Akun Viking Russia River Cruise Amount of Roubles used during trip?

BSIGIRL

We will be departing end of May for Helsinki, then train to St Petersburgand from there we will cruise to Moscow aboard Akun. My question is, should we purchase Roubles ahead of time and approximately how many? We will evidently need for incidentals, small purchases etc, and suggestion for past cruises on this trip?

Also any other tips, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Having done Moscow to SPB last September, I would advise changing to rubles at an ATM at the airport. Also, be sure and take what you will need until you get to Moscow. We found only 1 ATM along the way- most stops are at small towns/villages and not all vendors take credit cards. Enjoy the cruise- we found it fascinating!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you, for your reply. Do you have any recollection of approximate amount of roubles that you spent..or dollar amount.? Just looking for a approximate amount that we might spend, knowing that ATM"S are few. Thank you!

Thank you, for your reply. Do you have any recollection of approximate amount of roubles that you spent..or dollar amount.? Just looking for a approximate amount that we might spend, knowing that ATM"S are few. Thank you!

Since no one knows your spending habits, it is very difficult to provide you with any useful information.

A better way might be to look at how much you tend to spend on trips and then do research about things that might impact that spending. Some people might convert a hundred dollars or so if they don't spend much off of the boat, Someone else might do a thousand if they tend to buy more.

If I was in your shoes I would ask:

What is the availability of dining in the stops and relative cost? Do they tend to be cash only?

What is the availability of shops for X, Y and Z? Do the larger ones take credit cards. What are their relative prices?

For those places that accept cash do they only accept roubles or will they take dollars or euros instead (in major cities my experience is that a lot do take other currencies, even if the government frowns upon it). Are their restrictions on the amount of dollars you can bring into Russia. Are their places to exchange dollars or euros into roubles along the way?

If so what kinds of exchange rates.

Edited by RDC1

I'm a pretty conservative souvenir seeker [emoji5]. What was available were many hand carved Christmas Santas and beautiful painted ornaments- very reasonable! If you are interested in fur hats these were pricey. Various flavored vodka was a popular purchase. Other than that- not much to spend money on along the river. We used rubles for our tips to local guides as well as at the end of the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The shops that the cruise lines visit all take credit cards and one, in St. Petersburg had an ATM. Not sure how many days your trip is, but I would start with $100 worth and use any remaining for tips at the end.

Many of the markets, if you visit those, do not take credit cards, but do take local currency and US dollars.