Water Taxi to Great bay beach.

yorkshire1975

I don't swim there do to ongoing pollution issues but as for snorkeling I have never heard of Great Bay having any worthwhile snorkeling. You can get there via water taxi and the all day fare is $7 still I believe. There are plenty of places that rent chairs and umbrellas. I have eaten at the Ocean Lounge on the boardwalk and they have free wifi for guests and I have heard that they rent chairs and umbrellas as well.

• 2 weeks later...

First this is NOT a recommendation as I don't have first hand experience. That said I've been looking for things to do too, and am considering Great Bay; I found one of the hotels/bars on the boardwalk have a FB page and on there they should a board they have with the following offer: 2 chairs, 1 umbrella, 4 drinks and use of facilities (Wifi, Shower & Bathroom) for $25. I think it the bar that is part of Holland House Beach Hotel.

We did this a few years back at the last minute as my daughter wasn't feeling great so we wanted to be close to the ship - grabbed the water taxi - when you're first walking down the boardwalk area when you get off the water taxi, there's a lot of people asking if you want a chair - it's a little aggravating. However, we just walked a bit further down and ended up getting chairs from a nice guy - he set us up for $5 a chair and $5 for an umbrella. Also got 6 beers for $12 (!!). Then there was a young guy who got food for us from the restaurants and delivered right to our beach chair. It was great.

Not a great snorkeling spot, but nice place to lay in the sun and swim. Kids went on the big water trampoline. We enjoyed it there.

First this is NOT a recommendation as I don't have first hand experience. That said I've been looking for things to do too, and am considering Great Bay; I found one of the hotels/bars on the boardwalk have a FB page and on there they should a board they have with the following offer: 2 chairs, 1 umbrella, 4 drinks and use of facilities (Wifi, Shower & Bathroom) for $25. I think it the bar that is part of Holland House Beach Hotel.

I can recommend the restaurant at the Holland House as I have eaten there several times over the years. They do have free wifi for customers of the Ocean Lounge which is the restaurant there. It's on the boardwalk with an ocean view.

If you do not have mobility issues, the walk is so fast. Once outside the gate it is less than 10 minute walk. From the dock area to the beach is about a 16 minute walk. We walk and our friends usually take the water taxi. Many times we have gotten there first. We like the guy by the blue umbrellas. I think if you walk it, it is the 2nd set of umbrellas. I think his name is Brian.

He will also give you a code for wifi to use at the beach.