Real *ROCK AND ROLLING* AT Sea!

Tonka's Skipper

A few years ago we were on a Med cruise at the same time as that ship that was hit by a huge wave and a lounge window was broken. Talk about rocking and rolling all night. We were in the owner's suite up top, and the waves were breaking right on our deck. They sounded like sonic booms. It was impossible to stand. Gave us a healthy respect for our NCL's captain's abilities.

A few years ago we were on a Med cruise at the same time as that ship that was hit by a huge wave and a lounge window was broken. Talk about rocking and rolling all night. We were in the owner's suite up top, and the waves were breaking right on our deck. They sounded like sonic booms. It was impossible to stand. Gave us a healthy respect for our NCL's captain's abilities.

Wow....I've been on a ship that was avoiding a hurricane and never saw anything like waves 11 stories high. That must have been some night. On DCL, the windows are virtually unbreakable plexiglass. I would have thought that was standard for all ships, but obviously not per your post.

We were on the Dream two weeks ago. Coming into Nassau, cross currents or something hit the Dream and we really took a big roll. I was on the Art of the Theme tour and glanced out the window. One moment we were looking at Nassau and the next we were looking at nothing but water

we cruised during hurricane sandy and we did some amazing rocking and rolling..

i was more than sure the ship was going to go right on over...

in fact, it freaked me out so much, i won't go on any of those tall skinny ships again...

i'm sticking to the ones with lower profiles and less sail effect..

as for that container ship..i wonder if they lost any containers over the side!

Edited by alaska_planner

we cruised during hurricane sandy and we did some amazing rocking and rolling..

i was more than sure the ship was going to go right on over...

in fact, it freaked me out so much, i won't go on any of those tall skinny ships again...

i'm sticking to the ones with lower profiles and less sail effect..

as for that container ship..i wonder if they lost any containers over the side!

To the best of my knowledge, they didn't loss any containers. However losing containers or having seas beat them in, is not a very unusual event on container ships, especially small ones.

The cruise ships rarely ever roll close to 15 degrees or so. The Ship in the video was over 40.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

On the eastbound Transatlantic on the Magic this past May, we were in some moderately nasty seas for a few days between Nova Scotia and Ireland. At dinner one night in Lumiere's, we were rolling side-to-side fairly steeply. Our head waiter came to our table and asked if we had ordered cheesecake for dessert; we hadn't. He said "That's a good thing, because a huge tray of cheesecake just slid off the counter and landed upside down on the floor." :eek:

Shortly after that, the ship rolled to starboard enough that all we could see out the big portholes was water. As it corrected, it rolled to port almost as much, and was enough to send a pile of dishes onto the deck, shattering quite a few of them. After that one big rolling session, the ship pretty much settled down to relatively mild rocking and rolling.

To the best of my knowledge' date=' they didn't loss any containers. However losing containers or having seas beat them in, is not a very unusual event on container ships, especially small ones.

The cruise ships rarely ever roll close to 15 degrees or so. The Ship in the video was over 40.

AKK[/quote']

Looks like a fun rollercoaster ride! :D

ex techie

To the best of my knowledge' date=' they didn't loss any containers. However losing containers or having seas beat them in, is not a very unusual event on container ships, especially small ones.

AKK[/quote']

i still will never go on one of those tall skinny ships again (like the dream/fantasy/liberty/freedom/etc)

the only tall ships i'll go on are the ones that are really wide (e.g. allure) so it seems to stabilize them vis a vis that sail effect height..

at least that's how it felt to me..

i'll stick to the lower profile ships... as long as they're still around...

nicest ship i every sailed on was the original queen mary....back in 1963...now that was a ship that could cross the ocean! even on bad seas in the dead of winter...she was long and low and magnificent....(and i remember everything about those two voyages though i was only 7 years old)..

Edited by alaska_planner

The Queen Mary was arguably the finest liner ever built. I signed off the S/S Texaco Mississippi in LA in 75' and spent a week on board her. A good deal of that 1 week vacation, was spent just walking around her. Most of those original *OCEAN LINERS*, were built in a similar way and rode about the same. A story I found on board the Queen Mary, goes she was once hit by a massive rogue wave in the North Atlantic and rolled up 30 degrees, the wave smashed over the bow and crushed/collapsed part of the fore deck up to 10'. The Posiden Adventure is supposed to have based on this event.

I would love to have had the United States put back in service, alas it seem that is not to be.

PS. I would not put much faith in the Oasis or Allure as far as stability goes and rolling. All all the new cruise ships ride about the same way in extreme weather, that is one reason they all try to avoid extreme storms.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

The Queen Mary was arguably the finest liner ever built. I signed off the S/S Texaco Mississippi in LA in 75' and spent a week on board her. A good deal of that 1 week vacation' date=' was spent just walking around her. Most of those original *OCEAN LINERS*, were built in a similar way and rode about the same. A story I found on board the Queen Mary, goes she was once hit by a massive rogue wave in the North Atlantic and rolled up 30 degrees, the wave smashed over the bow and crushed/collapsed part of the fore deck up to 10'. The Posiden Adventure is supposed to have based on this event.

I would love to have had the United States put back in service, alas it seem that is not to be.

PS. I would not put much faith in the Oasis or Allure as far as stability goes and rolling. All all the new cruise ships ride about the same way in extreme weather, that is one reason they all try to avoid extreme storms.

AKK[/quote']

right...ocean liner...not ship...

when we were on her in 63 (or maybe it was 1962...the one detail i can't remember - whether it was january of 62 or 63), there were still locked gates between the classes...we were in first class, so we could go 'down' to the other classes, but not vice versa..

of course, none of the adults had any interest in doing that, but my 13 year old sister and i walked what seemed to be every inch of that ship...

they unlocked the gates for us and let us wander around...

we were also on the United States and on the America....but my favorite by far was the queen mary!!

fun growing up with parents who had to travel the world for their work...

i suppose my kids missed out on the adventures i had growing up.....

Edited by alaska_planner

right...ocean liner...not ship...

when we were on her in 63 (or maybe it was 1962...the one detail i can't remember - whether it was january of 62 or 63), there were still locked gates between the classes...we were in first class, so we could go 'down' to the other classes, but not vice versa..

of course, none of the adults had any interest in doing that, but my 13 year old sister and i walked what seemed to be every inch of that ship...

they unlocked the gates for us and let us wander around...

we were also on the United States and on the America....but my favorite by far was the queen mary!!

fun growing up with parents who had to travel the world for their work...

i suppose my kids missed out on the adventures i had growing up.....

Sorry Beth..I was not implying you were wrong using the term ship.I emphasized the *Ocean Liner * to show the differences with a cruise ship.

Now you have me jealous............you actual got to ride on the Queen Mary, United States and the America. The America of course had a very sad ending, being towed to the scrap yard, tow line breaking , setting on the rocky coast and breaking up. There is very little left of her.

AKK/ Arthur

Sorry Beth..I was not implying you were wrong using the term ship.I emphasized the *Ocean Liner * to show the differences with a cruise ship.

Now you have me jealous............you actual got to ride on the Queen Mary' date=' United States and the America. The America of course had a very sad ending, being towed to the scrap yard, tow line breaking , setting on the rocky coast and breaking up. There is very little left of her.

AKK/ Arthur[/quote']

i didn't think you were correcting me...i know there's a difference between ocean liners and cruise ships...

are there any real ocean liners left?

it's funny...my memory of ocean liners is that of a young child...so in my memory everything is HUGE.....i don't know if that was the case in reality or just from a child's perspective...

Edited by alaska_planner

i didn't think you were correcting me...i know there's a difference between ocean liners and cruise ships...

are there any real ocean liners left?

it's funny...my memory of ocean liners is that of a young child...so in my memory everything is HUGE.....i don't know if that was the case in reality or just from a child's perspective...

There are no real Ocean Liners operating. The closest we have is the Queen Mary II, which has the sleek lines and a partially enforced hull along the bow water line. Of course she is not going to be challenging for the S/S United States Blue Ribban.

The new Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria are built more along a cruise ship lines and design.

There are a few older smaller liners, like the original M/S STOCKHOLM, now named the Athena, and yes she is the one famous for the Andrea Doria collision. I read somewhere her charter runs out next year, so she maybe layed up at that point.

When we were kids every now and then Dad and Mom would drive us down to the city to see the liners in the west side 88/90 berths. We could not get on board even back then, but the views of the vessels were magnificent.

AKK

There are no real Ocean Liners operating. The closest we have is the Queen Mary II' date=' which has the sleek lines and a partially enforced hull along the bow water line. Of course she is not going to be challenging for the S/S United States Blue Ribban.

The new Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria are built more along a cruise ship lines and design.

There are a few older smaller liners, like the original M/S STOCKHOLM, now named the Athena, and yes she is the one famous for the Andrea Doria collision. I read somewhere her charter runs out next year, so she maybe layed up at that point.

When we were kids every now and then Dad and Mom would drive us down to the city to see the liners in the west side 88/90 berths. We could not get on board even back then, but the views of the vessels were magnificent.

AKK[/quote']

when we went on the queen mary, we actually drove as i'd gotten terribly sick and we thought we wouldn't be going at all on that sailing....

but after they shot me up with penicillin we piled into the car and drove to new york...

we drove up to the pier (i guess on the west side of manhattan) and she was GIGANTIC...again from that child's perspective (i was 7 years old....this was in 1963 or 1962)..

it was gorgeous...beautiful...

and we had the most unbelievable staterooms (at least in my 7 year old mind)....my sister and i each had a huge bed....and a gigantic bathroom...with a butler.....who would 'draw our bath' for us....

and he was at our beck and call.....very strange for an average american child...

the whole thing was glorious....and as i said, we had the complete run of the ship....it was january...no kids on board...at least none that we saw...

so the crew all knew who we were....and we had so much fun..

if memory serves, i learned how to swim on that ship...there was an indoor pool....i'm pretty sure it was on the queen mary and not on the america or united states...but i could be wrong...

memories....