Tallinn, Helsinki, Riga, Klaipeda, & Warnemunde Questions

I plan to cruise on the Oceania Marina in July 2016. I would like to know if the ship docks in the city (or a short walking distance of the city) or at a container port for the following cities:

Tallinn, Estonia

Helsinki, Finland

Riga, Latvia

Klaipeda, Lithuania

Warnemunde, Germany

Which of these cities are good for a "do it yourself" tour or which of these cities would be best seen paying for an excursion?

If you have any suggestions for excursions or guides in any of these cities that would also be appreciated.

At Warnemunde you can rent a car right across the street from the pier, and then it's autobahn (woo woo!). The downside is, finding locals who speak good English is harder once you leave Tourist Central. It's an...opportunity to learn some German.

For Helsinki it will most probably be West Harbour (a former container port) either at quay LHB, LHC or LMA.

While there are no technical problems to walk its a rather long way into town so most take a shuttle bus. Then Helsinki is easy to do yourself.

At Warnemunde you can rent a car right across the street from the pier, and then it's autobahn (woo woo!). The downside is, finding locals who speak good English is harder once you leave Tourist Central. It's an...opportunity to learn some German.
We learned before we sailed that instead of docking in Warnemunde, we would be docking at the cargo port at Rostock. Marina was docked with us - there were four ships that day, between Warnemunde and Rostock. This You Tube video filmed the day we docked will give you an idea of the difference in the port areas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_AYfBiwMXU. (And even if you're docked in Warnemunde it's still a neat video.:)) Our ship did run a shuttle between the port and Warnemunde, but the excursion we originally wanted to book wasn't available with the ship in Rostock.

Helsinki--There's no need to pay the exorbiant price that the cruise ship charges for their shuttle bus. Assuming you arrive at West Harbour (LMA), just follow the green line on the pavement out of the port area to the tram stop. A one-way tram ticket costs 2.5 euros if purchased from the machine or 3 euros if you purchase it from the driver. You can also purchase an all-day tram ticket for 8 euros which includes the ferry to Suomenlinna Island. (That's what we did).

The tram is #9 and if you are going to Market Square, then ride it to the stop called "Rautatieasema" at the main station. From there, it is about a 8 minute walk to Market Square.

You can also take the tram to the Rock Church ("Sammonkatu" stop on #2 tram) and the #2/#3 tram combo is a 1-hour circuit through the city which many use as a sightseeing "tour".

Here's a link from the Helsinki Tourism website showing the various tram routes. We found this map helpful and that using the tram was an easy and inexpensive way to get around town.

https://www.hsl.fi/en/timetables-and-routes/metro-and-tram-routes#tram-routes-and-stops

Also, I recommend you get a copy of Rick Steves "Northern European Cruise Ports" guide book from your local library or bookstore. It gives detailed information on how to use public transportation in the various Baltic ports and how to sightsee in them on your own. We just got back from a Baltic cruise that stopped in Helsinki, Tallinn and Warnemuende and we easily toured them all on our own.

Edited by GradUT

Helsinki--There's no need to pay the exorbiant price that the cruise ship charges for their shuttle bus. Assuming you arrive at West Harbour (LMA), just follow the green line on the pavement out of the port area to the tram stop. A one-way tram ticket costs 2.5 euros if purchased from the machine or 3 euros if you purchase it from the driver. You can also purchase an all-day tram ticket for 8 euros which includes the ferry to Suomenlinna Island. (That's what we did).

The tram is #9 and if you are going to Market Square, then ride it to the stop called "Rautatieasema" at the main station. From there, it is about a 8 minute walk to Market Square.

You can also take the tram to the Rock Church ("Sammonkatu" stop on #2 tram) and the #2/#3 tram combo is a 1-hour circuit through the city which many use as a sightseeing "tour".

Here's a link from the Helsinki Tourism website showing the various tram routes. We found this map helpful and that using the tram was an easy and inexpensive way to get around town.

https://www.hsl.fi/en/timetables-and-routes/metro-and-tram-routes#tram-routes-and-stops

Also, I recommend you get a copy of Rick Steves "Northern European Cruise Ports" guide book from your local library or bookstore. It gives detailed information on how to use public transportation in the various Baltic ports and how to sightsee in them on your own. We just got back from a Baltic cruise that stopped in Helsinki, Tallinn and Warnemuende and we easily toured them all on our own.

The OP is sailing on am Oceania ship, Marina. Oceania does not charge for its shuttles for rides of the type during Baltic cruises. There's the down side to shuttles that their schedule isn't infinitely flexible and the mill in at the pick up stop can be frustrating to those who think folks should line up. But the cost of the shuttle on Oceania is not a factor.

Another note: The Rick Steves' book you recommended is excellent but it has its limits. There is no section on Klaipeda. Now I happen to think Steves is right to ignore this port. It's a big nothing compared to the other destinations on a Baltic cruise. If I found myself there again, I'd either stay on the ship or I'd take the super long ship's excursion to the former Soviet missile site. If cruisers go there with very low expectations, they won't be disappointed.

Hello lithlith, I just returned from the Marina Baltic cruise for July 2015, probably the same one you are taking next year.

We did DIY for every one of the ports you mentioned except Warnemunde. In Helsinki the ship provided a shuttle right to the Market Square, but it would have also been just as easy to catch Tram 9 into town. We took the shuttle in and caught the Tram back to the ship.

For Tallinn there was also a free shuttle into town or it would have been about a 10-15 walk depending on how fast you walk.

For Riga we were docked a fair ways from the city, I don't think that we were originally supposed to be, but because of timing we were farther out. Again Oceania provided a free shuttle that took approximately 30 minutes in and 30 minutes back to the ship.

For the Klaipeda the ship was docked very close and it was only a short walk into town.

Warnemunde was similar and it was a short walk to town. For Warnemunde it really depends on what you are interested in. This is the stop where many go into Berlin. Others we spoke to went into Rostock and wandered around Warnemunde. We choose to tour with a company called Friends of Dave. The tour took us to a very quaint and well preserved town called Wismar and then onto a town called Schwerin. I thorough enjoyed both towns and the guide that we had.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with as it is still very fresh in my mind :)

We choose to tour with a company called Friends of Dave. The tour took us to a very quaint and well preserved town called Wismar and then onto a town called Schwerin. I thorough enjoyed both towns and the guide that we had.

This is what we did self-guided, and because we rented a car we got to get to those places via the autobahn.

Did I mention we got to drive the autobahn?

We got to drive the autobahn. In a new 2015, German car.

In Riga cruise ships usually are docking very close to Old Town. If you check in a map, then ships dock right before the first bridge over river Daugava (looking from sea side, of course), parallel to Eksporta street. It is 7-10 minutes walk to Old Town.

Riga is definitely "do it yourself" port. Everything first time visitor would like to see is within 20-30 min walk from the port.

Must see in RIGA OLD TOWN:

Blackheads building (Melngalvju nams)

Saint Peters church (Use the opportunity to take an elevator up in the tower)

Doma square (and Doma church) – biggest square in Old Town

Livu square (Līvu laukums) – has many beautiful buildings and outdoor cafes

Powder tower (Pulvertornis) and Jacobs barracks (Jēkaba kazarmas), which is the longest building in Riga

Must see in Riga center:

Riga Central market (Rīgas Centrāltirgus) – absolute must! One of the biggest markets in Europe. Market is also the place, where to look for cheaper souvenirs than in Old Town tourist shops.

Freedom monument (Brīvības piemineklis)

Opera house (can be seen from Freedom monument)

Alberta street, Strēlnieku street and Elizabetes street for Art Nouveau buildings.

Let me know if you need more tips about Riga!