Ballroom Dancing Report - QM2

Q-step

I don't think that I've ever met a professional musician who could afford to retire; did you marry well?:D

What did you play or still do, did you teach or have a 2nd career?

Actually, I was able to make a very good living playing full time for about 25 years. However, there reached a point where I could see that the music business was changing due to various life style, economics and technology factors, so I went back to college for a business/computer science degree.

For many years I worked in data processing/programming during the week days and played music on the weekends.

Even though I no long play, I make double basses (bass viol, upright bass) as a hobby. I married well :) to a former high schol English teacher (married 41 years). We started dancing just before our first QM2 TA in 2012 and usually go dancing, to live music, at least twice a week plus lessons. Since I was always playing when I was younger, I had never, ever, danced prior to that.

Bob

Actually, I was able to make a very good living playing full time for about 25 years. However, there reached a point where I could see that the music business was changing due to various life style, economics and technology factors, so I went back to college for a business/computer science degree.

For many years I worked in data processing/programming during the week days and played music on the weekends.

Even though I no long play, I make double basses (bass viol, upright bass) as a hobby. I married well :) to a former high schol English teacher (married 41 years). We started dancing just before our first QM2 TA in 2012 and usually go dancing, to live music, at least twice a week plus lessons. Since I was always playing when I was younger, I had never, ever, danced prior to that. Bob

It's a shame that being a musician is a tough way to make a living.

What venues, symphonic, big band, jazz combos?

Do you also play the "Thud Staff", bass guitar? I'll bet that you have some stories to tell.

Sorta like you, I have a Martin Guitar and a nylon classical sitting beside my desk in my home office, but nobody want's to hear me play and sing.

Edited by GCurry

It's a shame that being a musician is a tuff way to make a living.

What venues, symphonic, big band, jazz combos?

Do you also play the "Thud Staff" bass guitar? I'll bet that you have some stories to tell.

Sorta like you, I have a Martin Guitar and a nylon classical sitting beside my desk in my home office, but nobody want's to hear me play and sing.

I did them all at one time or another, although my symphonic experience was limited. Kansas City is known as a Jazz town, so I grew up playing jazz in clubs and in concerts. I worked in the showroom at the old KC Playboy Club for 11 years. That was great experience, backing "name" and "semi-name" singers & comedians with a brand new show to learn every week. It's sad that those kind of places no longer exist for the young players of today.

As far as electric bass is concerned, I have always hated the sound they produce and I only played Fender bass only when a particular show absolutely demanded it. I sold the Fender shortly after I left the Playboy Club and never touched one again.

Bob

I did them all at one time or another, although my symphonic experience was limited. Kansas City is known as a Jazz town, so I grew up playing jazz in clubs and in concerts. I worked in the showroom at the old KC Playboy Club for 11 years. That was great experience, backing "name" and "semi-name" singers & comedians with a brand new show to learn every week. It's sad that those kind of places no longer exist for the young players of today.
Gee Bob working a Playboy Club for 11 years, what a hardship!!:D

I do take yer point, a "Supper Club" is pretty rare these days where dining and dancing is what you came for.

Surprisingly enough, Norwegian offers that. We cruised last year on the Norwegian Getaway a very nice ship with 9 specialty restaurants, as the cuisine in the MDR wasn't all that special!!:rolleyes:

They did, however, have a large dance floor in the MDR with a live music combo nightly; they did take requests.

As far as electric bass is concerned, I have always hated the sound they produce and I only played Fender bass only when a particular show absolutely demanded it. I sold the Fender shortly after I left the Playboy Club and never touched one again. Bob
I have seen some great double bass solos with Jazz groups; we can assume that you could produce one upon request??:)

Gee Bob working a Playboy Club for 11 years, what a hardship!!:D
I hadn't thought about it in terms of supper clubs, but like the QM2, the old Playboy Club had 3 separate entertainment rooms that featured a good jazz trio in one (much like the Chart Room), a showroom like the Royal Court Theatre with a good show band, and and a separate room for dancing like the Queens Room with a dance band. Of course, the QM2 doesn't have the "Bunnies" …

Oh well, you can't have everything :p

Of course, the QM2 doesn't have the "Bunnies"
These days it's BYOB, Bring yer own Bunny!!:D

Especially on cruises, although on occasion, you do see a kindly old uncle taking his niece on a cruise.:rolleyes:

You might have seen a lot of that in a Playboy Club.

I like a supper club concept, but I recall one ship, I think Carnival that had a dance combo in the specialty dining room.

We'd have go there for drinks and dancing.

Philosophically, I do have a problem with paying extra for meals that I've already bought every evening just to dance.

I think medals are a good money-spinner for dance schools. They start you on the medal route and and you keep going because you have to be ready for that next exam day in 6 months. I spoke to someone last night at a social dance who said she felt they'd lost focus because they were not doing any medals at the moment and were not learning new routines and new steps.

Medals are also great for someone like me who is single and does not have a dance partner. I can still dance.

Here in the UK, and in Australia when I first learnt, medals are an alternative to competition dancing. You do one or the other.

Absolutely correct ... the medal tests are a great way to maintain interest and ensure continuous self-improvement. Although many dance students dance with their teacher when taking the various examinations we have never needed to do that for the simple reason that my wife was a gold-medal ballroom dancer as a teenager. So, I've been fortunate in that respect.

We have many friends who have tried competition dancing but eventually found that it takes much of the pleasure out of dancing as the worry of approaching competitions takes much of the pleasure out of what should be a really enjoyable pastime. And as you get older you can do without the pressure :)

I like a supper club concept, but I recall one ship, I think Carnival that had a dance combo in the specialty dining room.

We'd have go there for drinks and dancing.

I've never been real fond of venues that have food and dancing in the same room. Invariably, little remnants of the food ends up on the dance floor and onto your dance shoes. Don't even get me started about drinks spilled on the dance floors.

Bob

I've never been real fond of venues that have food and dancing in the same room. Invariably, little remnants of the food ends up on the dance floor and onto your dance shoes. Don't even get me started about drinks spilled on the dance floors.

Bob

Couldn't agree more. The idea of dancing up-tempo quicksteps or rock 'n' roll between courses doesn't bear thinking about. And the ladies wouldn't be too keen on dropping the food all over their latest dancing ensemble! However, we would make an exception for the Savoy dinner-dance but that would be for the exclusive ambience and not for the dancing.

Couldn't agree more. The idea of dancing up-tempo quicksteps or rock 'n' roll between courses doesn't bear thinking about. And the ladies wouldn't be too keen on dropping the food all over their latest dancing ensemble! However, we would make an exception for the Savoy dinner-dance but that would be for the exclusive ambience and not for the dancing.

Probably to get that cooked carrot off yer foot.

Supper clubs with music I think must have been a Northern thing, as you didn't find them in Texas except for private clubs as far as I know. Foxy, yer ole friend JR Ewing would have enjoyed the dance/dinner music at the Dallas Petroleum Club, I know that I did.

Actually I've never had a problem with food or drink spills, I have dropped a lady or two due to an inability on someone's part, probably mine!!:rolleyes:

The problem that we found on the Getaway wasn't the floor or the music, both were good. It was my Father-in-Laws 80th celebration so we were a party of 16 for early dining. Leaving what you were eating for a quick Rumba wasn't a problem either, as after all, it was Norwegian so a short wait on yer plate wouldn't make a tad of difference in the quality!!

But, families would allow their young children to cavort on the dance floor while we were dancing.

Cavorting children aren't much for line of dance!!

Edited by GCurry

.......Foxy, yer ole friend JR Ewing would have enjoyed the dance/dinner music at the Dallas Petroleum Club, I know that I did.........

Yes, but ole JR wouldn't be there to dance the Slow Foxtrot, he'd be there to flatter some painted hussy, once she'd been cleared by Harry McSween.

Yes, but ole JR wouldn't be there to dance the Slow Foxtrot, he'd be there to flatter some painted hussy, once she'd been cleared by Harry McSween.
He would have been there for lunch Foxy, rubbin elbos with the Hunts an the Cullens an them others as rich as Trump and doin the Oil bidness!! The evening wus for behavin hisself with Sue Ellen an Momma!! Couples danced in the evening, dollars danced at lunch!!:D

Score another one for Cunard!
You got that right, didn't see those folks on Cunard. We did, however, meet a member of our diplomatic corps being rotated back to the States along with her family and dogs on the QM2. It led me to believe that I was in the wrong business.:rolleyes: Edited by GCurry

You got that right, didn't see those folks on Cunard. We did, however, meet a member of our diplomatic corps being rotated back to the States along with her family and dogs on the QM2. It led me to believe that I was in the wrong business.:rolleyes:

Glad to say that I've never seen kids running around on the Queens Room dance floor on either the QM2 or QE. I did however, once see a mother dancing (well, sort of dancing) with her 8 year old boy immaculatley dressed in a Tuxedo with patent leather shoes.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks, I was on the 11 - 18 October TA on QM2, NY to Southampton, and can report on the QR orchestra of Andy Hillier, vocalist Damian Dowd, and

band Vibz.

QR Orch: OK, decent variety of ballroom dance music, good on Quickstep, Foxtrot, Rumba, Cha Cha, but a bit slow on Slow Waltz (mostly 28 bpm) and VW (56 - 58 bpm). Drummer mostly on beat throughout each tune.

Vocalist: Damian Dowd, one of better vocalists on Cunard ships, but I wonder sometimes where they dig out tunes which are unrecognizable as to origin or original vocalist. For sure, much more rhythmic than Paul Christopher.

Vibz: Good at what they do. This band took over QR for 2 out of 7 nights. Their music mainly one genre -- rock, rock, and more rock. Their slower music is mainly a cheek to cheek two beat tune.

Recorded music: much better than on other Cunard vessels. VW had a few Strauss waltzes, and other more familiar tunes like Last Waltz, Fascination, etc for the slow waltz.

Dance hosts: as a group, probably one of best I've seen. All fairly capable in Quickstep, Rumba, Cha Cha, and Slow waltz. Two capable in VW, Tango, and Foxtrot. Not one was a rank beginner. All bar one fairly friendly. Ladies seemed to enjoy dancing with them, and the dance hosts showed no particular favourites for sticking with the younger, prettier set (maybe because there weren't any).

Group dance lesson: by Volodymyr/Nadiya. Taught cha cha, slow waltz, tango, quickstep, and jive. OK, good lessons even if only very basic, but still can learn something.

Overall, great cruise, beautiful newly remastered ship, good food, Kings Court greatly improved, plus now that I'm Diamond, I got a free lunch in Verandah, and 8 hours of internet/Wi-fi. There was one afternoon tea dance on next to last day. Nothing noteworthy to report on that.

Next cruise: probably QE in March from Kobe/Shanghai/HK/Vietnam/Singapore; waiting for price drop after all the cancellations; hopefully, no Paul Christopher.

tangoll

Edited by tangoll
Minor corrections/additions

Sounds like not much Latin? Around here most places are now doing 60%, sometimes 75% Latin, things like bachatta, merengue, mambo/salsa, Argentine tango, are common. I also find Paso Doble (the music, not the ludicrous posturing) is popular in Europe.

Many thanks for your report. My wife and considering one of the QM2 crossings and want to be sure there are plenty of dance opportunities.
If you choose early dining you get a better table in the Queen's. There is dancing every night, but it can get too crowded during the balls. The "Tea Dance" for us was a good one, as there weren't as many couples.
Sounds like not much Latin? Around here most places are now doing 60%, sometimes 75% Latin, things like bachatta, merengue, mambo/salsa, Argentine tango, are common. I also find Paso Doble (the music, not the ludicrous posturing) is popular in Europe.
We dance the Merengue/Salsa, and also the Mexican Cumbia which lends itself to Salsa dancing.

Bolero fits well with the slow International Rumbas they play onboard.

You never see a Paso down here except for competition or exhibitions.

The orchestra was open to requests, as they did play a Merengue for us.

Edited by GCurry

.... I also find Paso Doble (the music, not the ludicrous posturing) is popular in Europe.

Hardly surprising Bob as the dance originated in Europe. However, the actual Paso Doble dance is very rarely played at UK social dances as very few dancers can execute it properly. There is, however, a Sequence Dance called Paso Madrid and this is danced at a number of Sequence Dancing venues. This is much easier than the original dance.

You are right that the dramatic Paso music is certainly popular in Europe even though very few dancers can do it justice.