PNG Port Info

ab2010

Ahoy Cruisers :)

I am in the process of booking a PNG cruise for September next year with Princess, and I have a few questions about what to expect in regards to the weather and also any particular places of interest.

Firstly, I assume September is an ideal time to travel to the area weather-wise, however can someone give me an idea on what to expect? I fully expect humidity, but should I expect rain?

The particular cruise we are looking at visits Alotau, Kiriwina Island, and Rabaul. Does anyone have info regarding shore excursions at these ports? I'm particularly interesting in the war history of the country, as is my husband, but I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanking you all in advance, and happy cruising to anyone who is heading off soon!

• 4 weeks later...

In my research for those ports I have found little. I looked on trip advisor for the private tours and came up with 2 choices for Alotau and booked with the only one who emailed back. :) It does the war stops as well as cultural stops.

Rabaul was the same: trip advisor and booked with the fellow who got back to me.

Both of these companies have high ratings from those who have posted and have been very pleasant to deal with.

Kiriwina Island (and the other stops) have nothing offered either ship tours or private that I have found. I believe, from what I have read so far, that they are hop off the ship and hop back on although there may be a chance to get on a boat run by locals to take you to a beach.

Have you found anything in the meantime?