Leaving children with grandparents on board

gingerbumblebee

This summer we are going on Azura with my dad for a week with our 2 children. I know that children cannot be left in the kids club when you go ashore, it says in the A-Z of cruising in the brochure "we also ask parents and guardians to note that children under 16 must not be left unaccompanied on the ship whilst at a port of call."

My dad has suggested that me and my husband go on a short excursion at one of the ports, and he has offered to stay on board with the kids whilst they go in the kids club. Do you think this would be allowed? Has anyone got experience of this?

As a grandparent we took our 8 &.11 year old granddaughters on a cruise. They loved it and there was no problem in us "being responsible"

We always let grandchildren and the kids crew know where we were.

My suggestion is, if the kids will be good for grandpa, take not a short trip but a big one.

Had no problem with this before.

had to make sure that the grandparents were registered with the kids clubs for signing in and out the children (its on the forms you fill in when registering in the clubs for the first time)

We're the same. Also let the kids club know that grandparents are the contact point for the day/hours you're off.

Yes you only need one pre-registered person to remain on board when children are in the kids club. It makes sense to get as many people of the correct age from your party to be able to sign children in/out to give you flexibility. The current system P&O use is a small sticker they put on your cruise card which is itself checked. No end of times someone's not ready for dinner or everybody except one of you wants to get somewhere urgently; like now, but the children are in the club! So if you can all sign things are easier and it does not matter who signed them in one of the others can sign them out, whoever so long as the parents have got them on the authorised list.

They also use a pager system to retrieve parents etc. and you can always ask for one to be given to you or grandparent/s for peace of mind.

It's all very straight forward and you can explain stuff to the staff as they like to know about parents wishes.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Yes you only need one pre-registered person to remain on board when children are in the kids club. It makes sense to get as many people of the correct age from your party to be able to sign children in/out to give you flexibility. The current system P&O use is a small sticker they put on your cruise card which is itself checked. No end of times someone's not ready for dinner or everybody except one of you wants to get somewhere urgently; like now, but the children are in the club! So if you can all sign things are easier and it does not matter who signed them in one of the others can sign them out, whoever so long as the parents have got them on the authorised list.

They also use a pager system to retrieve parents etc. and you can always ask for one to be given to you or grandparent/s for peace of mind.

It's all very straight forward and you can explain stuff to the staff as they like to know about parents wishes.

Regards John

I looked on the cruise personaliser and there is a document about the kids club which I haven't found anywhere previously, which said you can have 4 named people.

Does anyone know the rough times the kids club is open? It says online it varies?