HEY Concierge Cruisers

ajoneen

This question is to Concierge Cruisers who have sailed on both Magic/Wonder and Dream/Fantasy.

What are the perk differences?

I know the main difference is Dream/Fantasy have the lounge and Magic/Wonder does not. In said lounge they offer a plethora of perks- evening coctails topping my list. But they also do character meets on the private deck.

Do these also happen on the Magic/Wonder? If so where?

Truly thankful for any response. :)

First, the Magic is getting a concierge lounge at the upcoming dry dock.

Yes, the Magic and Wonder use various reserved rooms on the ship for concierge activities including the character meet and greet. Typically the welcome aboard reception is held in the piano bar on the Magic and Wonder. You get a plate of munchies delivered to your suite each afternoon. Soft drink and water refills used to occur in the 2 bedroom suite only, but recently I've read that this may have extended to all suites. In all, you start with a stocked fridge and they will trade out brands if you don't like what is in there--example, you want diet coke and they stocked you with regular coke. You can reach the concierge by phone rather than having them seated in the lounge, but they do check on you at least once a day and often more.

Biggest difference--a one bedroom suite on the Magic for a 7 night cruise is often selling for half of the same length of cruise on the Fantasy.

THANKS for the super quick reply!

Hmmm dry dock. My TA never said anything about that.

A ship is required to have 2 dry docks in a 5 year period (exception is a new ship which can wait 5 years for the first one). The Magic is scheduled for a 2 week dry dock this fall--almost exactly 2 years after her big 6 week "re-imagination" dry dock.

A ship is required to have 2 dry docks in a 5 year period (exception is a new ship which can wait 5 years for the first one). The Magic is scheduled for a 2 week dry dock this fall--almost exactly 2 years after her big 6 week "re-imagination" dry dock.

Do you have a cite for that 2 dry docks in 5 years requirement? I can't seem to find anything from the USCG or a SOLAS requirement for that.

2 dry docks in a 5 year period without the period exceeding 3 years between them. Unless a dispensation is issued for an important reason.

According to a SOLAS requirement, every sea going ship should be dry docked at least twice every 5 years. Dry docks should also be carried out if demanded by the Classification Society. This is usually asked to be done in case the ship has met with a collision, has been grounded in past or has a lousy maintenance practice. Inspection during dry docking is also carried out if the ship is to be sold.

Also, the time gap between two drydocks shouldn't be more than 3 years. Excemptions are provided only if the ship is well maintained and that too just by replacing one drydock with an in water survey.

http://www.brighthubengineering.com/naval-architecture/32659-drydocking-explained-types-of-dry-dock-methods/

As per SOLAS requirement all Merchant vessels requires a complete inspection of hull in a dry dock twice within 5 year period and the intermediate survey must not be more than 36 months. This includes maintenance of hull, propeller, rudder etc. and other parts which are immersed in water and are normally inaccessible by ship staff at normal sailing period.

http://www.marineinsight.com/marine/dry-dock-types-of-dry-docks-requirements-for-dry-dock/

ex techie

does the Dream concierge activities similar? including the character meet.

Essentially yes. There is a welcome aboard reception, a character reception, and nightly happy hour (complimentary alcohol and smoothies). Obviously, the length of Dream cruises limits the number of activities that can be scheduled.

I'll piggy back off this question. We are thinking of doing Concierge for my family in 2016 and other parts of the family (grandparents) are going to go.

My question has to do with the 'security' of concierge. Will our grandparents be able to visit our room or is there a bouncer at the elevator that won't let you past? Can they come see the lounge? Can they accompany us to the concierge sundeck? If I reserve a Cabana on Castaway Cay that is on the Concierge beach there, can they use it with us?

I'll piggy back off this question. We are thinking of doing Concierge for my family in 2016 and other parts of the family (grandparents) are going to go.

My question has to do with the 'security' of concierge. Will our grandparents be able to visit our room or is there a bouncer at the elevator that won't let you past? Can they come see the lounge? Can they accompany us to the concierge sundeck? If I reserve a Cabana on Castaway Cay that is on the Concierge beach there, can they use it with us?

You are welcome to entertain anyone you wish in your personal concierge space (your cabin/suite). However, only concierge guests are welcome in the public concierge areas (lounge and sundeck).

As far as I'm aware, there is no "Concierge beach." There is a private beach for those who have rented cabanas. Each cabana is limited in number of people based on the size of the cabana. You can book up to that max number in your cabana regardless of which cabin they are staying in on the ship. Access to the cabanas is controlled by wrist bands that are delivered to cabins before Castaway day. Anyone wearing the wristband is welcome on the beach and in the designated cabana.

If the above was not clear enough:

Your friends or relatives can come to your cabin (yes on that).

No, they cannot come to the concierge lounge or sundeck unless they are staying in a concierge cabin.

They can come to your cabana IF you have paid the fee for them to get the wristband.

You are welcome to entertain anyone you wish in your personal concierge space (your cabin/suite). However' date=' only concierge guests are welcome in the public concierge areas (lounge and sundeck).

As far as I'm aware, there is no "Concierge beach." There is a private beach for those who have rented cabanas. Each cabana is limited in number of people based on the size of the cabana. You can book up to that max number in your cabana regardless of which cabin they are staying in on the ship. Access to the cabanas is controlled by wrist bands that are delivered to cabins before Castaway day. Anyone wearing the wristband is welcome on the beach and in the designated cabana.[/quote']

You're probably right about the beach, I really have no idea, just going off 2nd hand information.

Thank you for the reply that is helpful.

I'm assuming that they(grandparents in a standard room) would be able to reap some of the indirect benefits of us being in concierge such as being able to request a table with them in the restaurants near the interactive areas and be able to sit with them, get a Cabana with us since we're concierge, and can probably piggy back off our planning with the concierge staff.

We were working with a travel agent but if you go concierge it seems like the interaction with the travel agent when you have the concierge service seems a little redundant.

Edited by OUScotty

You're probably right about the beach, I really have no idea, just going off 2nd hand information.

Thank you for the reply that is helpful.

I'm assuming that they(grandparents in a standard room) would be able to reap some of the indirect benefits of us being in concierge such as being able to request a table with them in the restaurants near the interactive areas and be able to sit with them, get a Cabana with us since we're concierge, and can probably piggy back off our planning with the concierge staff.

We were working with a travel agent but if you go concierge it seems like the interaction with the travel agent when you have the concierge service seems a little redundant.

Yes, if you request it of the concierge, they will be seated at your dinner table, they can be booked in your cabana with you, and unofficially, the concierge will book them on any excursions or adult dining with you that you request (without waiting for their booking window to open. The shoreside will only book their stuff when they are going with you. If they decide on a different excursion in one port, they will need to book that on their own (no help from concierge).

As above your shoreside Concierge reps will be able to book a family beach cabana for you.

I believe the current price is $549 for the first 6 people, and $50 pp up to a maximum of 10, but those prices could possibly rise by 2016 as DCL have raised other prices recently.

ex techie

Yes' date=' if you request it of the concierge, they will be seated at your dinner table, they can be booked in your cabana with you, and unofficially, the concierge will book them on any excursions or adult dining with you that you request (without waiting for their booking window to open. The shoreside will only book their stuff when they are going with you. If they decide on a different excursion in one port, they will need to book that on their own (no help from concierge).[/quote']

Again thanks for the great info! We are also traveling with others not in concierge cabins and I was worried that we would not be able to sit with them or book the restaurant to include them. :)

Again thanks for the great info! We are also traveling with others not in concierge cabins and I was worried that we would not be able to sit with them or book the restaurant to include them. :)

Concierge will do almost anything to meet the needs of guests paying for that area including making arrangements for their friends/family to be with them. The limit on those services to friends ends when the concierge party is not involved or when it involves spaces restricted to concierge guests (example, they can't come to the concierge welcome reception or character meeting with you).

Yes, but none of those booking concerns would be something you needed to use the TA for anyway. Once it's PIF time and you're booking things, YOU are booking things. Get the reservation info from the other family members and you can have it connected to yours for dining purposes; on our first DCL cruise, normal CS could do that for us even knowing we had a TA. And all the excursions and dining etc were strictly between us and Disney, no TA needed. (even for non-concierge)

Changing rooms, changing dates...anything that's going to cause your cruise rate to change...those go through the TA.

True, but if you are paying for concierge, why not let shoreside concierge do the booking for you? They normally contact you about 125 days out--on line booking begins at 120 days. They can't book you at 125 days, but they can put it in their computer so with a single hit of a computer key at 120 days, you have all your reservations. That's as close to an assurance of a cabana as you can get.

TRUE, you can do all of this yourself, but why? You are paying for their services; take advantage of it.

And no, most of the time the TA does not get involved in this stuff. Yes, my TA booked my Palo for me when I was on another cruise at the time that the booking window opened...but that's not the norm.

Just to add, I also read on another post that the Magic & Wonder off free specialty coffees in Cove Cafe to make up for the lack of a conceirge lounge as well. Obviously when the new lounge comes in for the Magic I assume this perk will end but something to bare in mind

Just to add, I also read on another post that the Magic & Wonder off free specialty coffees in Cove Cafe to make up for the lack of a conceirge lounge as well. Obviously when the new lounge comes in for the Magic I assume this perk will end but something to bare in mind

I've read that too, but it was the word of one poster who has proven to be unreliable in the past. No personal experience with it. And as the lounge is due to be put in soon, I doubt that this perk will exist much longer on the Magic.

I've read that too' date=' but it was the word of one poster who has proven to be unreliable in the past. No personal experience with it. And as the lounge is due to be put in soon, I doubt that this perk will exist much longer on the Magic.[/quote']

I think I know the poster you mean.

I've read that too' date=' but it was the word of one poster who has proven to be unreliable in the past. No personal experience with it. And as the lounge is due to be put in soon, I doubt that this perk will exist much longer on the Magic.[/quote']

Just to say my source was off a different forum and three people had quoted this so not sure if that makes a difference or not but I agree it will stop once the lounge is built in the next 3 weeks.

Beaches at Castaway Cay: There is the Family Beach (anyone can enjoy) and then there is Serenity Bay (adult only beach). Also, the teens have an area (I don't think it is restricted, just kind of out of the way....I might be wrong).

The beach area at the Family Beach Cabanas I think is restricted to the use of the ones that rented the cabanas. The Serenity Bay Cabana area is not so restricted.

I think I read that the Concierge Team services the Cabanas......????

I will know for sure after our next cruise.....December 2016. :)

Beaches at Castaway Cay: There is the Family Beach (anyone can enjoy) and then there is Serenity Bay (adult only beach). Also, the teens have an area (I don't think it is restricted, just kind of out of the way....I might be wrong).

The beach area at the Family Beach Cabanas I think is restricted to the use of the ones that rented the cabanas. The Serenity Bay Cabana area is not so restricted.

I think I read that the Concierge Team services the Cabanas......????

I will know for sure after our next cruise.....December 2016. :)

The beach area around the cabanas is restricted to those renting the cabanas...mostly, at least. The access to the cabanas is strictly limited to those with cabana wrist bands. There is a team of cabana hosts, not limited to the concierge team. There are more needs from the cabana guests than from a typical concierge work load on the ship, so more people are needed However, everyone serving the cabanas is very well trained in customer service. You MIGHT get one of the concierge team serving your cabana, but you can just as easily have one of the other hosts.

The cabanas are stocked when you arrive. (towels, beverages, etc). More are available if needed. You can expect to be greeted by your host who will give you a quick "tour" of the cabana and tell you how things work. You will be shown the button to call the host should you need anything. The only thing they cannot do for you is to fetch your lunch and bring it to the cabana. YOU can get your lunch and choose to eat it there, but you have to carry it to the cabana yourself. Reason--long story, but basically it has to do with food safety.