Hop On Hop Off Bus in Copenhagen

My husband and I have a full day in Copenhagen prior to embarking on our cruise on the Regal Princess. We are thinking of using the Hop-on Hop-Off Bus which includes a canal cruise. We can purchase the tickets online through Expedia. Is that worthwhile or should we wait and buy the tickets when we get to Copenhagen? Thanks.

I see no reason to pre-purchase these tickets, especially through a 3rd party site like Expedia. You can just buy the tickets when you arrive in Copenhagen. They won't sell out. (Also, I recommend you read the reviews on Trip Advisor of the various HO/HO companies as there is more than one. They don't universally get good reviews.)

If you don't have mobility issues, I'd recommend the Copenhagen Free Walking Tour. You'll go on little side streets that the buses can't reach and learn things not on the HO/HO bus "spiel". . The tour lasts 3 hours and you learn a lot more than just what building is what. Our guide, Magnus, was a wealth of information about the history, culture, politics, etc. of Copenhagen and Denmark. And the reviews of this company are stellar!

If you do the Copenhagen Free Walking Tour, you can go by the canal boats later and book one of their tours. (Just note that the waits for the canal rides can be a little long.)

Thank you for the information. My husband does have some mobility issues so I'm a bit concerned about the walking tours, although I hear that they are fabulous. I have done some research on the Hop On/Hop Off companies on Trip Advisor. Thanks again for the info!

We bought ours online from stromma, they are the green bus and also have canal tour included. We got the 48 hour ticket. I had read somewhere that there were lines to purchase, so just did it before we leave.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We found we could buy the tickets on board the bus, they in fact charged it to our sea pass and although not the most economical way to do it it used up obc which we had difficulties spending. The canal tour highly entertaining well worth doing. No problems getting on 9.30 boat.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have a slight problem with walking distances so I understand your husband's concern. We used Stromma in Copenhagen (actually they are red buses in Copenhagen, green in Stockholm) for the HO/HO buses and the canal cruise. We did pre-pay online directly to Stromma which allowed us to begin at any of the stops. The Stromma employee just scanned our receipt and printed off our ticket. We happen to miss the last Stromma canal boat tour at Gammel Strand the one day but the other canal boat company there honored our ticket. If you use Stromma, I would suggest doing the Mermaid tour first. Then either Green or Blue, which ever bus is first. They use the same bus for both routes and just alternate trips.