Jost van Dyke TT14 vs. TT65

squirk

Trying to figure out the differences between these two excursions. Would greatly appreciate feedback from anyone in the know.

TT14 (Beach Transfer) is 4 hrs vs. TT65's (Beach Day) 6.5-7 hrs. TT14 is $83 vs. TT65's $114. TT14 does not include lunch; TT65 does.

So, for TT65's $31 premium, you apparently get more time at the beach and you get fed.

My questions are:

1.) Approximately how much beach time do you get with TT14?

2.) Do you really get a full 2.5-3 hrs _more_ beach time with TT65?

3.) Is the TT65 lunch any great shakes, or can you do just as well getting food on your own in White Bay? Or alternately, is TT14 a better deal that gets you back to the ship in time to grab a late lunch at Cabanas?

Please and thank you!

Have you looked at private vendor transfers? You have correctly listed the differences between the two. Yes, you really get a couple hours more beach time with the longer one...and lunch. Is lunch worth $30? Not in my opinion, but if I were very hungry at the beach, I guess I might pay that to feed my kid...not myself though! Not sure you'll be back in time for Cabanas, but there is food from room service and the fast food outlets on board. ''Seriously though, I'd look at what a transfer would cost thru one of the standard vendors. DCL uses a vendor and then adds to the cost. You can typically save anywhere from a few dollars to 1/2 of the cost by doing it on your own (depends on the island and the excursion). You can often get better/more flexible times as well.

Thanks!

Oddly enough, my TA called DCL today, and the cast member told her that it's the same amount of beach time for each version, and that the extra 2.5-3.0 hours was set aside specifically for the lunch. That must be one hell of a lunch.

I did research on making my own way with private vendors, and there was a significant savings of $54PP over the TT65. Only about a $20pp savings for the TT14.

While we have been to White Bay before, we have never navigated our own way there from Road Town. With that in mind, the $20 premium for TT14 might be worth the piece of mind this time. Once we experience it, we would probably feel more comfortable doing it ourselves the next time around.

We've had some disappointing DCL excursions (not specifically this one) where lunch became a big deal. One in France comes to mind where we were rushed thru a museum in a little over an hour (could have spent all day there!), then driven to a country club type place for a 2 hour lunch, then visited each of the D-Day beaches. I don't mean to be rude, but after about 2 beaches, the others don't really add anything. I would have greatly preferred a shorter lunch and/or elimination of one or more of the beach stops for more time at the memorial museum!

I've only done one shore excursion ever. It was through DCL, and it was to Orient Bay in St. Martin. It was OK. I appreciated everything being taken care of for me, but I didn't care for the feeling of being herded along with 400 of my best friends. In all, I much prefer doing it myself, but only once I have the lay of the land.

So, yeah, I am worried I will pay the $31 extra bucks for not much more beach time and a super-long lunch that is merely passable in quality. I know $31 isn't a lot by itself, but multiplied by six, and that's $186 dollars that could be well-spent elsewhere.

We did the short excursion to White Bay and the boat crew offered to stay longer if the group wanted. No lunch included though. We were essentially the only people there, no other commercial boat arrived in the 2.5 - 3 hours we visited. A few small private boats did bring a dozen or so people. I doubt you could interest a charter unless you had a fairly good sized group. The Disney excursion had about 60 people aboard.

We met early, 7:30, on the ship, arrived on Jost Van Dyke around 9:00 and were back in time for lunch aboard the Fantasy. It took about 45 minutes to get there. The beach is nice, the water is clear and calm. You are asked to stay in a confined, netted, area. Beach chairs were available.

We did the short excursion to White Bay and the boat crew offered to stay longer if the group wanted. No lunch included though. We were essentially the only people there, no other commercial boat arrived in the 2.5 - 3 hours we visited. A few small private boats did bring a dozen or so people. I doubt you could interest a charter unless you had a fairly good sized group. The Disney excursion had about 60 people aboard.We met early, 7:30, on the ship, arrived on Jost Van Dyke around 9:00 and were back in time for lunch aboard the Fantasy. It took about 45 minutes to get there.

Thanks. I'd have to guess that it's very rare for everyone on the excursion to agree to stay an extra few hours. All you need is one person objecting, and I'd think the deal is off the table.

Did you find the 2.5-3.0 hours enough for you?