Britannia with children/children's clubs/entertainment

Vickitoria10

We are traveling with a 2yr old on Britannia first week in sept on the France/Spain cruise.

Firstly, my son is water and swimming mad but is not yet potty trained, we will try and do this prior to the cruise but if not I'm aware he can't go in the main pools,but have read about a splash area but can't find any photos at all, anyone know anything about this?

Also we don't actually want to leave him in the children's clubs but do want to be able to take him to play area ourselves. Is it possible to do this? I've seen a nice photo of a soft play area with slide and want to be able to stay with him and play. Will it just be parents that can do this due to access security or will grandparents be able to come to?

Will they stil have children's discos and entertainment as it's the first cruise after the kids go back to school?

We kind of got pushed into booking this cruise for in laws birthday (they are paying) but the more I read the more I'm dreading taking a young child. He will be eating in the MDR with us and we won't be doing any shore excursions, will be finding the nearest beach at most ports!

How deep are the main pools? Can an adult stand in them? He is a fab swimmer so if potty trained wanted him to be able to practice but need an adult to be stood with him for safety.

Sorry for all the questions I'm just struggling to find info on the children's areas of the ship!

Thanks!

I cannot answer your all you questions but what I did see was a fabulous play area for the little ones, with water play and a wooden pirate climbing frame. There were parents in there with their children, wish I'd taken a picture to show you.

I didn't see any very young children in the MDR in the evening. I do know they do any early tea for the children at 5pm. A specific area set out for them in the horizon restaurant. There is a night nursery for little ones until 2am.

The children's entertainment will be arranges according to the age and number of children on board. On our cruise we didn't see much of the children until they made a crocodile train and walked round the ship singing. (It was lovely to see.)

Hope this helps a little.

We are traveling with a 2yr old on Britannia first week in sept on the France/Spain cruise.

Firstly, my son is water and swimming mad but is not yet potty trained, we will try and do this prior to the cruise but if not I'm aware he can't go in the main pools,but have read about a splash area but can't find any photos at all, anyone know anything about this?

Also we don't actually want to leave him in the children's clubs but do want to be able to take him to play area ourselves. Is it possible to do this? I've seen a nice photo of a soft play area with slide and want to be able to stay with him and play. Will it just be parents that can do this due to access security or will grandparents be able to come to?

Will they stil have children's discos and entertainment as it's the first cruise after the kids go back to school?

We kind of got pushed into booking this cruise for in laws birthday (they are paying) but the more I read the more I'm dreading taking a young child. He will be eating in the MDR with us and we won't be doing any shore excursions, will be finding the nearest beach at most ports!

How deep are the main pools? Can an adult stand in them? He is a fab swimmer so if potty trained wanted him to be able to practice but need an adult to be stood with him for safety.

Sorry for all the questions I'm just struggling to find info on the children's areas of the ship!

Thanks!

Hi,

We went on a Norway cruise on Britannia with our twins who were 23 months old at the time of the cruise. They were just too young to go in the kids clubs during the day without us, but we used the night nursery facilities and were shown around the kids club.

The facilities in the kids club (The Reef) are absolutely superb and all the children in them seemed to be really enjoying themselves. It's split into 4 sections for different age groups so young children are all together etc. The staff were all lovely. As long as there is space, one adult is allowed to stay in the kids club sessions per child - they have a morning, afternoon and evening session. You will have a welcome letter in your cabin telling you about the facilities. We went up there soon after we boarded to register and were shown around.

As far as the pools are concerned I don't think swim nappies are permitted. The little splash area is accessed via the kids club area but I don't think it was really used on our cruise as it wasn't particularly warm outside. Looked nice though!

We left our twins in the night nursery each evening (not many people seemed to use it), but we did see people in the main dining room with babies and toddlers. The kids tea-time in the Horizon buffet is good too - 5pm every day.

Also, all the onboard staff were without exception lovely to our girls throughout the cruise.

If you have any specific questions, let me know and I'll try to answer them!

Edited by ballon

Hi,

We went on a Norway cruise on Britannia with our twins who were 23 months old at the time of the cruise. They were just too young to go in the kids clubs during the day without us, but we used the night nursery facilities and were shown around the kids club.

The facilities in the kids club (The Reef) are absolutely superb and all the children in them seemed to be really enjoying themselves. It's split into 4 sections for different age groups so young children are all together etc. The staff were all lovely. As long as there is space, one adult is allowed to stay in the kids club sessions per child - they have a morning, afternoon and evening session. You will have a welcome letter in your cabin telling you about the facilities. We went up there soon after we boarded to register and were shown around.

As far as the pools are concerned I don't think swim nappies are permitted. The little splash area is accessed via the kids club area but I don't think it was really used on our cruise as it wasn't particularly warm outside. Looked nice though!

We left our twins in the night nursery each evening (not many people seemed to use it), but we did see people in the main dining room with babies and toddlers. The kids tea-time in the Horizon buffet is good too - 5pm every day.

Also, all the onboard staff were without exception lovely to our girls throughout the cruise.

If you have any specific questions, let me know and I'll try to answer them!

Hi Ballon,

I will be travelling with my 22 month old in the near future and I was wondering how strict the kids club was about leaving your 23 month olds at the club during the day. I noticed you said that you never left them, was that a personal choice or was it prohibited? Do they enforce the age requirements?

Hoping to sneak away to the spa for a few hours one day...

Thank you for your help!

-Victoria

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Ballon,

I will be travelling with my 22 month old in the near future and I was wondering how strict the kids club was about leaving your 23 month olds at the club during the day. I noticed you said that you never left them, was that a personal choice or was it prohibited? Do they enforce the age requirements?

Hoping to sneak away to the spa for a few hours one day...

Thank you for your help!

-Victoria

Hi Victoria,

We were hoping we might be able to do the same, but unfortunately they are strict on the age - the staff know the kids' dates of birth and eligibility for the clubs (they have a list of all the kids onboard and their ages). I presume it'll all be down to what they're insured for so I suppose they have to have a cut off.

What I will say though is that the night nursery was amazing - we took ours at 7pm and picked them up around 11.30-midnight each night and didn't get paged once. We only had a bit of trouble settling them on one evening, so got a few hours to ourselves every night.

I still recommend you go and register on the first day so that they can show you everything, and you'll be able to make use of the facilities as long as you're there to supervise.

Edited by ballon

That's great there were parents in the pirate play area, that's the one I've read about. Is the one parent rule only if they are using the actual children's club? We don't want to use the club but want to use the play area etc for our son but both of us want to take him in! We won't be using he early children's tea, he's used to eating with us as a family and we have our own table of 6 for our family. He's generally well behaved and has his tuxedo for the formal nights!

Hi Victoria,

We were hoping we might be able to do the same, but unfortunately they are strict on the age - the staff know the kids' dates of birth and eligibility for the clubs (they have a list of all the kids onboard and their ages). I presume it'll all be down to what they're insured for so I suppose they have to have a cut off.

What I will say though is that the night nursery was amazing - we took ours at 7pm and picked them up around 11.30-midnight each night and didn't get paged once. We only had a bit of trouble settling them on one evening, so got a few hours to ourselves every night.

I still recommend you go and register on the first day so that they can show you everything, and you'll be able to make use of the facilities as long as you're there to supervise.

Thank you for that information!

I'm definitely looking forward to that night nursery!

• 3 weeks later...

This has made a great read .me and the wife are sailing on 13/06 this Saturday and we are bringing our 19 month old ..was wondering about everything you mentioned. How was your laundry experience please ? Cheers

That's great there were parents in the pirate play area, that's the one I've read about. Is the one parent rule only if they are using the actual children's club? We don't want to use the club but want to use the play area etc for our son but both of us want to take him in! We won't be using he early children's tea, he's used to eating with us as a family and we have our own table of 6 for our family. He's generally well behaved and has his tuxedo for the formal nights!

Hi there - we have not been on Brittania but on Azura and Ventura. The one parent rule applies to the kids clubs only as far as I am aware. However the outside play area is usually attached to the kids club and therefore you will only be allowed one parent when playing there. On Azura and Ventura they also have a room where they put out toys for young children and you are free to go there to play with your child together with both parents. This room turns into the night nursery at night. I can only assume that they will have the same on Brittania.

Sue

That will be disappointing if we can't both take our child into the play area, is the other parent just meant to wait outside?! It appears this is the only area for children to play on the ship? I'm beginning to feel that the 'family friendly' ships aren't actually that family friendly! I hope this isn't really the case. We are a family that like to do things together so want to take our son to play on the slides, the soft play and water area together.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I will post a review .got to say the kids club is a godsend .even though one of us has to stay cos he's under 2 ...the night nursery is good also .will review at home .glad we brought our own cot mattress though .

They were the standard sized Graco travel cots on our cruise in May - and they where brand new. Our 2 year olds fitted in them no problem.

2 of them side by side in the cabin next between the sofa and the desk was a squeeze and we had to take them down each morning, but the cabin stewards bade them up again for us each evening whilst we were out for dinner.

The bedding they provided was just fleecey blackets, so you might want to consider taking a travel cot sized fitted sheet.

Thanks! We have one requested and have the option of a sofa bed in the room so will see which works best, I've read the arms of the sofa almost act as a bed guard at the top? We don't want an actual bed guard as this would be placed on the main beds and one of us then have the sofa bed!