Just back from the Victory, any questions?

cuppycakemom

We just came back from doing the 4-day Victory sailing (Key West, Cozumel). If anyone has any questions, I'll do my best to answer them! If I get myself together over the next couple of days, I'll do a mini review with some photos and tips. I loved reading info specific to our ship before we left, and am hoping that I can get someone out there even more excited about their upcoming Victory Cruise!

Hi Cuppycakemom. On your cruise did the ship leave Cozumel at 10pm? If so, was dinner that night open seating or regular assigned seating? Thank you.

Yes, we did leave at 10PM. And, yes, they announced at dinner the evening before that everyone on the ship would have open seating in the dining rooms the evening of Cozumel :)

How was the weather?

We got VERY lucky with our weather, considering the rain that was happening in/near southern FL! We had many clouds, which probably kept it a bit cooler...however, only a very few times that we got rained on. Temps were in the mid-high 80s. We are not used to cruising in the warmer months, so the humidity about melted me, but we made it ;p

When you dock in Key West did you dock in Mallory Square or at the Naval yard? The same question for Cozumel, did you dock at Puerto Maya (which is where Carnival usually docks). Thanks for the help.

In Key West, we docked at the Naval Yard and had free trolleys to take us off of the military base and drop us near to Mallory Square. Of course, you needed to catch the free trolleys back to the ship, as well.

In Cozumel, yes, we were at Puerto Maya.

I look forward to reading your review. This will be my first time cruising on Carnival. So whatever helpful hints/tips you can provide would be appreciated. Also, what excursions did you do at each of the ports? Thanks for your time.

What kind of shape is the ship's interior in? It's been several years since we cruised on Victory but I'm considering her for next year, and I remember the interior really needed a refurb, with some rust showing on interior fittings (like near the elevators) and places where the paintwork had seemingly been rubbed off.

Also, what alternative dining options were available? I remember she had Mongolian Wok (my favorite!) but few -- if any -- other specialty dining options like Guy's. etc.

I look forward to reading your review. This will be my first time cruising on Carnival. So whatever helpful hints/tips you can provide would be appreciated. Also, what excursions did you do at each of the ports? Thanks for your time.

You're sweet. We are pretty easy going cruisers, so it will certainly be more jounal-ish, but like I said...I LOVED reading anything people were saying about our ship to get me excited!

As for excursions, this trip was my husband, myself (late 40s early 50s), our two daughters (ages 14 and 12), and my parents (late 60s/early 70s). Most of us have cruised to Key West and Cozumel before, and didn't really feel the urge to do official excursions. So, in Key West, we just walked down to the Southernmost Point and back to the trolley station, stopping to look at things along the way. In Cozumel, we just grabbed a taxi to Paradise Beach.

I"m going to try to start typing tonight, and if you have any other specific questions, just let me know! I'll try to post a link to the "review" in this thread if I get spunky :)

Edited by cuppycakemom

Do you happen to have the FunTimes? I'm leaving next Monday, and I'm trying to decide what outfits to pack! The daily itinerary would be extremely helpful! Ha!

You're in luck! Have them and scanned them! Let me get them uploaded for you. Hope they help.

I will be traveling on this ship in October. I have a few questions:

1. Are the light controlled with key card?

2. Are safes key pad or card?

3. Did your daughters utilize the teen club? If so, what were their opinions?

4. How was the entertainment (shows)?

5. Was lobster served for dinner one night? Daughter wants to know.

Thank you!

What kind of shape is the ship's interior in? It's been several years since we cruised on Victory but I'm considering her for next year, and I remember the interior really needed a refurb, with some rust showing on interior fittings (like near the elevators) and places where the paintwork had seemingly been rubbed off.

Also, what alternative dining options were available? I remember she had Mongolian Wok (my favorite!) but few -- if any -- other specialty dining options like Guy's. etc.

Take it for what it's worth, as I don't seem to notice the same "wear and tear" things that others do. I certainly didn't see anything THAT obvious.

As for alternative dining, she didn't still have the Mongolian Wok (I wish!), but there was a Deli and a Chinese Station that were near the main Buffet. There was a pizza place, the coffee/ice cream shop, the Taste Bar (mini appetizer before dinner), the Main Dining rooms (of course), but no steakhouse (you could get certain steakhouse selections in the main dining room for a fee of $20. There was also a Seafood Shack that is extra $$.

I believe I've read that she is heading into drydock early next year for some upgrades...you may want to check that out!

Take it for what it's worth, as I don't seem to notice the same "wear and tear" things that others do. I certainly didn't see anything THAT obvious.

As for alternative dining, she didn't still have the Mongolian Wok (I wish!), but there was a Deli and a Chinese Station that were near the main Buffet. There was a pizza place, the coffee/ice cream shop, the Taste Bar (mini appetizer before dinner), the Main Dining rooms (of course), but no steakhouse (you could get certain steakhouse selections in the main dining room for a fee of $20. There was also a Seafood Shack that is extra $$.

I believe I've read that she is heading into drydock early next year for some upgrades...you may want to check that out!

Victory is going in to dry dock in January. I'm very curious as to what she is getting as I'm currently trying to decide between her and the Liberty for an April anniversary cruise. Right now the Liberty is winning out as she has upgrades like Red Frog Rum Bar and Blue Iguana and Guys Burgers.

1. Are the light controlled with key card? Yes, the main cabin lights are. There are aux lights that do NOT need your card in the slot.

2. Are safes key pad or card? No clue. Never use them. Didn't look.

3. Did your daughters utilize the teen club? If so, what were their opinions? They didn't. Missed the meet and greet the first night. Looked at the "schedule" for Circle C and didn't really see much they cared about. This cruise was more about relaxing and spending time together than doing lots of stuff for us, for sure.

4. How was the entertainment (shows)? Saw the "Livin in America" show and thought is was decent. Heard lots of great things about Vrooom, but we didn't make it to that one. Also, we never got to the PG comedy shows in time for a seat...they were standing room only every time. We were too busy hanging with the kiddos to worry about heading to the R version.

5. Was lobster served for dinner one night? Daughter wants to know. Never for free. Only on the "pay $20 for the steakhouse selections" menu.