Mazatlan Private Tour

Geo.714

I'm looking for recommendations for a private tour while in Mazatlan. We're on a Thanksgiving cruise this year. On our last trip to Mazatlan, we booked a van through Mazatlan Frank. It was a great experience and we're eager to do that again.

I tried to get a hold of Frank, but to no avail. So, I'm looking for another reliable tour operator in Mazatlan that can arrange a private van tour for my family (10 of us).

Suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your suggestion. We booked with Mazatlan Tours and they are picking us up in a Mercedes Sprinter Van at the cruise terminal. Everything was easy and rates were fair. Looking forward to getting to Mazatlan. Thank you.

This not going to be a huge help to you but I did have communication with Mazatlan Frank a few years ago and he had moved to Canada when the cruise ships stopped calling at Mazatlan and I don't think he has returned yet. The other bit of bad news is that Mazatlan Tours are just a broker of tours. I am sure that most of the tours work just fine but we booked thru them 3 or 4 years ago in PV and due to some incidents we were about 3 hours late returning to the port. Fortunately Mazatlan had been cancelled at that time and we were spending the night in PV.....but if we weren't we would gave missed the ship. When we contacted Mazatlan Tours they were good enough to return our fee but that would have been little solace if we had missed the ship. So caveat emptor

Your welcome, glad you found something you liked.

Always beware of ship time and port time and of course tour times. I always only use online tour companys when the tours are less then 6 hours, and or I get back with 1-1 1l2 hrs. to spare. For far away excursions I book with the cruise ship. I'm sure you will be just fine, have a great time.

Happy Crusing!

Edited by PekingeseLady

• 3 weeks later...

We ended up booking a van with Mazatlan Van Tours. They were helpful and attentive and very nice to deal with. We ended up getting a 5 - 6 hour tour in a private van that will comfortably seat all 10 of us. Total cost was $250 plus driver tip.

The "tour guide" will take us for a city tour, cliff divers, and other sights around town (we want to stop and see the cathedral), and then we're going to the Venados Baseball Stadium. Our nephew may be playing his winter ball in the Mexican league next year for some development work, so he wants to see the stadium.

Lunch on the beach, a short trip to the Golden Zone for shopping and then either back to the ship or drop off at Senor Frogs to finish the day.

Either way, it was cheap enough and with plenty of time to spare so getting back to the ship will be easy. Can't wait. 19 Days to go and counting.

Where are they taking you for lunch? Is it included in the $250?

I don't recall the name of the restaurant, but we've been there before and it's right on the beach. The seafood is to die for. We had a table of shrimp with all the fixings and different fish dishes, rice, beans, tortillas, etc.

The owner of the restaurant bought us several shots of tequila so needless to say, we all had a great time. We invited our driver to lunch with us, but he had some errands to run. Lunch was not included in the tour price. I think our lunch bill was $15PP including lunch, drinks, and tip.

I'm going to try and find the same place, but if not, well, we'll just start a new fun experience at a different restaurant. There are so many good places to eat, it won't be hard.

Sounds like you are all set. Enjoy your tour.

I'm a little sad that Mazatlan Frank has not returned. I'm sure the downturn there really hurt him. My family and friends thoroughly enjoyed our tour with him several years ago.

Yeah, miss Frank too. A little disappointed I never heard back from him after emailing several times. But, we're looking forward to our tour with Mazatlan Van Tours. They've been great to work with so far.