Currency for Muscat

maddy_o

Hi, we are calling here for one day and have the Mystical Muscat tour booked with MSC.

As we will have this prepaid, I was just wondering is there an ATM in the port or somewhere near? I am unsure how much Rials to bring as I don't think we will need that much money as we don't plan on doing much shopping?

Any advice appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were in Muscat a couple of years ago and the vendors in the souk accepted USD as well as rials.

I didn't obtain any local currency because as it turned out I had no need as I paid for everything in USD. I think there was an ATM outside the souk but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Perhaps someone else has a better memory than me :D

We were in Muscat a couple of years ago and the vendors in the souk accepted USD as well as rials.

I didn't obtain any local currency because as it turned out I had no need as I paid for everything in USD. I think there was an ATM outside the souk but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Perhaps someone else has a better memory than me :D

You can use USD and Euro in the Souk. Make sure you negotiate for anything you want. The stalls sell a lot of the same things, so walk through and buy on your way back at the best price. You will love Muscat for its beauty.

Enjoy

Dave

There are ATMs by the entrance to the Souqu. (nearby, along the front of the building).

Usually a money changer stall is open there as wel.

The merchants are happy to take your UAE Dirham! This is a very normal transaction, as a lot of folks come over from Dubai, AUH and such. Exchange rate is 10 AED = 1 OMR.

This is A LOT better than using USD / EUR!

The bigger shops also take credit cards if you buy stuff for more than a few bucks worth.

And one word of advise; don't even THINK of goin in the souqu with a cruise line sticker on you! You pay sucker surcharge!

If the subject comes up, you are visiting your son/daughter/mother/lawyer who is working for Oman Air or the British School! :-)

There are ATMs by the entrance to the Souqu. (nearby, along the front of the building).

Usually a money changer stall is open there as wel.

The merchants are happy to take your UAE Dirham! This is a very normal transaction, as a lot of folks come over from Dubai, AUH and such. Exchange rate is 10 AED = 1 OMR.

This is A LOT better than using USD / EUR!

The bigger shops also take credit cards if you buy stuff for more than a few bucks worth.

And one word of advise; don't even THINK of goin in the souqu with a cruise line sticker on you! You pay sucker surcharge!

If the subject comes up, you are visiting your son/daughter/mother/lawyer who is working for Oman Air or the British School! :-)

I knew about using AED or credit cards in the Muscat souq having been there before but your advice about removing the sticker is a good one. Probably the extra percentage gets divided between the merchant and the guides.

I was in Muscat in November. We were on a tour (privately arranged with CC friends). The price agreed to was in USD. When it came time to pay, the tourguide stated that he would only take bills 2010 or newer. We stood around trading bills till our group of 8 had what they needed. Just FYI!!

Hi,

Just got back from Muscat, and like the others said, the vendors in the souq will accept US Dollars. I did take some Rials, which I think did fluster them a bit but by no means is it essential, you certainly don't need that much, unless you're looking to buy a lot.

The Mutrah Souq along the front of the bay was amazing, lots of little alleyways, and yeah, walk through and around then do the buying on the way back..

ScroZuk