checking for voice mail

Marcys

Hi Marcys, somewhat new to cruising so not sure what a TA is, but if you go to settings>cellular and turn off cellular data, then you shouldn't get a bunch of random charges from your phone company. I was able to turn on wifi only on a recent cruise and access transcripts of voicemails.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Ok, I've never done transatlantic, though it sounds fun.

My phone has been showing transcripts automatically in visual voicemail since the recent update to iOS 10. It just shows the transcript automatically when I click on a particular voicemail. I can then choose to listen by clicking play or just read the transcript.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Will I be able to very briefly turn on my iphone to check for voice messages while on a TA? I realize that there will be charges for this. I just want to know if it can be done. Any tips will be welcome.

Yes you will be able to turn on. I am from UK and have done several TA's and always used my phone. I don't think you can use pay as you go phones though. Yes, there is a charge.

Depending upon your provider, you should have access their web-based access to your voice mailbox. (Often with transcription, but most with playback at minimum). This may be a more economical method of access using ship Internet than a straight mobile connection - which, if available, would likely have a much higher per-minute fee.

In any event - the answer is "likely yes, and by various means, but it may depend upon the specifics of your voicemail service and your phone and service provider."

As to whether there is direct cell service aboard and the charges involved, the first place to go to ask is your mobile service provider.

Edited by MarkBearSF