Splendida: Tell me everything!

SunnydayKim

Kim,

One other point to remember. This is a port intensive cruise. Our family was off the ship every day on an excursion for the entire day. On many excursions you walk considerable distances. When we got back to the ship we were really tired. Just something to keep in mind (especially since your son is only 6).

Paul

Hi Kim,

Our family just got off the Splendida 3 days ago so I think I can answer some questions.

1. Menus are in several languages, including English. Also, all MSC employees speak English so getting questions answered will be easy. MSC knows what language you speak so your daily planner that you receive in your cabin in the evening from the cabin attendant will also be the English version.

2. There is plenty to pick from at the buffet for breakfast and lunch. At breakfast they have the usual staples of scrambled eggs and fried eggs, toast, pancakes and french toast. However, be aware, MSC dos NOT have maple syrup for pancakes or the french toast. They have flavored syrups (blueberry, raspberry and chocolate) but no maple syrup. If you son needs the syrup then pack some of you own. Also, no half and half or cream for your coffee. At lunch they have hamburgers, pizza, hot dogs and fries. There is also a child's menu at dinner.

3. On our cruise the indoor pool was packed with kids. The outdoor pool was empty.

4. Regarding packages make sure you order them before you leave. Especially the photo package. It is a terrific deal. I had 3 soda ticket packages for my sons, a cocktail package of 12 mixed drinks and a 6 bottle of wine package for dinner. It is definitely best to get the packages before you go. They are more expensive once you buy them on the ship. The tickets are good for anyone as they are generic tickets. Because your son is a minor you can get him a child's package different from what you and your husband get.

5. The storage in the cabins is tight. Not as much as other cruise lines. The best advise I can give is to pack smart. There is a tendency to over pack so keep in mind that space is limited.

Enjoy your cruise. We had a terrific time on MSC.

Paul

Thanks so much for this. Very informative!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival is the only cruise line we have been on. Does the Splendida have self-service drink stations by the buffet like carnival does? We tend to drink a lot of water or tea during the day. Do they have it readily available or should we expect to get a drink package to get it from a bar?

Hi Paul;

Saw you post to "Kim": having a hard time getting around CruiseCrit web site: can yhou tell me house to find the Forum for my MSC cruise leaving Barcel. on March 3rd, ship is Splendida>

Thanks, Richarde( cruiserre)

Richard,

On the main menu go to roll calls and pick MSC. There is a March 3rd roll call for your cruise.

Paul

Hi Kim,

So you are on MSC Splendida 7 nights in Mediterranean - ours is March 3-10: have lined up 2 great small group excursions: day trip to Sicilian hill country and tour of Corleone, the other is from Marseilles, trip to Arles and Aix en Provence: wanted to put together a small group tour in Rome but had a hard time getting through to others on our cruise so I signed up one of the Rome trip with the cruise line- still looking for a small group tour from Genoa- if you are going to stop for a few days in Barcelona, local tours fill up fast- you have a better chance to tour La Familia Sagrada Vathedral if you order tickets on the net before you get there.

Regards,

Richard(cruiserre)