Packing Secrets?

smheese

I have already pinned all of the packing lists I can find specifically for Disney cruises from blogs however as I'm about to pack us up, wanted to reach out and see if anyone here has anything odd they have found useful to have on a cruise or what not to forget. On our itinerary we are out to see for two days in a row (a first for us) so I really want to pack well.

Our kids are 7, 9 and 11. :)

Thanks!!

After 30 DCL cruises and several more on other lines, I still have NO idea what some of the stuff on those packing lists is for!

My kid hint is to get some large ziplock type bags. Put a full kid outfit in a bag (include underwear and socks). One bag for each day. Squish the air out and pack. When you get to the ship, just move the bags to a drawer. Each morning, the child can just get out a bag and everything they need for the "playclothes" for the day is right there. On a short cruise, pack a bag for each day. I pack dinner clothing and swimsuits separately. When they change, things that can't be worn again go into the laundry bag; things that can be worn again have a different location. Those items can be used when you need something to compensate for a spill or whatever. Dinner clothing can go for several nights as they only wear it for an hour or two. In your case, I'd label the bags as to which kid they belong to.

This prevents the end of the cruise resulting in nothing coordinating...and even dad can pick an outfit for a little one!

Somehow, I always overpack, even when I am determined that I won't! You don't need nearly as much as you think you do! Dinner--same pants or black skirt with different tops. Dressy clothing for formal, semi-formal, or adult dining nights can be used more than once..or again, a sparkly top with a black skirt. I don't take heels; dressy black sandals can manage as dress shoes. (caution if going to Remy--the rule says "no sandals," and what passes is up to the manager) If a cruise is more than a week, I plan on doing laundry. Less than a week and it is good to know that the laundry is there "just in case."

Not specific to cruising but more to travelling with kids. I always make sure I have kid specific over the counter meds. Children's Tylenol, cough syrup, anti-histamine etc. It is crazy expensive to buy on the ship, and I'd rather have it on hand, than have to figure out how to get it at 2am. Take the smallest container you can find, you likely won't need it but if you do, you'll be glad you took it!!

Pack as you would for any vacation to whatever climate you'll be in. So many of the items on those packing lists are totally unneeded! There is lots of storage in a cabin, and you can re-wear things like shorts that you only have on for an hour or two! Days will be spend in swimwear, for the most part...so you really don't need 3 changes of clothes a day!

Definitely bring any meds you might need....they are VERY costly on the ship, and if you have kids, they don't carry much (if any) pediatric strength stuff.

• 1 month later...

We always bring along some dryer sheets in a zip lock bag. They come in handy when thrown in with the dirty clothes & shoes that pile up towards of the end of a 5-day (or longer) cruise. Some cruisers actually wash their clothes aboard the ship during the cruise, but I just can't bring myself to do that (even if the machines were free - which they are not).

I do laundry on cruises longer than a week. The easiest thing is to pack something like Tide Pods or another "all in one" laundry product--much cheaper to bring your own than to purchase on board. Yes, there is a charge for the machines, but it beats the charge for dragging more luggage and is really not a big deal. One suitcase per person easily does a 7 night cruise for us.

And I agree with the comment to pack what you think you'll need, then remove half of it.

I have no cruise-packing experience (yet), but I do have business travel-packing experience. I'm assuming that there are some crossover principles. For instance, with sufficient underwear and t-shirts, 3 polo shirts and 2 pairs of pants = 6 outfits. I don't plan on taking more than 2-3 polos, 2 pairs of slacks, one shirt for formal night (with tie and jacket, that can be worn with one of the 2 pairs of slacks), 2-3 pairs of shorts, and 2 pairs of swim trunks.

If not for my pirate-night costume plans, I'm pretty sure I could pack in my usual 22in carryon for a 7-night cruise, with day-before/day-after clothes in my weekend bag/personal item.