Magic Review - April 30-May 7, 2016, With kids

Ahmne

Thanks very much for the review. You're doing a great job! Just the right balance of telling us about it and photos and I'm enjoying very much so far!

We will be on the Magic a very, VERY long time from now, but are hungry for reviews out of FLL since this is pretty new.

Your little boy is darling! Love the pic with him and his sunglasses and drink

:D Hope to see more of him and your little girl too.

I'm with you on the ceasar dressing. I know there are rave reviews of it, but I thought it was odd tasting, and no, it wasn't the anchovy flavor. It was something else and I just didn't care for it.

Following along!

Thanks! The boy loves pictures of himself on the internet and seeing how many 'likes' he gets.

I LOVE ceaser salad and was disappointed it wasn't going to be something I could enjoy on the ship. It almost tasted like it was made with mayonaise and needed more garlic.

Your not far from us, we live by Hamilton, Ontario and were booked for Next April to the Western

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yeah! Another Canadian. Hope you have a great time.

DD woke up bright and early at 6:40 am no one else was ready to get up so we sat on the balcony. Room service came with our order of drinks- coffees, apple juice and milk.

Eventually we got ready for the sea day brunch. We were supposed to meet members of our Facebook group with kids for golf at 9. Brunch started at 8:30 and we wanted to eat it before we went about our day. I didn't want to go later since I wanted appetite for Guy’s BBQ.

There was hardly a wait for brunch. We got table 617 one level up from overlooking the water. DH and I had steak and eggs. He had a side of bacon and I had corned beef hash.

64751739-d2f3-4555-8feb-a0f6fd0e69bf_zpsmhgpqm8o.jpg

We got fruit and one blueberry pancake for DD. DS had ceaser salad and fruit loop covered French toast. He had been looking forward to it for so long. It was too much for him to finish.

After brunch we decided to head to the waterpark.

We found a spot with a bit of shade to the left of the waterpark. DD was so happy to see ‘her’ slide. She got in and found the water a bit cold. She went down it twice and wanted to be wrapped up in the towel. She was done.

IMG_0326_zpsmmz2ul9s.jpg

DH and DS enjoyed the slides. I decided to go in and cool off a bit. I followed DS and ended up getting the bucket dumped on me. Not good with my contacts on. I couldn't see for a while.

After the water works we went to play golf at sports square. Neither the water park or sports square were very busy considering it was a sea day. We did a couple holes of mini golf and played a bit of pool.

IMG_0338_zps4wowclei.jpg

We headed down to guys bbq for lunch. This is the only Carnival boat with the new bbq and it just launched two weeks ago so I was excited to try it. Between all of us we had some of everything. The best thing was the chicken. Everything else was just okay. The sauces are what make the dish. There is also a salad bar just inside at the Ocean Plaza if you want more greens. There was no where to get a non alcoholic beverage on deck 5 according the woman in the red frog pub. Not well thought out. We should have just taken our food up to the lido.

Here’s the menu:

IMG_0343_zpsy5lwoos3.jpg

IMG_0344_zpsp14jmawm.jpg

IMG_0351_zpsbm6dqgc5.jpg

We ate without a drink and made our way up to the lido.

This is when I tried Tandoor for the first time. I’d read rave review on here getting ready for the trip and its true - this place is great! It was definitely my favourite food on the ship.

Yummy naan, beef kebab, saag paneer, veggie pakoras, tomato salad and raita. I wish the Indian dishes in the MDR tasted like this and came with naan.

IMG_0352_zpsdc8sghzt.jpg

IMG_0354_zpszd74whfr.jpg

IMG_0355_zpst33mix2o.jpg

We picked up some ice tea to go and went back to the room to get out of our swimming clothes.

We got a call to confirm our reservation for the chefs table. It would take place Tuesday Night, same day as Belize which was what I was afraid of.

It was almost time for Tea time. We decided to drop this kids at Camp Ocean so we could enjoy it alone. DD took a little while to settle in. Sheldon had to go in with her for a bit. They gave us a phone in case they needed to contact us. The worker at the door was from Newfoundland and another woman there was from Brampton. Apparently another woman in the stingrays section was from Mississauga. They were the only Canadians I met working on the ship.

DH and I went to afternoon tea. It was pretty quiet and very efficient. They came and offered either Lipton or green tea for free or earl grey etc for $1.25. A bit silly for a tea bag, I just went with Lipton. DH had green tea. They offered scones with cream prefilled, fresh strawberries, chocolate or lemon cake, cucumber sandwiches, fruit filled tarts and open faced smoked salmon on a crispy baguette.

IMG_0358_zps7xictmq7.jpg

IMG_0360_zpskmlaxryv.jpg

We went down to deck 3 to make the green eggs and ham reservations. There was only one person ahead of us in the priority line this time. Jodi Ann for Kingston Jamaica took our info. We booked the 8:15 breakfast. 9:45 seemed too late.

We picked up the kids around 5 who were both happy with their lollipops and candy to get ready for the first elegant night.

For the most part people were dressed up. I didn’t really see too much difference between what people wore to dinner between this cruise and our one on Celebrity.

Here’s the menu:

IMG_0367_zpszqrmkagy.jpg

Kids Menu (it’s the same every night. It has tic tac toe and games in it):

86a4e4cf-63d8-4df4-84b1-2ae500016adb_zpsz7qqs2bf.jpg

The food at dinner was ok. More people were in the dining room so the servers were busier. DS had ceaser salad and prime rib. DD had spaghetti with butter. I started with the ceaser salad and DH ordered the braised kale tart bit ended up with a kale ceaser salad he didn't want. Ender apologized when we told him but we weren't super hungry so decided to just let it be. DH and I both had lobster as the main. It’s not as good as maritime lobster (Ender knew that too!) and the serving was small. Sorry no pictures! Kids were all over the place. The wait staff performed and some people got up and into the music. I liked it!

After the kids were done with their mains I took them the room to change and then onto the camp ocean club while DH ordered a second round of lobster. Once again, DD didn't want to go despite asking to go at dinner, DS went in with her for a bit before going to his own section. I was happy they allowed this because we needed it a few time during the trip.

I went back down to the dining room. DH had already eaten his second order of lobster. The warm chocolate melting cake arrived just after I came. With two scoops of ice cream. I don't know how people can eat it without it.

IMG_0385_zpsrm9z80qn.jpg

It’s good but a little rich for me!

Service today was not as good as yesterday. No one came to offer topping for DS’s baked potato. They poured water but didn't ask if we wanted lemonade etc. They did offer the wine list. Someone came around to take photos during dinner.

DH and I enjoyed a quiet dessert and decided to check out the PG comedy show. The comedian was Mark Hawkins. The entire show was two segments based on audience participation. His jokes weren't bad. There was some innuendo that I wouldn't feel comfortable with my 7 year old hearing. After comedy we headed back to the room to change out of our elegant clothes.

Our room was ready for the evening. Agus wrote happy birthday on the mirror for DH and he got gifts of a $50 spa credit, free pictures and $25 off a bottle of wine. It was a really nice touch!

We picked up the kids from camp ocean. DD was decked out as a princess with a sparkly wand, purple crown and fruit loop necklace. She told me it wasn't to eat but it was gone before bedtime.

IMG_0394_zpssvb2xfrn.jpg

DS won a medal with his mummy wrapping team.

IMG_0395_zpswxvcjnlo.jpg

We all got ready for bed and decided on our room service order for the morning. It took the kids a while to fall asleep. We went to the balcony so they would settle down. I love just seeing the white caps of the waves at night.

On the balcony around 11:30 and smelling smoke. I looked down and there were only a few women walking and none of them had cigarettes. DH went inside shortly after since the smell of smoke really gets to him. A few minutes later a burning ash from the balcony next door landed on our balcony – it was our neighbour. I debated on calling but decided to let it go and went in to bed.

Next up - Cozumel.

Edited by Ahmne
edited photo

We will be on the Magic a very, VERY long time from now, but are hungry for reviews out of FLL since this is pretty new.

Following along!

I'm on that same cruise - a long time from now!

Loving your review and pictures!

Thank you for the info on the Tandoori station! I had that on my very first cruise and was so happy to learn it's on the Magic. It was excellent! I've been kind of bummed it wasn't on the other two I've done.

How were the lines at Guy's bbq? It seems so odd to me that they only have it open such a short time. I can understand doing it only on sea days, but I think they should extend the amount of time it's open. Oh well, maybe they will by the time I go..since it's SO FAR AWAY.

Yup, those kiddos are adorable! Tell DS he got a like from a crazy old lady in Wyoming :D

We will be on her in August with 2 kids. Ages 5 & 8. Of course they do not know about it. If they found out our ears would not rest with the constant questions and asking how many days to go. So looking fwd to Tandoori and the new guys pig n anchor. I've yet to attend tea time but planning on it this cruise. Enjoying your review very much. Thx