sheraton Bal Harbour and Edenroc Resort.

• 2 weeks later...

We just spent four days at the (AI) Riu Palace Las Americas last month. We were there for a wedding and were part of a multi-generational group. Most of the group were in their late twenty's/early thirty's. I am a fairly quiet (have rowdied down with all of Hank Jr's friends) 50 something. The resort was elegant, food pretty good - the variety was almost overwhelming. We really liked the gourmet restaurant and the grillroom. Rooms were very nice. Service was good. There was a "quiet" pool and a party pool. However, both closed very early. I would say it's a good place to go and relax. There was a nightclub with entertainment and a disco at the sister hotel (Riu Cancun) next door. All the "kids" said that these weren't really happening places. (They headed out one night for a place called Coco Bongo.) They did manage to meet others their age and have a good time.

There was a good variety of water sports.

There was a station to one side of the lobby where a guy hand rolled cigars. He received high reviews from DH, DS and DSS. DD and I found shopping across the street.

Might be a good compromise for someone who wants to be in Cancun, but not in the direct midst of the party.

• 2 weeks later...

We enjoyed our stay at the Golden Crown Paradise. The food, for an all-inclusive resort is well above average. Four restaurants, including one for sea food, a steak house and one for Mediterranean/seafood cuisine. Excellent location in the middle of the hotel zone. Great beach but just an average pool. The service at the G.C.P. is excellent. This resort does not allow anyone under the age of 18. The G.C.P. gets very good reviews on the Trip Advisor web-site. In my opinion, this resort is a solid 4-star.

We also have stayed at the Oasis Playa; also a very nice resort in the south section of the hotel zone. Food is O.K. and the pool (with swim-up bar) is very nice. The deluxe, oceanview rooms have huge balconies with a private spa. Would rate the Oasis Playa 3 1/2 stars.

Photos of both resorts available at http://sceneisle.myphotoalbum.com

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi!

Cancun is great if it is your first time in Mexico. It offers lots of nightlife, shopping, and partying. If you are looking for a more relaxed time or something a little more adult for the 30's to 50 somethings, then I would pick Playa del Carmen and the surrounding area. The resorts there are great, most are not more than 10 minutes from the center of town, which by the way offers everything Cancun does, but with more of a Jimmy Buffet style of life. The ferry to Coz is right there, an the snorkeling is fabulous. The Riu resorts are always a good choice. The Iberostar resorts are very good, but more expensive. The Palace resorts are more luxurious, but of course you will pay for it. They also offer tours to the ruins, and exchange priviledges with the other 6 properties in the Mayan riviera, with transportation to boot. If you are considering any particular resort, just ask as I have been to most of them. Also, best time to go and save money is October, early November. Prices are best then.

Christine McCabe

Harbor Light Cruises & Travel:)

• 3 months later...

Daughter and Friend stayed at Dreams Cancun in Feb 06 and it was top drawer.

Calm water at that spot. Take it from someone(me) who has stayed at the Royal Sands , Solymar and also the Casa Maya and I much prefer the top/older part of the hotel zone. Geez I could hardly stand up in the water at the Royal Sands the current was so strong.

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be staying at the Oasis Playa on September 9th. :D

Were told that the Oasis group of hotels was great. Had been considering the Riu Cancun (best friend is a travel agent and gets us net rates), but the Oasis seemed the better option in the long run. :)

Check out TripAdvisor as already stated-lots of reviews. ;)

Thanks so much for this post! I was just gonna post a similiar thing. We just got off the Carnival Valor and are planning the next vacation. We are 17 people (10 adults ( grandpa in wheelchair) and 7 kids raning from 9-18) We love cruising but were thinking of something different. SO we looked into some AI's. We heard teh beaches are all seaweedy and gross, anyone know?

Thanks!:p

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a belated follow-up: The Oasis Playa was great-it is located at the far end of the strip, but a short bus ride takes you right into Cancun. Food was acceptable, basically what I expected. I didn't gorge like I do on cruises, lol. The south side of the strip tends to have nicer beaches and is slightly quieter-you don't get as many locals on the beach hocking their 'wares', if that type of thing bothers you.

Must dos are: Coco Bongo's (did it twice) and surprisingly, Dady Rock (nope-not a typo, that's how it's spelt!). I'd do the Riu Cancun next time though-it's basically right downtown.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Riu Palace Las Americas, the nicest of the 3 Riu's in Cancun. Each room is a Jr. Suite plus you're allowed access to the amenities at the other Riu's. But they can't come to the Palace! Read my review: here

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

We are thinking of booking RIU Caribe in June for a week. Good deals out there! Can you premium liquors for your drinks? We drink martinis and like premium booze. How much extra might it cost? Would love some feed back about this hotel!!!

We're staying @ the Riu Caribe in June. Looks Great!!

hello sarah--i woulld like 2 know your experience @rio caribe ie:additional fees and gratuities

restaurants experience

premium liquors? gin and vodka

shady areas on the beach

we are ready 2 book and hope you are early june thx,peggy

have a gr8 time

• 3 weeks later...

I'm planning an AI trip for my 30th bday next year. It seems like a lot of the places I read about on here are great, but are they family oriented? I will have my 5 1/2 year old with me and would love to stay at a resort that has stuff for adults AND young children.

• 3 weeks later...

I love cruising but sometimes rest and relaxation and knowing that pretty much everything is less worriesome and is nice on the wallet.

In addition to Cancun I recommend that you look at Riviera Maya. I have stayed at an Ibersostar Tucan (awesome beach, good value), an all inclusive outside of Playa Del Carmen, and will stay at the Barcelo Maya Palace in Puerto Aventuras in Sep. I have also stayed at regular hotels in Cancun and I like Riviera Maya, South of Cancun better (because it is a bit quieter and the resorts appear to be a bit more expansive and in some cases less expensive). Someone earlier suggested Apple vacations which is a great idea at least to start research. I definitely recommend looking more at those with a golden apple. This means they are more highly rated by their customers and then comparing the prices on apple with others like cheapcarribbean.com and bookit.com. For some reason Bookit sometimes has instant airfare credits up to $400 for seven days and it leads to a big savings. I caught one of these and friends who have been trying to go with us cannont come close to the price I got), One thing to be aware of is that Apple vacations ususally include transportation to Riviera Maya hotels ($40-60 pp) in the overall cost but most others do not. Good luck.

Edited by jg2256

• 2 weeks later...