Onboard Star Breeze in Costa Rica and Panama

Erica@cruisecritic

Yes, I had a fabulous time -- thanks for asking. I have to pinch myself that I'm so lucky to get to cruise for business travel. The major downside is having to leave beautiful places like Isla de Coiba early to get back on the ship and work.

Jeff -- The use of zodiacs shouldn't prevent you from taking private tours. In Quepos, a private guide could easily meet you at or near the pier. In Bahia Drake, they could pick you up at the little town that's a short walk away or maybe even send a launch over to the pier. Golfo Dulce also has a road and a town where a guide could get in. People on our cruise definitely planned private excursions.

The only thing you shouldn't arrange is for a guide to pick you up via boat at the ship. A group on our tour tried to do that, and you should have seen the staff freak out. And you might want to pick a meeting time that's a tad later than arrival, in case there are a lot of tours leaving at once (we experienced this in Balboa). However, the staff were accommodating of people on private tours and did their best to get them off the ship. In most places, they ran two zodiacs simultaneously and the crossing to land was very quick.