Mi Casa Su Casa Excursion Progresso

swscruiser

Short Review of the Carnival Excursion In Progresso.

This is a 5 hour tour that includes 30 minutes travel time to and from the Casa, cost is $99.00 adult $89..00pp for kids.

The Casa is a Beach House owned by a couple from Mexico and they are there to welcome you and the entire stay to answer any questions you may have. There son is the Chef for the buffet. The Buffet consisted of 6 items plus chips pico de callo and quacamole. The description makes you think you can enteract with the chef and the bartenders to make within reason what you would like. We took this to mean tweaking spices to your particular taste. This was not the case. the only tweaking for the food was adding Franks hot sauce. When I asked for a gin and tonic (after the Margarita I had was undrinkable, the Strawberry Daiquari my wife ordered was also undrinkable) they said they did not have Gin nor Tonic. After talking with tour Guide Adam (who was GREAT and the only redeeming part of the entire tour) he went to the bar and brought me a gin on the rocks still no Tonic but at least they actually had Gin.

This tour can handle up to 45 people, there were only 20 on our tour. There are only 8 lounge chairs around the 2 pools (approx 10X20 each) and there are about 30 loungers on the beach, and like the rest of the beaches in Progresso they are covered in seaweed and not worth trying to get into the water. There are several plasitc chairs and tables and 2 Rattan Table and Chairs with umbrellas around the property as well as several hammocks.

This tour would have been ok at about $30.00pp but and $99.00pp it is way over for the quality received.

Any questions I would be happy to answer them.

Keith

We have this booked for next month and while finding reviews are difficult the ones I have found have been good. The seaweed does a&e me nervous but I am happy with a pool. Also, was the food good? What did they serve? I eat spicy things so I can handle true Mexican fare (since I am Mexican). Also, were the drinks too strong and that's why you say un drinkable or just not a quality drink? I appreciate your review because, yes, this is a pricey excursion. Somehow, when checking out online we got it for $75pp so I do feel better about that.

Short Review of the Carnival Excursion In Progresso.

This is a 5 hour tour that includes 30 minutes travel time to and from the Casa, cost is $99.00 adult $89..00pp for kids.

The Casa is a Beach House owned by a couple from Mexico and they are there to welcome you and the entire stay to answer any questions you may have. There son is the Chef for the buffet. The Buffet consisted of 6 items plus chips pico de callo and quacamole. The description makes you think you can enteract with the chef and the bartenders to make within reason what you would like. We took this to mean tweaking spices to your particular taste. This was not the case. the only tweaking for the food was adding Franks hot sauce. When I asked for a gin and tonic (after the Margarita I had was undrinkable, the Strawberry Daiquari my wife ordered was also undrinkable) they said they did not have Gin nor Tonic. After talking with tour Guide Adam (who was GREAT and the only redeeming part of the entire tour) he went to the bar and brought me a gin on the rocks still no Tonic but at least they actually had Gin.

This tour can handle up to 45 people, there were only 20 on our tour. There are only 8 lounge chairs around the 2 pools (approx 10X20 each) and there are about 30 loungers on the beach, and like the rest of the beaches in Progresso they are covered in seaweed and not worth trying to get into the water. There are several plasitc chairs and tables and 2 Rattan Table and Chairs with umbrellas around the property as well as several hammocks.

This tour would have been ok at about $30.00pp but and $99.00pp it is way over for the quality received.

Any questions I would be happy to answer them.

Keith

Thanks for sharing your experience, Keith.

It sounds like Carnival has attempted to reproduce in Progreso the La Casa En La Playa tour they have available in Cozumel. Progreso has had terrible reviews from passengers for years due to the lack of things to do in this small town (with an ugly industrial port). I recently read Carnival was exploring options to improve that in Progreso. It sounds like this attempt may have fallen short. Hopefully things will improve, but it sounds like Progreso remains as one of those ports where it is best to stay on the ship.

http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2015/09/carnival-cruise-line-seeks-a-mexican-partner-to-provide-visitors-an-authentic-experience-in-progreso/

http://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/cozumel-mexico/la-casa-en-la-playa-a-select-retreat-304169

The Yucatan peninsula, where Progreso is located, certainly has interesting sights. There are ruins, cenotes(freshwater swimming holes) flamingo nesting grounds, etc.

Sorry that your visit to this home was not up to par. It does sound like an expensive way to spend a day at someone's home! I hope you told Carnival that you weren't happy with this excursion! I wouldn't expect that food can be specifically tailored to your needs in this sort of setting but I would have expected that drinks would be made well!

We have this booked for next month and while finding reviews are difficult the ones I have found have been good. The seaweed does a&e me nervous but I am happy with a pool. Also, was the food good? What did they serve? I eat spicy things so I can handle true Mexican fare (since I am Mexican). Also, were the drinks too strong and that's why you say un drinkable or just not a quality drink? I appreciate your review because, yes, this is a pricey excursion. Somehow, when checking out online we got it for $75pp so I do feel better about that.

The food was not very good and lacked any kind of flavor let alone spice. The drinks were not too strong, just very poor quality, I watched them make a rum and coke and there was probably less than a shot of rum in a 8 oz glass.

The seaweed is a problem on all beaches we have been to in the Progresso area. I believe they are not allowed to clear the seaweed for ecological reasons.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Keith.

It sounds like Carnival has attempted to reproduce in Progreso the La Casa En La Playa tour they have available in Cozumel. Progreso has had terrible reviews from passengers for years due to the lack of things to do in this small town (with an ugly industrial port). I recently read Carnival was exploring options to improve that in Progreso. It sounds like this attempt may have fallen short. Hopefully things will improve, but it sounds like Progreso remains as one of those ports where it is best to stay on the ship.

http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2015/09/carnival-cruise-line-seeks-a-mexican-partner-to-provide-visitors-an-authentic-experience-in-progreso/

http://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/cozumel-mexico/la-casa-en-la-playa-a-select-retreat-304169

I would agree with assessment and why we tried this tour.

Foods served

Tortilla Chips

Pico de galo-way too much lime and I like Lime

Quacamole did not try not a quac fan

Black Bean dip ok

Cheese enchaladas- nothing available to add to these

Impenadas tasteless

Chicken fajitas way to bland and again nothing to add to these ie cheese, lettuce, tomato, salsas

BBQ Ribs non descript sauce

Edited by swscruiser
more info