1st timer on P&O - Oriana - 4 day

scungileen

Hello everyone. I am an American and this is my first time on P&O. I have sailed on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess and MSC. With that said, I have a few questions as the website isn't very forthcoming and I have to make a long distance call every time I have a question (no travel agent). In any event - 1) on a four night cruise is there a formal night and is it usually the second night? 2) if I see the prices are lower than when I booked, can I upgrade my room? 3) Is tipping deducted from my credit card at the end? I see there is a drink package you can pre-order, how about when you board? What is the entertainment like?

Anyone with some answers would be most appreciated.

Hi scungileen

P&O Prices change, some go up and some go down. We have seen prices double in the past, we have also seen them half. You were happy with the price you paid when you paid it....

You might get a visit from the Upgrade Fairy but P&O don't usually upgrade just because the price has changed.

On a 4 night Oriana cruise you will probably have:

1 Formal

1 Smart Jacket

2 Casual

The dress codes can be found at:

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/search?nlpq=dress code

Tips are charged to your on board account at £5 per person per day. You can remove tips at reception if you wish to tip personally. We find it better value to leave the auto tip on.

There is no service charge added to drinks and other services*, it's all included in the price you pay.

* I think the Spa add their tips to the bill.

The Wine / soft drinks / Coffee packages are available on board or in advance. If you have OBC you can use that to get the packages when on board.

Have a fab cruise. We love Oriana.

Hello everyone. I am an American and this is my first time on P&O. I have sailed on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess and MSC. With that said, I have a few questions as the website isn't very forthcoming and I have to make a long distance call every time I have a question (no travel agent). In any event - 1) on a four night cruise is there a formal night and is it usually the second night? 2) if I see the prices are lower than when I booked, can I upgrade my room? 3) Is tipping deducted from my credit card at the end? I see there is a drink package you can pre-order, how about when you board? What is the entertainment like?

The dress code is much stricter on P&O compared with American lines so formal night requires a jacket for men in order to eat in the main dining room. I saw a chap in a bow tie and snazzy waist coat who was asked to go and get his jacket while they seated his wife.

We have a four day cruise booked on Ventura which has one formal and three casual. You will find this information in your cruise personaliser. Not much possibility of upgrading your room after a price drop, P&O have fluid prices so they will go up and down. The service charge will be added daily to your account and your bill will be settled automatically with a registered credit card.

P&O don't really do drinks packages (their packages are for specific numbers of drinks not unlimited) so you pay as you go is a better option. The price of drinks will appear quite cheap compared to Celebrity. You can buy a bottle one night and if you don't finish it (or don't finish the second ;)) they will keep it for your for the following meal wherever that may be. Cabins are usually ready when you board so drop off your hand luggage and then head for the buffet.

Entertainment is not as good during the day but the shows in the theatre tend to be good quality. During the day there will be quizzes, shuffleboard, quoits and table tennis competitions as well as the usual port talks. Less culinary events than Celebrity, not the Piazza entertainment you get on Princess.

Advantages however include:

Free shuttle buses

Afternoon tea, free every day in one of the main dining rooms

No service on drinks

Complementary room service (although some items have a charge)

Tea and coffee making facilities in the cabin.

Main dining room is open everyday for lunch whether at sea or in port.

Edited by Jo and Rob

1) Probably one night, probably a sea day.

2) No, prices vary, they do for the others as well.

3) I think it is credited every day (some P&O boats have a live total on an interactive TV)

4) Unless you drink an awful lot it's not really necessary. P&O charge UK pub prices, and you can bring what you like on board if you like sitting on a balcony with a drink (you just can't take them into the restaurants, or you can but they charge corkage)

5) The entertainment is very British - most of your shipmates will be British.

P&O dont follow the 'American' system where you can request an upgrade or refund if the price falls. They have two fare systems, full and saver, prices fluctuate a lot and you pay whatever it happens to be when you book. If the price then falls, sorry but too bad. :eek:

Thats not to say you WONT be upgraded, if you paid the full unrestricted fare (the type where you get to pick your cabin number and dining time) you will be eligible for a upgrade if any are available. This can happen any time up to check in.

As to the entertainment, the British theme seems to be more on the daytime activities like the quizzes. The production shows tend to be Broadway style so you'll find them more familiar.

Oh, and dont miss the Great British Sailway if you want a more genuine impression of us Brits then you get on Cunard! :D

1 The formal night is never the first night, often the second night and may also be called the captain's dinner or something like that.

2 As has been previously mentioned about upgrades; these sometimes just happen and you get moved to a higher grade cabin, more often than not a similar cabin elsewhere. They sometimes upsell but it may be difficult to contact you unless they do this by email. You can always upgrade but it costs; usually a £100 booking amendment fee plus the cabin costs. In the UK we book at a price and that is set in stone sometimes you lose out because the only other option is a new booking with old booking cancelled with lost deposit.

3 Auto tips are cheaper in the UK because of our culture, £5 per day per person of 12 years of age or older. Children under this age no tips levied.

Entertainment is sometimes a bit British based but you should enjoy it even if they have some humour that rely on local knowledge.

Regards John

Edited by john watson