First Timer on MSC Cruises

lifeasme123

We have predominately sailed with another cruise line over the years. We are burned out on the Pacific, Atlantic and Caribbean Sea cruising so decided to venture to Med next Summer 2017.

In my research I came across MSC Cruises and it caught my eyes for the following reasons:

1. It will match our Diamond status from Royal (which is awesome!).

2. Kids Sail Free

3. We want to try something different from the ships here in the US. I read MSC Cruises have more of a European flair, which will be nice.

4. Language classes for the little ones. That'll be cool she'll pick up a few European words.

So question for the experienced MSC cruisers. There are (3) ships I am considering for the Med: Orchestra, Splendida and Meraviglia. No reviews on Meraviglia since it is a new ship. Any feedback on Orchestra or Splendida is appreciated. I am particularly looking to know if the ships and cabins are run-down and really show their wear. The itineraries we are looking at has us in ports most, if not all, the cruise days. So I would at least like a decent cabin to sleep in.

Edited by jen70

We have predominately sailed with another cruise line over the years. We are burned out on the Pacific, Atlantic and Caribbean Sea cruising so decided to venture to Med next Summer 2017.

In my research I came across MSC Cruises and it caught my eyes for the following reasons:

1. It will match our Diamond status from Royal (which is awesome!).

2. Kids Sail Free

3. We want to try something different from the ships here in the US. I read MSC Cruises have more of a European flair, which will be nice.

4. Language classes for the little ones. That'll be cool she'll pick up a few European words.

So question for the experienced MSC cruisers. There are (3) ships I am considering for the Med: Orchestra, Splendida and Meraviglia. No reviews on Meraviglia since it is a new ship. Any feedback on Orchestra or Splendida is appreciated. I am particularly looking to know if the ships and cabins are run-down and really show their wear. The itineraries we are looking at has us in ports most, if not all, the cruise days. So I would at least like a decent cabin to sleep in.

I did 28 days on Orchestra in March/April just gone, as is the norm for MSC ships it was still shiny and glittering and not run down at all.

You can read my review , with lots of pictures included at the link below.

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=11371

In addition I shall be sailing on Splendida in 6 weeks time so will be able to report back on the appearance of the ship.

And I'm booked on Meraviglia for September next year.

So your choice of ship matches my choices exactly.

Pete

I did 28 days on Orchestra in March/April just gone, as is the norm for MSC ships it was still shiny and glittering and not run down at all.

You can read my review , with lots of pictures included at the link below.

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=11371

In addition I shall be sailing on Splendida in 6 weeks time so will be able to report back on the appearance of the ship.

And I'm booked on Meraviglia for September next year.

So your choice of ship matches my choices exactly.

Pete

Awesome thanks Pete!!!

Just read through your review. Orchestra looks very nice and shiny. Good to know! Also, the itinerary you just sailed went to all the ports for our 12 day cruise in Dec/Jan this year. I have been able to find something to do in Martinique.

We are from the US and flying to Europe can be pricey, especially during the summers. Since we will have to pay for a plane ticket, I am looking at a B2B on MSC, 2nd leg to Greece. So I will look into another MSC ship.

I usually cruise Princess,in January I will be on the Divina for 10 days. I am curious how formal they are. Princess has gotten more smart casual for formal night.

Thanks

Diana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually cruise Princess,in January I will be on the Divina for 10 days. I am curious how formal they are. Princess has gotten more smart casual for formal night.

Thanks

Diana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That changes from cruise to cruise but overall i think MSC is more formal.

I had a great cruise aboard Fantasia, the sister ship of Splendida, over last Christmas, visiting Italy, Greece and Israel. You can read my review here: http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=527019

Great review! My mom has been wanting to go to Jerusalem for years. I'm glad I read your review. Did you feel pretty safe on the excursion?