Cruising the Nile?

bbbobbb

bbbobbb, how old are your children ? We did a Nile cruise once {without our children who were too young at that time} and I think it could be nice when your children are older than let's say 10 and interested in egyptian culture. When they're younger I guess it'll be difficult since the cruise is really port oriented and the ships in themselves are not like the big cruiseships at sea. There are no kids facilities on board, the pool is usually very small and there aren't a lot of other children to befriend. Don't want to disencourage you, when your kids are interested in pyramids, pharaos and stuff, it could be a great cruise !

We did a Nile cruise in 2001, and indeed there were no children aboard. It was as eurodolphin described: The pool was basically the size of a hot tub (but wasn't). The ship had no recreational activities -- most of the passengers spent all their time on the top deck watching the scenery (which was great -- don't get me wrong -- but children may not appreciate it as much).

We've got about 600 photos from our trip which included the cruise on my web site. Just follow the link in my profile.

Haven't gone thru all the pix yet...got about thru half of your Egypt pix...thanks very much for sharing...we are very excited about our upcoming...end of January...Egypt and the Nile trip and so I am always on the lookout for other travelers' comments, pix or reviews of their Egyptian trip. I have been fascinated by ancient Egyptian history for a very long time and the idea that I will actually get to see some of these places with my own eyes is pretty much a dream come true. So the hawkers are everywhere you go, huh? In general...did you feel safe venturing out a bit on your own? I've read in guide books that 'price haggling' is expected in most places...that is something I am not good at and really dislike...so did you feel that there are things that are a 'must buy'?

Thanks again...

luv2cruz450, it is true that people will try to sell you something all the time. The trick is don't say "no" to them but tell them : "maybe tomorrow", or "next time".

Although that would be a lie :o, they accept that a lot better and are not "offended" in the same way as when you just say "no". In general we found them somewhat persistent but never unfriendly or rude. I think it's perfectly safe to walk around on your own, we never felt uncomfortable doing that. If you don't like the "price haggling" try to go off on your own, a little further away from the tourist area. We did that in Luxor and entered a local "warehouse". Here prices are fixed {and very low!}, so no "haggling":) and there are virtually no tourists. We bought beautiful leather wallets, handbags,...there.

Enjoy your trip, it's a magical experience to visit all these "sacred" places. I'm sure you'll love it !

We stuck very close to our tour group, and a few of the larger guys (I was one of them back then) helped some of the younger women run the gauntlet, as the hawkers were targeting them specifically. I personally wouldn't consider going around Egypt on my own, at this point, as an American.

bicker, I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm from Belgium, so maybe that's different.

But then again, they can't see whether I'm american or european, right ? luv2cruz450, we felt safe all the time and it's really sad to think that people would be afraid to take a little walk by themselves:( , because that way you miss out on the authentic feel. Off course, by all means if you don't feel save, then stay with the group, but I really think you should check it out yourself first

I like to second eurodolphin in that it is nice and possible to explore on your own. I felt safe to be totally on my own in Assuan and in groups of three people or so even in the small villages along the Nile in the dark.

As for kids: On my cruise there were two children of maybe five and seven on board and they really enjoyed. There was no organized programme for them but they were fascinated by the culture (even maybe just by the size and the exotic) and the parents sometimes adjusted the programme to accomodate them. This means e.g if the explanations of the tour guide were too long for a child, one parent would walk around with the child in the temple, let him find some animal like looking hieroglyphics and guess what they mean and similiar things. Older children might wander around on there own.

What ever the age of your children is I guess it is much about spending the holidays together.

As far as feeling safe, I am American, and felt safe travelling with a friend (no tour group) in Cairo, Aswan, Luxor, and Siwa oasis. If I were you, I would try going out a bit on your own, see how it feels to you, and take it from there. I think you lose a lot if you are always with a group.

I would agree that at some of the tourist sites, the people trying to sell stuff are overly bothersome.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer...I'm almost sure that our trip will probably not have any children along since it's in January. We are traveling with Grand Circle and there is supposed to be some 'free' time here and there on the itinerary which is why I asked about how comfortable others felt in going out on their own a little. My husband and I had planned on going out a bit on our own...but just wanted to ask the opinion of those who've already been there. We will start in Cairo and be there for a few days of sightseeing before we do a sailing of 7 nights on the Nile and every day while on the Nile there are supposed to be stops at various small towns along the way. Also going on their 'optional' excursion to Abu Simbal plus all the others they offer except for the hot air balloon ride over the desert! Am attempting to learn a few phrases in Arabic...but I don't know if I have intonation or sound emphasis correct.

Anyway BBBoBBB...didn't mean to take the forum away from your original question.

Thanks again...and happy travels to you all!

Betty

Archived