Longbearyen, Svalbard

We shall be visiting this port next month on Pacific Princess.

None of the tours really appeal to us.

It is such an unusual port that I am frightened of missing something good. Will we be OK doing our own thing? Or will there be private tours available ashore?

We shall be visiting this port next month on Pacific Princess.

None of the tours really appeal to us.

It is such an unusual port that I am frightened of missing something good. Will we be OK doing our own thing? Or will there be private tours available ashore?

MaxiTaxi Tours offer a two-hour trip in a mini-bus or coach which gives a nice oversight. There's a museum which is worthwhile to see, otherwise the town itself doesn't offer much. Some people go hiking ( only with a guide because of the danger of polar bears!) , riding or dog-sledding ( no snow! It's just a sled with wheels on the road!!), fossile hunting ( again with a guide plus gun) or boat trips.

Visitsvalbard.com gives you a lot of information about what to see and do. The main attraction, IMO is the bleak and strange-looking countryside.

svalbartdnordicvistor.com is also a helpful website.

Enjoy your cruise - we'll be visiting Spitsbergen (Svalbard) again this year, too! And we're very much looking forward to it!

MaxiTaxi Tours offer a two-hour trip in a mini-bus or coach which gives a nice oversight. There's a museum which is worthwhile to see, otherwise the town itself doesn't offer much. Some people go hiking ( only with a guide because of the danger of polar bears!) , riding or dog-sledding ( no snow! It's just a sled with wheels on the road!!), fossile hunting ( again with a guide plus gun) or boat trips.

Visitsvalbard.com gives you a lot of information about what to see and do. The main attraction, IMO is the bleak and strange-looking countryside.

svalbartdnordicvistor.com is also a helpful website.

Enjoy your cruise - we'll be visiting Spitsbergen (Svalbard) again this year, too! And we're very much looking forward to it!

Thank you for the information. I shall research those links!:)

Do we need to pre-book MaxiTours? Or are tours available on the dock side.

Do the tenders always get in?

Edited by timetravellers

Will we be OK doing our own thing? Or will there be private tours available ashore?

correct is: Longyearbyen - this means 'Longyear Town'

Did you still not receive special information about this destination from your cruise line? There are restrictions to protect environment and countless warnings of the polar bears!

Weather and ice conditions will also have an influence on your itinerary.

Get ice charts here:

http://polarview.met.no

Thank you for the information. I shall research those links!:)

Do we need to pre-book MaxiTours? Or are tours available on the dock side.

Do the tenders always get in?

I'd pre-book - it's easy to do and the tour doesn't cost much. We paid by credit card and chose as pick-up point "port". At the end of the tour you can either come back to your ship or the driver/guide will drop you off in the city centre. (Don't expect much, but some restaurants, souvenir shops and the museum.

When we were there nothing was offered at the dock, so it's better to decide now or book a ship's excursion - but these offer the same things you can book online at double or triple the price...

Don't forget to dress warmly. Last time we were there ( in June) we had sleet in the morning but then it warmed up to 5 degrees Celsius... (41F.)

I'd pre-book - it's easy to do and the tour doesn't cost much. We paid by credit card and chose as pick-up point "port". At the end of the tour you can either come back to your ship or the driver/guide will drop you off in the city centre. (Don't expect much, but some restaurants, souvenir shops and the museum.

When we were there nothing was offered at the dock, so it's better to decide now or book a ship's excursion - but these offer the same things you can book online at double or triple the price...

Don't forget to dress warmly. Last time we were there ( in June) we had sleet in the morning but then it warmed up to 5 degrees Celsius... (41F.)

Thanks Grayjay

Very useful information. I shall have a look at the websites and choose a tour.

I don't know if things have changed, but last time we cruised to Longyearbyen there definitely weren't any tours available upon arrival. You could walk into town, but that was it.

We booked a kayaking excursion through Spitsbergen Travel that took us across the fjord to the abandoned mining town. It was interesting, and our guide provided a lot of history about the area. Plus kayaking in the dry suit was a new experience for us. (Bonus: a curious seal surfaced briefly to check us out on the trip back!)

I don't know if things have changed, but last time we cruised to Longyearbyen there definitely weren't any tours available upon arrival. You could walk into town, but that was it.

We booked a kayaking excursion through Spitsbergen Travel that took us across the fjord to the abandoned mining town. It was interesting, and our guide provided a lot of history about the area. Plus kayaking in the dry suit was a new experience for us. (Bonus: a curious seal surfaced briefly to check us out on the trip back!)

Definitely need to pre-book then. Undecided between the Maxi Tours trip and the ship's bird watching excursion by boat which could be extremely cold and it looks like an open boat :(

Think I am too old for kayaking!!:D:D