Just back from Istanbul to Athens

Deebs2

We had a great trip. We travelled with a 12 and 14 year old and they had a great time. We were afraid there wouldn't be any kids, but there were plenty. Deck party was a blast, candles was amazing, dining room food was overall pretty good. Sports deck was only open on Bodrum day.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Were you on the cruise during the attacks on the U.S. embassy in Istanbul? Did the crew have any scuttlebutt on Windstar's position if this sort of thing continues/escalates?

Edited by avalong

I hired private guides for Ephesus, Rhodes and Athens before we left. We met people who took ship tours of Ephesus, Delos and the gullet boat ride in Bodrum and they were very happy.

My suggestions - we toured Ephesus the morning, but the heat was brutal. When we were at the Ephesus dinner,we realized we should have gone to Ephesus in the evening before the dinner to avoid the heat, crowds and also only having to schlep there once.

Rhodes - go to Lindos! Spectacular

Santorini - the only reason to do a ship tour here is to avoid the cable car/ donkey ride. If you just want to Oia, there is a 10 minute boat ride in which you avoid the cable car.....do this!

Were you on the cruise during the attacks on the U.S. embassy in Istanbul? Did the crew have any scuttlebutt on Windstar's position if this sort of thing continues/escalates?

At this point, I'd be surprised. As tragic as it is, this sort of thing happens all over the world and generally isolated events. Sort of like telling a tourist to avoid Chicago since there are dozens of shootings every summer weekend - none of which are in areas tourists will ever go.

It was weird, however, when I came through US immigration (in Montreal) from a business trip to London and was thoroughly quizzed about the Turkish stamp in my passport. There must be alerts.

I hired private guides for Ephesus, Rhodes and Athens before we left. We met people who took ship tours of Ephesus, Delos and the gullet boat ride in Bodrum and they were very happy.

My suggestions - we toured Ephesus the morning, but the heat was brutal. When we were at the Ephesus dinner,we realized we should have gone to Ephesus in the evening before the dinner to avoid the heat, crowds and also only having to schlep there once.

Rhodes - go to Lindos! Spectacular

Santorini - the only reason to do a ship tour here is to avoid the cable car/ donkey ride. If you just want to Oia, there is a 10 minute boat ride in which you avoid the cable car.....do this!

Hmmm.... we have a private guide for Ephesus scheduled first thing in the morning. You make a good point. On the other hand, we'll be there in very late September. I wonder if it will be as hot. Much to ponder.

We have twin brains! I already booked the boat ride excursion in order to avoid the cable car line. There are many ships in Santorini the day we are there, so thought this might be a good idea. Thanks for confirming this!

Just this very day my siser-in-law also told us to go to Lindos. Must mean we're supposed to go there.

Thanks so much for the info.

At this point, I'd be surprised. As tragic as it is, this sort of thing happens all over the world and generally isolated events. Sort of like telling a tourist to avoid Chicago since there are dozens of shootings every summer weekend - none of which are in areas tourists will ever go.

It was weird, however, when I came through US immigration (in Montreal) from a business trip to London and was thoroughly quizzed about the Turkish stamp in my passport. There must be alerts.

Intellectually, I know you're right, of course. Thanks for the dose of level-headedness.

Intellectually, I know you're right, of course. Thanks for the dose of level-headedness.

I guarantee that right now the trams are up and running, tourists from around the world are queuing at the historic sites and that tonight the sidewalk bars and cafes will be full of people. Horrible things happen, but if we let it affect us they've won.