Shore excursion policy question

ptiprof

We are experienced cruisers--first time with Windstar. We are booked on the Spanish Serenade Barcelona-Lisbon next October/November. We rarely do cruise shore excursions, but there is one I would like to reserve. The website, however, is frustrating; it appears that we must pay when we reserve, and I can't find the cancellation policy anywhere. If you can't go/change your mind, etc. can you get your money refunded? If so, is the money refunded to your shipboard account or your credit card? And if so, how far before the excursion is the deadline?

We have also booked two Crystal cruises over the next 18 months (first time with them as well). No advance payment is required for shore excursions, and their website is easy, intuitive, and informative.

Many thanks

We are on the Wind Surf starting Saturday. I called a couple of weeks ago and was told as long as I canceled a shore excursion 24 hours in advance I would get a refund. I thought he said back to my credit card but to be honest I'm not really sure now that you ask. I would call and ask.

I also had a shore excursion I wanted and called about it. Yes, you have to pay up front. Yes it is cancellable. No, I did not ask about timing or how it is refunded.

According to the gentleman I spoke with, about 95% of their excursions are NOT sold out. On board there is a port lecturer and can make a decision to book an excursion or not after hearing the lecturer.

However, did say that if there was something very important to me, I should book it now.

BTW, IMO you don't have to book the shore excursion this far ahead. We booked it after final payment

We have canceled shore excursions while on a Windstar cruise and they put the credit on your shipboard account. It just offsets and other expenses charged to your shipboard account.

The excursion we paid for is quite a pricey one. I have to admit if I cancelled it I would want it to go back to my credit card.

Do you know if your onboard account has a credit at the end how it gets refunded?

Thank you all for your help. Normally I wouldn't book an excursion this far in advance, but it's a horseback riding trip in Malaga, and having researched the facility (looks wonderful!), I am guessing that the excursion would be capacity controlled/small group. It's not that expensive, so I'll go ahead and book it. As long as I can cancel if my knee isn't up to the challenge, I'll pack my riding boots and go for it. :D

Windstar isn't the only cruise line that requests payment up front. We are booked on an Alaska cruise with Holland America this summer and they want payment up front, even for reservations in the 'speciality' restaurants.

And Alaska excursions are very expensive....